hi guys
this phone is very very good for me and all users;
but why not support gif images?
can anyone help me to open this type of images?

The Following User Says Thank You to mosiomm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 404 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dehradun,India
Originally Posted by mosiomm View Post
hi guys
this phone is very very good for me and all users;
but why not support gif images?
can anyone help me to open this type of images?
well N900 does open gif images but the image doesnt move like it should in image viewer.
You can open gif images with MicroB(the in-built web browser if you prefer that)

Just type the full path of the gif image in the address bar and there you go

/home/user/MyDocs/.images/abc.gif

I know its long process but thats the way or maybe someone knows a better one

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raaj13 For This Useful Post:
tnks for repley
but my question is:
is any program that open this files bey one click?
maybe n9 apps have this feature!
can any body Introduction to me programs of n9 that support gif images?that i test them on my n900

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
This reminds me, where are file type associations stored? When I install an app and click on a file used by that app in File Manager, the app starts and opens the file. When I uninstall said app and later click on such a file, File Manager gives me a list of apps to select from to open the file with. So clearly the associations are kept somewhere the (un)install process can access. How can I change the association if I change my mind? That might be an answer to the OP's needs too. Just associate GIF with MicroB and job done...

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
This reminds me, where are file type associations stored? When I install an app and click on a file used by that app in File Manager, the app starts and opens the file. When I uninstall said app and later click on such a file, File Manager gives me a list of apps to select from to open the file with. So clearly the associations are kept somewhere the (un)install process can access. How can I change the association if I change my mind? That might be an answer to the OP's needs too. Just associate GIF with MicroB and job done...
Have been looking into that just need to find where association are stored.

Ok so i found the file.

"/usr/share/applications/defaults.list"

so for the gif image to open in web browser to need to add a line in web browser one and delete gif association with image viewer.

root
vi /usr/share/applications/defaults.list
OR if you have leafpad or any other text editor(just change leafpad to you text editor name) installed
leafpad /usr/share/applications/defaults.list

add the following line in browser supported mime types section
image/gif=hildon-browser.desktop

and in image viewer section delete the following line
image/gif=image-viewer.desktop

save the file and you are good to go.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raaj13 For This Useful Post:
hi
i can change the default program like imageviewer to qimageviewer
and my learn is in this link but persian language:
http://mobilestan.biz/showthread.php?t=217699
but you can translate this in en....
now is any program that support gif images?
qimageviewer and geeqie not support
and maybe n9 apps(that install with meecolay ) support this format!

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
ladoga, mentioned elsewhere that instead of always playing with root files; a user file would be a safer option...

A defaults.list file with even one line that you require located in /home/user/.local/share/applications/ should override that one line in /usr/share/applications/defaults.list.

You can create the file if it doesn't exist and put your own line(s) for those formats you want to open with some other application.

Therefore, modifying the root defaults.list isn't required and if anything ever goes wrong you can delete the user file in /home/user/.local/share/applications/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
ladoga, mentioned elsewhere that instead of always playing with root files; a user file would be a safer option...

A defaults.list file with even one line that you require located in /home/user/.local/share/applications/ should override that one line in /usr/share/applications/defaults.list.

You can create the file if it doesn't exist and put your own line(s) for those formats you want to open with some other application.

Therefore, modifying the root defaults.list isn't required and if anything ever goes wrong you can delete the user file in /home/user/.local/share/applications/
Thanks didn't know there was another way.

Don't know of any program that opens gif image on N9 since I dont own one.

Also in microb you always press Ctrl+O to browse and open gif image.(was looking at shortcuts and foud this)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raaj13 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by raaj13 View Post
Thanks didn't know there was another way.

Don't know of any program that opens gif image on N9 since I dont own one.

Also in microb you always press Ctrl+O to browse and open gif image.(was looking at shortcuts and foud this)
I haven't tried .gif images on the N9 or the N900 but thought to share about this since I learned it from ladoga a few days ago...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post: