Originally Posted by qole View Post
Like fatalsaint said, you can get it via Easy Debian. I compiled a small C program on my device a few weeks ago.
And if it runs on Easy Debian.. I'd almost guarantee it can be made to run on maemo.

If the dependencies were there i'd bet the binary would "just run" from the debian packages. Could prolly take all the debian packages, and their dependencies, and just repackage them, optifying them, and installing them on maemo.

It'd probably work.. not sure if it's been tried. No real reason to.

That's another thing... The N900/NIT is the only device(s) I know of where you could actually design software for it - right on the device (non-interpreted apps)! Plot down Easy Debian, launch LXDE, load the QT or GTK libraries.. fire up an IDE - Write, Compile, package, move from Easy Debian to Maemo and go.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
n900 best feature as an internet tablet..??

i can blame grammer and spelling mistakes on the small keys!

Originally Posted by slender View Post
Huge amount of money to Nokias pocket and realizing that you paid for Potential. People making work with this device and right now it´s perhaps as not reliable as it should be in that kind of environment. But yep YMMV.

Actually I´am quite happy eventhought you might think other when reading my posts
What I meant was in terms of people getting outrageously frustrated over a phone.

Any-who, consumer dissonance is never fun.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
that new htc is gonna rip the hd2 apart- its basically the same phone but with a quality os.

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
they is a funny snobbery on these boards against the iphone- its quite funny..

"In any case I dont believe HTC, Apple, google is any match for Nokia hardware or software wise. They only excel at HYPE marketing and branding. Nokia does real research and has the patents to prove it."

lol could you honestly honestly advise the masses to get any nokia over an iphone- seriously, what would average joe or even someone that wants alot out of there phone(mms/email/gps/games).

i love the nokia but lets get real here, the difference isnt marketing its function
Of course I'll advice a lot of people to buy e.g. the Nokia 5800XM over the iPhone for a number of reason, cost, openess, great sound quality, flash in camera, flash support in browser, build quality and most of all functionality. A lot of feature / dumb phone users expect to be able to transfer files via bluetooth, plug in their phone to any computer and easily add mp3 by drag and drop (no iTunes), run Nimbuzz and other apps in the background, run Java apps, GPS Nav with stored maps; a lot of users actually like the idea of setting their own ringtone, wall paper, theme i.e. general customisation. I could go on and on but I guess I've made my point. There is more to functionality than seductive UI.

So yes Apple is big on HYPE marketing (here in the UK, the iPhone has seen more TV time than all of Nokia smartphones put together) and branding plus spiced up UI. Nokia is big on function. Yes they need to improve usability, but if the stats are anything to go by, 100s of millions of users prefer its function over form - and not having to pay an arm and a leg for it .

I dont even need to advice anyone as the masses are buying the Nokia 5800XM in droves. Its the biggest selling smartphone in the UK and the top music player (as at April 2009).

Dont get carried away by the HYPE tsunami.

Next ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Enyibinakata For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by twoboxen View Post
The nexus one reveal is also showing a lot of new features in Android 2.1. Every version Google is throwing some really useful new features in.

My favorites from 2.0? REAL navigation software... OVI maps looks RIDICULOUS next to that. Also, the voice command is so useful.
My favorite from 2.1? Voice entry in any field! Real email dictation. The 3D integrated into the core OS is really nice, too.

Android does this and Nokia can't push out bug fixes, much less new features? I don't buy the "it just came out" argument or the "step 4 of 5" defense. This is supposed to be a premiere device, but the OS is supposed to be the 4th generation of a "mature" OS. Why does my exchange still not work? Where is the innovation???

The hardware is nice, but I'm REALLY wanting to find some other motivated people to work with on porting Android. I had hoped to fall in love with Maemo/Nokia. I'm holding onto hope, but with Nokia's lack of communication and lack of innovation, it might not be too long before i look to sell this guy and move to a Nexus One. I'll miss the keyboard, but I won't need it as much with voice entry and multi-touch.
I am on the same page as you are!! Thanks for asking the right question. I would love to see Android OS working on N900 with all the GIG.

The Following User Says Thank You to Foodie N900 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
keep a charged up mobile phone in your pocket in case your N900 gets drained?
Only problem with that is that means

a) either paying for a seperate cell phone plan

b) tethering the N900 to seperate cell phone plan (which would consume both batteries)

c) switch out the SIM card, but that means opening the N900, taking out the battery (which is hard!) and removing the SIM. Putting all that other stuff back in the N900, then open up the other phone, put the SIM in that one)

Sadly outside of carrying two devices (which I did for a while before the N900 arrived, n800 and tethering it to a cell phone) there's no way would normally want to use the N900 completly like you did the n800 unless you have an alternative power supply nearby (AC, DC, power pack, spare battery, etc..). Simply because like I said, if you run out of juice, there goes your phone capability.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Foodie N900 View Post
I am on the same page as you are!! Thanks for asking the right question. I would love to see Android OS working on N900 with all the GIG.
Easier option for you why not get an android phone?

Originally Posted by somedude View Post
Easier option for you why not get an android phone?
I like the storage/widget/different Desktops etc that is not available on android phones. eg.. I have about 8 movies stored on my N900.

I could not decide which one to buy
Android has lots of headset now while maemo 5 has a single headset.
Also it looks like android has more developers than maemo.
Also its Darvik VM is more suitable for me because I am a Java developer.
I could not decide which one to use Nexus One or n900.
(I already bought a n900 but did not open yet.)