Originally Posted by Estel View Post
when we're talking about moderators - time to kill this thread?
not yet! still its a healthy debate completely under control!

Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 6030 -> Nokia N95 -> Nokia X6 -> Nokia N900 -> Nokia N9 -> Nokia Lumia 1520

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to praveenchand For This Useful Post:
Posts: 137 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Drama, Greece
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Lack of tolerance on TMO? WTFO, GTFO U noob.
I don't mean to offend you vi_ but this is in my hamble opinion intolerance

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andreas.k For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by andreas.k View Post
i don't mean to offend you vi_ but this is in my hamble opinion intolerance
+ 1

Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 6030 -> Nokia N95 -> Nokia X6 -> Nokia N900 -> Nokia N9 -> Nokia Lumia 1520

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
It's not about expressing your opinion. There is difference, when you politely say what you think, and there are facts, and there are some thoughts, but you need to know place and time.

I think it's more disrespectful to others when you do not follow common internet/forum rules, and post before you search, when you start new threads for things that exist. It's like saying that your opinion/post/thread is better than one already made. That they instead of search they easy on start the new topic, that means they appreciate their time more valuable than others.

That's just disrespect and not about opinions...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
ehm, reading this thread made me sad. A guy here makes a long, well thought piece of text, politely stating that he believes there is not much tolerance in tmo, and backs it up.

Some of us reply and disagree which is fine. But turning this thing around blaming newcomers for infuriating us and trying to rationalize our otherwise antisocial behaviour is sad. Saying that we should increase moderation and make new members jump through hoops to be accepted is recognizing that we indeed are intolerant and impolite but it's their fault and they should be banned.

I think that Dousan's message can only be used by keeping it in mind next time we post a reply and nothing else. If a poster makes you write something you believe you shouldn't be writing just hit that back button and leave. It's better to leave a new thread that has 4 duplicates die, and will give the OP more incentive to search than replying RTFM and cause flamewars. It will also leave the active topics list fast and info will not be unnecessarily spread.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-05-24 at 22:01.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
It's not about expressing your opinion. There is difference, when you politely say what you think, and there are facts, and there are some thoughts, but you need to know place and time.

I think it's more disrespectful to others when you do not follow common internet/forum rules, and post before you search, when you start new threads for things that exist. It's like saying that your opinion/post/thread is better than one already made. That they instead of search they easy on start the new topic, that means they appreciate their time more valuable than others.

You are absolutely right on this! but there are other cases too which require moderation / intervention by the respected people!

The Following User Says Thank You to praveenchand For This Useful Post:
Posts: 137 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Drama, Greece
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post

When I first registered here I read the forum rules about posting and followed them, In some cases the newcomer, is so anxious to know the answer to his question that he doesnt even think about reading posting rules, (eg when he has a software problem with his phone or he doesnt know english very well to read the rulles). I believe that everybody deserves a first and even a second opportunity especially when they are new on this and every other community, older more experiened members should have the courage and the patience to explain the rules and help. After all this is what a community is, a place to get help, personally I dont forget the kindness of the members that helped me from the start on our lovely community.

i guess intolerance is a somewhat excessive a word in at least the 1st context (posters about other platforms)

a few weeks ago there were a couple TMOers who decided to replace their N900 with an Android device & created a thread to tell this.
mostly to thank the community for the nice time they had on TMO, using their N900s & all the apps on 'em
most replies were along the line of "sorry to see you go, good luck with your new device..."
some were insulting but not to an extend that moderators stepped in.

general argument "this and this app / OS / device is better then Maemo / N900 / N9"
most of the time it is obviously trolling.
the general rule (don't feed the troll) should apply but... not everybody has the discipline / ness to follow suite
calling TMO intolerant because of trolls?
whether they are only & purely trolls or whether they are just "fanboys" from another platform doesn't really matter.
don't like Maemo & Co.?
why do you come to TMO...

inexperienced users & questions thereof...
yes, most "noobs" are lazy but...
  • vbulletin's search feature simply sucks, plain & dumb
  • using Google to search TMO helps tremendously, but not everybody has learned to tame Google & get over all the "Sgam". or they tried but then found TMO and... what do you expect?

m2c

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
When I first registered here I read the forum rules about posting and followed them, In some cases the newcomer, is so anxious to know the answer to his question that he doesnt even think about reading posting rules, (eg when he has a software problem with his phone or he doesnt know english very well to read the rulles). I believe that everybody deserves a first and even a second opportunity especially when they are new on this and every other community, older more experiened members should have the courage and the patience to explain the rules and help. After all this is what a community is, a place to get help, personally I dont forget the kindness of the members that helped me from the start on our lovely community.
As you understand nowdays there are more "new" users than old ones, and maybe you are right on first time, but on other hand it would make it only worse. I'll explain myself:
e.g. there were about 14000 downloads on wazapp. Let's say only 0.5% would make new post which would be the same, which would be 70 posts/threads (don't laugh as we have already about 5 or more threads for that) and mostly it would be irrelevant question which has answer on first 5 pages. And maybe it's not that bad, BUT... more data you have about wazapp it would make it harder to find answer for those who use search, so it actually leading us that even those that use search would need to ask again, even though they did use search. So it would make it harder and harder, and than it would be like with google, when once you had all answers on first page and today you may get a lot of irrelevant results...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
I don't mean to offend you vi_ but this is in my hamble opinion intolerance
He at least have sense of irony and humor... Isn't it obvious to You, that it was pun @ thread title? Especially, that 2nd line starts with "seriously though"...

C'mon, this thread is becoming kind of absurd (or was it from beginning?)

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
dirty jokes, douchecopters, dousan=hero!, internet scorn, intolerance, just stupid, litenup francis, welikeitourway