Notices

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by junooni View Post
I can understand for the paid apps that they get paid so they put alot of effort into it but what about those thousands of free aaps.
From evey aspect from graphics, to the actual funtion of those aaps are so flawless and practical but here with my phone its kinda different.
I know it's a very young & new OS, but all im saying that do you guys think that apple developers or iphone progerammers can develop apps much faster than programmers for N900 or maemo.
Maemo is actually older than iPhone OS so I think that's not the reason. Could it be that since Apple has been regarded as more usability centered than other manufacturers, it has attracted people that value usability? (Don't know if they develop any faster, I'm thinking graphics and actual function of the apps)
Linux platforms on the other hand has attracted hardcore tinkerers who want to have full control on everything. So both platforms have different kind of developer base which leads to different kind of applications. At least I have read from many threads in here that many people don't rank usability and user experience that high. It's more important have all the bells and whistles.
Of course this is not totally black and white but in general, I think this is the reason. What do you think?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mixu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
And as for mono, you can try and use it but it's something that will forever be behind Microsoft, never quite able to be current.
Actually, it's not the goal of Mono to chase Microsoft.
Sure it lags behind in features, but they clearly said that they don't want to port any Windows-specific things (such as WPF), but rather the underlying platform.
It's not the goal to have all .NET applications for Windows run on Linux, but rather the ability to use this platform to develop for also Linux.

With Mono, you can use Gtk#, which is almost what Gtk+ is (and that is already present on the N900), so the charm of Mono is that I can use the same development environment with my favourite language to write code for my favourite mobile computer.

With .NET, this is it: I compile it once (doesn't matter it I do it with Visual Studio, MonoDevelop, csc, mcs, whatever), and it can run on every supported platform with the same executable.
Noone knows what is so good about it until he uses it for some time. Because of JIT compilation, the code automatically gets optimized for the processor it runs on, and you don't have to recompile it for every OS or architecture.

The other good point is object orientedness. (Although some people don't like it.) And you no longer have to care about managing the memory, nor the rigidness of the C++ languge, nor versions or dependency problems. The different versions of the same libraries can coexist without any problems.
(It is a SHAME that they couldn't do this with Qt.)

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Qt is hopefully going to change a lot in Maemo/MeeGo app development.
It's a comprehensive well documented API with lots of examples, it's driven by Nokia, it has an enjoyable yet powerful IDE (Qt Creator), and with the MADDE cross compilation tool, you won't have to get the awkward Scratchbox environment running for app development any more.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Qt is hopefully going to change a lot in Maemo/MeeGo app development.
It's a comprehensive well documented API with lots of examples, it's driven by Nokia, it has an enjoyable yet powerful IDE (Qt Creator), and with the MADDE cross compilation tool, you won't have to get the awkward Scratchbox environment running for app development any more.
Yeah, but they couldn't manage to run Qt 4.5 and Qt 4.6 alongside each other.
For this reason, they are changing the distribution name from "fremantle" to "fremantle-1.2" in the next fw release.
This is, IMO, Ridiculous.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by junooni View Post
I know it's a very young & new OS, but all im saying that do you guys think that apple developers or iphone progerammers can develop apps much faster than programmers for N900 or maemo.
My guess is, that an average developer, who is familiar with the platform, spends a similar amount of time for doing the same thing no matter what the platform is. It's just the case that there are more developers for iPxyz platform, making you to think that the development itself is faster. Not being able to sell stuff will keep commercial developers away.

Now, I haven't tried the Apple stuff, but I would guess that their environment has a less steep learning curve. The FOSS community is too happy to give the RTFM to n00b questions, only the documentation for open source stuff is often quite obfuscated. Also lot of people seem to forget that googling is non-trivial when you don't know the name of the thing you're looking for.

Personally I don't know why someone would like to develop an iPhone app anymore.

I mean, after several years and 140k apps, what's left to be done? There's an app for that already.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juise- For This Useful Post:
My opinion :
1) Apple aimed at this result. And a long time ago. The underlying OS for all devices is the same (almost). So the development platform is kept tight and clean, only building up with time. So is Microsoft and Google. And them only, the rest is decorative (I know Palm, RIM,...). Look at bottom line.
2) Apple is in the business of selling software. People buy into MAC because it's EASY probably a bit more than beautiful. Nokia (Intel, others...) are about to be... This is true all the way to devs.
3) Choice. People enjoy it by nature but to get work done...what you really need are leaders(to make choices) and followers(to really make it happen). I'm sure all Apple/MS/Google ruling bodies know "Divide et impera". And they even know better to keep their enemy closer (how good does Google make the i-thingies...?). So Linux world is left with conceptual fights and unfisnished wikis...while AMG enjoy making business.

and finally...
4) You can't compare Apple and Linux. They don't aim at the same stuff. Apple is business, Linux is the universe. People buy a mac or i-thingy, especially "the new or last one". People CHOOSE Linux. To be or to have....
So by nature developers that want/need to HAVE money will choose Apple and get what they want (and quick, and easy, and more...) whereas dev that CHOOSE Linux will only get what they are looking for (could be anything though, including there is no spoon! ).

Me? I wanted something different, and I GOT IT .
also...i felt like writing this...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atz6975 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by atz6975 View Post
Me? I wanted something different, and I GOT IT .
also...i felt like writing this...
This is so familiar.
I feel the same way.

Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
All apps use a standard framework for the iPhone, so the graphics are handled by the OS.
Apps are "faster" for many reasons:
1. It doesn't have anything running in the background.
2. Most apps are programmed on one language (does the iPhone support other then C++/C/ObjectC?)
3. It's running at half the resolution of the N900.
4. It doesn't use GTK + X server + a window manager to handle stuff.
And so on...
Jailbreak an iPhone and make it multitask, then ask again.

P.S, interesting use of tags...
I would also like to add that IMO most free apps at the app store are either worthless...fart apps... or lite versions of the full game which in IMO is just a demo to persuade you into paying for the real deal.
at least these are what I have personally seen...nothing good that's also free.

while on Maemo/the N900 they're developing stuff for free, which I believe is noble; they're already paying the time and the hard work into producing something useful for the community, then asking for them to hurry it up is plain ...(a******holic)
oh and I never saw a useless app for the N900.

no i didnt call any programmer here on this forum or reffered any one to be "Cheap Trash".
I meant what the heck is Nokia up to..

Originally Posted by Delta View Post
I would also like to add that IMO most free apps at the app store are either worthless...fart apps... or lite versions of the full game which in IMO is just a demo to persuade you into paying for the real deal.
at least these are what I have personally seen...nothing good that's also free.

while on Maemo/the N900 they're developing stuff for free, which I believe is noble; they're already paying the time and the hard work into producing something useful for the community, then asking for them to hurry it up is plain ...(a******holic)
oh and I never saw a useless app for the N900.
you see this is where i think that perhaps i should act like u too & dig my head in the sand as well & just look the other way and say " Well those are fart aaps". They certainly arent fart aaps
cus majority of ppl woud not settle for just fart aaps.

Click on this if you care.
http://dailymobile.se/2010/04/02/iph...manufacturers/

Now compare these stats and then compare the price tags. And do the math, where is the more bang for ur buck??
And please fellas! the ideaof this threadis not to be personal but just to talk about progress of teh community and mainly talk about noakia's commitment towards n900 via your un-biast opinions ((Un-Biast)).

Tags
junooni doesn't get it, wmarone gets it