Active Topics

well am trying to get hold of a nexus 4 but there are features that am really going to miss, and people constantly keep going on about how android is open and blah blah blah and customizable, so certain features like double tap to wake

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1239240

someone found a way to implement it. am going to see if anyones made a way to have notification on a low power type screen next till I have a phone I want and can live with in a cross between the two systems.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
FYI,

There is noled available from the Play Store that does low power screen with notifications in a slightly ugly way... Try it out...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2013-01-09 at 13:05. Reason: Link added

thank you, i'll have to check it out, since the nexus 4 comes with a screen saver type of system am going to see if that can be editted to remove random pictures and if instead could display notifications.

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
thank you, i'll have to check it out, since the nexus 4 comes with a screen saver type of system am going to see if that can be editted to remove random pictures and if instead could display notifications.
Isn't the N4 a LCD? If so then its not really a good idea to use noled but instead use the built-in system that has a standby screen type of implementation only when plugged into a charger... I've a SGS2 and using the latest cynanogen nightly it has the latter implementation but I disable it due to noled...

Let us know how you go on in obtaining your n4 mate, I'm considering ditching the n9 for something else

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Let us know how you go on in obtaining your n4 mate, I'm considering ditching the n9 for something else
Nexus are always good for stock but honestly xda has a lot of custom ROMs etc so the Samsung Galaxy-series IMO is much better than the Nexus...

If you want to get a Droid, then go with a Samsung either S3 or Note1or2 due to the expandable storage, replaceable batteries and good developer support...

Even touchwiz for all the flak it gets is not 100% poor; it usually has full codec support and utilities that are really helpful... Until a few days ago I was using the leaked S3-JB touchwiz ROM on my S2 and it was really usable and seamless unlike stock android where you need codecs etc

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
carphone warehouse in UK, it's an extra 100quid but I really don't want to wait since this N9's battery life isn't doing me any favors at the moment, I've had enough of constantly re-flashing it and have a trip that I need a solid reliable phone for

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Don't know how but Nokia managed standby screen on LCD's too (see 701), I tried to do that on the N900 thinking that I could set the backlight to very low or even off but the screen alone on the N900 drains very much battery.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

am actually selling my N9 while it did its duty, I can sell it without another thought, but my N900 that's something I don't want to part with

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Nexus are always good for stock but honestly xda has a lot of custom ROMs etc so the Samsung Galaxy-series IMO is much better than the Nexus...

If you want to get a Droid, then go with a Samsung either S3 or Note1or2 due to the expandable storage, replaceable batteries and good developer support...

Even touchwiz for all the flak it gets is not 100% poor; it usually has full codec support and utilities that are really helpful... Until a few days ago I was using the leaked S3-JB touchwiz ROM on my S2 and it was really usable and seamless unlike stock android where you need codecs etc
While the S3 is a great device, the 1GB RAM (actually 850-ish, rest is reserved) it packs is way too little.
TouchWiz is huge, it's not that effecient, if you flash a stock AOSP/AOKP/CyanogenMod (closest to Google stock) ROM, you'll be fine, else you'll be running out of memory a lot.

I'd suggest the EU LTE S3 (GT-i9305), but I don't think that'll be very popular on xda, so go for the Nexus 4 or the Note 2.

Or just get the i9305, it's a good way to get into development yourself.