Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I'm not so sure how to see it any other way, honestly. Feels like all our stuff is being dumped for whatever the Intel guys feel is best and I want so badly to be wrong and to think that there was a point to everything we've done here. Instead, it feels like the towel is being thrown in.
What we need (and the limited documentation available doesn't help) is a clear-cut comparison of the architecture of Maemo, the architecture of Moblin, and what pieces were taken of each other for MG.

For starters, low level kernel stuff is probably different: x86 and ARM. But on top of that? Are they using Maemo UI for smaller handhelds, Moblin UI for bigger handhelds...? Are there UI guidelines somewhere? oFono...? Telepathy...? Etc etc??

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
We don't even know if they have plans to keep Council around or anything else at this point.
I think the key think I've realised today is that there is no "they". Consciously, no thought seems to have been given to anything other than commercials and technology at this point - even the technicians, like dirkhh, have been involved in the website and mailing lists which, given their positions, can't be a long term strategy :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RenegadeFanboy View Post
I think one of the clear values of maemo is that there is end user focus here. It could be improved - as the N900 experience has shown - but the meego site looks like maemo.org some years ago:
every user is expected to be a power user/community champion/developer.
Well, as you point out there's been change here, so we could change MeeGo by joining o'er there. I'm no developer, still I joined. I posed a question on the MeeGo front page about their intention to open up for discussion threads being initiated by others than their official bloggers. Perhaps they see no value in it, and want it to stay strictly a developer community. So be it. It may actually help them to stay focused and get less of the kind of pointless flaming behavior and wasted energy. However, if they are interested in the community aspect beyond just getting developers to work for free on the platform, they may open up a discussion forum of some type. I admit however that I've grown addicted to this forum, our members, the breadth of interest, threads and the sheer convenience of all the features. Not sure it could be duplicated somewhere else.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gadgety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Gadgety View Post
I posed a question on the MeeGo front page about their intention to open up for discussion threads being initiated by others than their official bloggers.
Just joined you on that I've started this whole thread out of the belief that we have a chance to influence things for meego too. It worked for maemo, right?

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RenegadeFanboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Just joined you on that
Did that as well.

I'm such a sheep running with the trendy flow.

One thing I would like to see in MeeGo from the current Maemo community is the forum itself! So,

No. 1. Maemo Talk forums
A few months ago I would have agreed wholeheartedly, but I can't help thinking MeeGo will be better off without what I see here now :-(

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Ok... so what is it that Moblin brings?

I hope customer service and support.

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
A few months ago I would have agreed wholeheartedly, but I can't help thinking MeeGo will be better off without what I see here now :-(
Too late. As I said, I already joined.

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Moblin seems to be a 100% "industry" based open-source community. They have no forum, almost dead mailing list and governance fully based on corporate members.
i.e. design by committee, which is the antithesis of everything we have here at maemo.org.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Michigan, USA
I'm not so sure how to see it any other way, honestly. Feels like all our stuff is being dumped for whatever the Intel guys feel is best and I want so badly to be wrong and to think that there was a point to everything we've done here. Instead, it feels like the towel is being thrown in.

We don't even know if they have plans to keep Council around or anything else at this point.
Yes, unfortunately, I kinda feel this way too. Maemo is a great OS with a great community behind it, and Moblin is yet another netbook OS (and netbooks are generally considered a fad). This might sound selfish, but we (Nokia/Maemo) have the better OS for the market that matters (mobile devices), we should be calling the shots.

And yet Intel seems to be the main force behind the now infamous change to a Fedora-like system with .rpm, etc.