Posts: 25 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Denmark
Edit: Check out my review on page 4 or click here

Soooo, I bought a N900 from Hong Kong on ebay, waiting for it's arrival now, here's the link to the one I bought:
LINK1

And before I get critized for picking up such an old piece of technology my current phone is very very old. I've never owned a smartphone or anything that can do anything besides texting and calling. This will be a huuuuge upgrade for me.

So I bought this because I've used linux for a few years now and I'm fairly impressed with what I can do with this phone, or at least it's possibilities, and I think my linux experience will help me appreciate this device.

I'll be using it for texting, calling, work on the fly(text documents), music, see what devices In my house I can use it as a remote control/controller for, and I work in retail so Im thinking I can - within a wide time-span - make an application for this that will function as a barcode scanner for employees with all the same functions that our store PDA has now, including scanning out broken goods, making price tags, updating inventory etc.

So I'm basically just here to say Hi, can't wait to join you, got any tips for a new inexperienced N900/smartphone user? What are some of the first things I HAVE to do when I get it and what accessories should I get? Im thinking of buying this microSDHC card: LINK2, a hard leather case to fit my clumsy-ness and maybe an extra battery so I dont have to use the USB.

Last edited by Lithdk; 2013-08-16 at 13:38.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lithdk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Hi and welcome!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Texas
Welcome. Update to CSSU when you get it then its up to you what you want on it. There are many awesome apps in the repos and threads here to learn more about them before downloading them to your device.

The Following User Says Thank You to DfLo1913 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
Dude, welcome. Here are a few pointers:

1) Don't start your first comment going on the defensive for buying the N900.
2) Don't subsequently call it a 'such an old piece of technology'. Ever!
3) Now as it's from ebay I would suggest flashing it. Start reading the wiki!
4) Follow up by upgrading it to CSSU-Stable.
5) A 32GB SD is nice to have. If you really need the space there are a few comments about compatible 64GB SD cards. Check it out.
6) Get yourself a screen protector as well as the case protection. The stylus will scratch the screen!
7) Be carefull of the USB port. It is delicate. There's a thread by dr_frost_dk that might interest you.
7) Watch out for Dave

Last edited by n900user259; 2013-08-07 at 21:11.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to n900user259 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
I wish I were you.
You will be so thrilled with the N900!

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
Well done for choosing such an excellent device.

It will serve well.

rgds

ps. Just ignore LumiaTroll

The Following User Says Thank You to uTMY For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
file your charger locking pins hurry up !

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Denmark
Thanks for the nice welcomes and tips :P So in this order:

1. File down charger pins
2. Reflash
3. Install CSSU
3. Install Rootsh

Anything else I need to do before I can get going? It will ship from hong kong tommorow, so I better be prepared. Any info on SD cards I need to read before buying one? I think Im gonna go with 32gb, dont really need the space I just figure it will be nice to have to move things around and install stuff on.

Congratulations on your choice of smartphone. I was in your exact situation 2 years ago, meaning the N900 was my first smartphone ever, and I haven't regretted it a bit. I was so impressed in fact, that I ended up buying a few more. I just lost my first one in my vacation, and I bought an Android tab (Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0) to pass the time. Android feels like a toy running on a supercomputer. The experience with an N900 is a paradox in that while the hardware is underpowered by today's standards, the phone can do almost anything, stuff that any other phone, including new models, would never dream of.

My advice:
0. Inspect it to make sure everything works including screen , keyboard, gsm modem, wifi, USB data, radio transmitter and receiver, micro sd card, camera, LED lamp, audio out and composite video out, and IR transmitter. The N900 you are getting is most likely refurbished, so checking the hardware thoroughly is a must.

1. The USB port, as already mentioned, is its glaring weakness. File the locking pins in the USB cable so that it goes in and out very smoothly. Also, approach every cable insertion like a surgical procedure, and if possible leave the phone charging at night in a locked room away from mischievous animals or clumsy humans.

2. Flash it to factory settings to start with a blank slate. Here's the detailed process I have followed successfully several times: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...94&postcount=7

3. Read this forum and ask questions!

Welcome.

Last edited by malfunctioning; 2013-08-10 at 16:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I second malfunctioning's #0. As n900user259 said, do not apologize for buying an N900. Not in this forum. But you may get some flak for buying a "new one" from Hong Kong. Just do a search, you will find a lfew horror stories about these "new" devices being in fact used devices put in a new housing, sometimes with the last user's data still on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: