Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
The intention is to make it easier, especially for beginners, to find helpful information in long threads.
And for providers to give it.

Some suggestions in order to invite more ideas :

1) Implement a special tag (for posts, not threads), e.g. Manual, Tip, Instruction, Reference or similar. It could be a reserved word, e.g. "&Manual".
( Here and below & represents a seldom used searchable, special character.)
This tag could be added (e.g. as a word first or last) in any POST giving help on how to use an application or feature of an OS or device.

If technically possible, any registered user should be able to add (only) this to any post. The starter of a thread + anyone he/she chooses + admins would then be allowed to remove such a tag.
( An extra button called e.g. "How-To" on posts in some subforums? The corresponding tag included in the tag cloud? )

Comments like "this has been mentioned many times" (and "search first") might become history.

2) If technically feasible, implement the possibility for the thread starter to add a #zero post (where edits by registered users could be allowed) to an application thread.
Application users who want manuals could search for the "special tag" and compile results into this page.
The main contributors to a thread could, as needed, edit this #zero post.

When the need for a wiki arises, much of the work would already be done.

3) If this can't be done, similar help could be added this way :

As necessary (when a thread grows long), any user can add a post headed with a specially designated word, e.g. "&Reference", and list in it post numbers (with short comments) where he/she has found help on how to use the application or OS.
Can a post number easily be made into a link (automagically in its own thread) ?
(without quoting and - if suitable - erasing most of the content, without searching for the URL of a single post)

Users can just search the thread for "&Reference".
Or a user could start an additional thread, e.g. named "&Manual <app. name>", intended for users to post collected info on how to use the application.
( A good place for e.g. Bunanson's well built step by step guides ? )
Or the thread starter might wish to add lists of post numbers/links (and edit the comments) from "&Reference" posts to a "&Manual" section at the end of the first post.

Anyhow, referencing posted help should not burden the main contributors to a thread.

A guideline on how the forum wants users to do this could be added to the subforum stickie.
(A fair amount of user discipline would have to be expected.)

( I am just brainstorming a bit, and you will probably notice that I have no experience on how a forum evolves.)

Wish List )
Of course, something similar to any of the above, or some other better idea, must first be well thought out, or a new chaos could grow on top of the existing complexity.

Please brainstorm on this !
What is needed is, I think, something really simple and yet sufficiently efficient.

Maybe a method can be found that is suitable for several subforums.
Any good ideas could lead to an easier life on the forum, both for application developers, beta testers and beginners looking for help.

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
[sarcasm]it's all so simple[/sarcasm]

try the search link in my sig.