Posts: 117 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ New Hampshire, USA
How can I get my N810 to mount my iAudio7? I have a micro usb cable with a standard female usb on the other end, and it mounts my usb drives just fine. I also have a standard usb to mini usb cable that I use to plug my iAudio 7 into any computer, which also works fine. So in my mind I should be able to plug those cables into each other and use the resulting cable to connect my N810 to my iAudio 7. Trouble is: this only works in my mind. I don't know if this is a software or hardware issue. I've searched the forums and the wiki, with no luck at all. I can't imagine that I'm the first person to do this, so maybe it's just not a problem for anyone else??? If the cables are the problem I may already have a fix for it, but I'll have to wait to see. If not I do not know where to begin.

When I bought the micro to female usb, I wrote to the manufacturer and asked if they made a micro usb to mini usb cable. He said they did not, but asked if I needed it to have OTG. I do not know what OTG is, and I told him so, but I explained that the cable was to be used to connect my N810 to my iAudio 7 mp3 player for transferring files. A short while later, he responded to my email saying that they are manufacturing a batch of the cables, and that he would be sending one to me free of charge. He said that the cables would go on sale on ebay shortly. I'll let you guys know how that one works as soon as I get it.

I'm hoping that somebody has some idea what my problem is (other than the obvious ) and can point me in the right direction.

i use the usb app. (in app. manager) to connect my iaudio g3 without problems

The Following User Says Thank You to wesgreen For This Useful Post:
Which usb app? There are more than one.

What do you use for cabling? Does the n810 charge the iAudio?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
@pokey: If the IAudio 7 uses the standard USB Mass Storage driver, it would work in the same way as a flash drive. However, the catch is that the N8x0's USB port is OTG (on-the-go, e.g. switchable between host and peripheral modes), not technically a USB host; thus, it can't supply as much current to the connected device as your PC can. The implications of this are that only low-consumption devices will work, unless you run them through a powered USB hub. (Which would require a power outlet, or a compatible portable battery pack (IOGear makes some things like that, if you're interested)). What is happening (as far as I can tell) is that your audio player is expecting the N810 to charge it, and since it can't, it doesn't work. I've never used an IAudio 7, but my T2 has an option in the settings (under General, I think) to turn off charging when connected to a computer. Turning that off should make it work, if anything will, but I can't guarantee it. Do note that by turning that option off, you will be unable to charge the player from a computer, but only from a standalone USB charger.
I hope that helps...

P.S. Also make sure that if there is an option for MTP/UMS modes, that it is set to UMS - the N810 does not support MTP transfers.

oooooh, ok. The iAudio 7 has 3 settings for charging: Normal, slow and off.
I'll try the other settings when I get home tonight and hope that slow works. It does have both MTP and UMS, but being a gPodder user (ok addict), I've never tried MTP anyway. I did some reading on OTG, and I'm pretty sure it's not the cable causing the problem, so I think your suggestion is right. I never would have thought of charging voltage not being available. Thank you.

Originally Posted by pokey View Post
oooooh, ok. The iAudio 7 has 3 settings for charging: Normal, slow and off.
I'll try the other settings when I get home tonight and hope that slow works. It does have both MTP and UMS, but being a gPodder user (ok addict), I've never tried MTP anyway. I did some reading on OTG, and I'm pretty sure it's not the cable causing the problem, so I think your suggestion is right. I never would have thought of charging voltage not being available. Thank you.
pokey, i'm using USBControl 1.03 with a basic cable, but i think jaem is probably right with his analysis. the iaudioG3 is powered by a AA battery. i wish they hadn't discontinued the model, but i was looking at the 7 as a possible successor. how is it working for you? does it record well from the built-in mic? can you monitor the line-in recording?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
@pokey: "Slow" might work, but I wouldn't advise charging from your tablet, as that will run down the tablet's battery quite fast. Unless you don't have a standalone charger, I'd say leave it on "off" unless you need it on another setting. If you don't have a charger, you can probably find something at Radioshack, or online. Heck - if you're handy with a soldering iron, they're pretty simple to make, and Molex might give you a free USB connector if you ask nicely.

i think i caN help u with that as i have the Cowon s9 set up on MSC mode with the same connection ''female usb'' maemo-usb-control+OTG AND GOOOD TO GO

COWON=IAUDIO

Wesgreen, I tried to answer you here, but my answer went a bit long
Here's my long answer to your short question. Sorry I got a bit carried away, but you own a Cowon player... You understand

I don't really care about charging the iAudio from the n810. It might be nice if the battery ever starts to wear down, to just plug it in over night, but for now I just want to use gPodder on the n810 rather than on my eeepc 701. Why fire up a whole netbook when you don't have to? But seroiusly the version of gPodder on the N810 is at least 6 months ahead of Ubuntu, not to mention portable. It's nice to have the project dev packaging on your distro of choice. It's probably time to budget a little donation in his direction.

Hey xavi6, what's usc mode?

Last edited by pokey; 2009-09-04 at 18:45.

Tags
file transfer, iaudio 7, iaudio7, otg, usb