Active Topics

newsbot | Posts: 94 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2005
The Nokia 770 makes [LINK:
http://www.cnet.com/4520-11524-6478472.html?tag=cnetfd.sd] CNET`s Worst
Tech of 2006 and is listed as the "Worst-rated product that CNET readers
love." From CNET:

This thing, it surfs Internet. You want to make phone call? You can`t make
phone call. You like Ethernet? No Ethernet. You get Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is nice.
No wires! You like slow load times? Yes? It is good for that. You like
battery that lasts more than three hours? It does not have one. Nice
screen, though.

Let us hear your thoughts about this....
Read the full article.

"Worst-rated product that CNET readers love."

So, in fact, journalists are telling everyone that the 770 is really bad but users don't care and like it !

Well, I guess it's good point for the 770...

Why do everyone want this device to be something it's not? They should read some information about the Nokia 770 before ranting about it. If they did, they would know it doesn't have a phone. If it's a phone they want, then buy one of all the mobile phones in the world, and then they can sit there with a device that will be obsolete within 3 months and doesn't have a future. Me on the other hand, I enjoy the openess of the 770, developers can actually develop software for it in an OS that doesn't have severe, serious problems with exactly everything. The firmware is upgradable and distributed for *free*. Which mobile phone can do that?

No ethernet? Well, the 770 was meant to be a wireless device, so therefore, no ethernet port. It's actually as simple as that.

Why do I get the feeling that they're trying to make a chicken out of a feather? If it's a high-end device they want, then buy one. I think the people buying the 770 knows what it's suppossed to do and not do, but they bought it because they're happy with the advertised features.

I know the 770 isn't all perfect, but it's all about software. Everyone with programming skills know that. Right now the software is slow at times, but that's really fixable and in fact, they're already fixing it.

Seems like those "journalists" really have to get a clue before typing down rubbish like this...

EDIT: forgot about the battery. It all depends on how you handle it. I thought everyone knew that for a rechargable battery to reach full capacity, you've got to charge it fully, then "uncharge" it completely, and repeat that process a couple of times. Next time, please read the fscking manual.

And for the record, my battery lasts longer than three hours when connected via wifi. I'd say about 4 hours.

Last edited by maba; 2006-04-03 at 15:02.

Do you drink coffee while surfing? no built-in coffee-machine . Watch 3 movies that easily fit on the mini-mmc , but greater than life using a beamer? No VGA-output . Dings and scratches after using it as a hammer Discounting it over several years when used professionally? Not expensive enough ... I could go on and on and on

I wonder what they expect : "a phone with RJ-45 ethernet plug" .... Weird...

And I don't understand this battery thing. My battery last for 2 days without problem. If I use my 770 a lot (I mean "a lot"), it's only a bit more than a full day.

Battery life?
I think they used wrong scale
1 hour = 3 Real hours.

No ethernet connector?
Who needs wires this days?

Can not make call?
Who said it is a phone?

Looks like Nokia didn't kiss the right butts over at Cnet. I bet if it was the Sony 770 they would be offering to have its baby.

The tech media dreaming of being king-makers/breakers. Nothing new here.

The reviewers at Cnet just don't get the 770. And by putting it on that list, they are pointing that out. This isn't the first time the user ratings have diverged from the Cnet rating, but the discrepancy in this case is pretty notable. On the other hand, a lot of people want a SIM card in every portable device it seems, never mind the fact that each SIM card means another cellular plan. I wish I had a SIM card port in my skull, but I'd like just one cell phone bill, thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The original negative reviews made me laugh after I finally had a 770 in my hands. Ever clicked on cnn.com under IE in WinXP and on the 770 at the same time? The 770 takes about 5-10 seconds longer to load the page - - than a #$&*#&*$&* P4 3.0GHz with a gig of RAM. Not bad for a scrappy 220mhz ARM processor with 64mb of RAM.

- - and on the side; the ethernet comment slayed me. I laughed so hard over that. Imagine it. A handheld, smaller than a book... with a big 'ole ugly blue cord coming out. Hi. I'm Hedgecore, and when I enjoy my mobile devices, I like being tethered to the wall.

So far as it not being a phone, I've got a pen here with a Microsoft logo on it... it's not like I expect to have to reboot it every 3 minutes to keep it writing.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ So. California
I'm new here so forgive my just jumping in, but I just couldn't help myself.

The bottom line for me was pretty simple. As a little test, I tried to load the article on my cell phone. It wouldn't work. It loaded on my 770 over wifi just fine. Oh, and by the way the 770 has been sitting on my desk all day logged into IRC over that same wifi. It must be hard for CNET to come up with reviews for products they have never actually used in practice.
This was posted from my 770 BTW.

-Faentur