The email app works fine for my (2) POP3 and Gmail accounts. Damn-near flawless compared to the Droid's native POP3 app...talk about "real issues". While it may not be as robust w/configuration setting as my WinMo phone, w/search not being a concern of mine, I'm more than satisfied. Sort options are enough for me.

For the people not seeing changes "server side", is the "Leave messages on server" box still checked?

In my opinion regarding to the n800 it is a very heavy step back. No imap idle, why? My n800 was functioning for days without recharging..

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
The email app works fine for my (2) POP3 and Gmail accounts. Damn-near flawless compared to the Droid's native POP3 app...talk about "real issues". While it may not be as robust w/configuration setting as my WinMo phone, w/search not being a concern of mine, I'm more than satisfied. Sort options are enough for me.

For the people not seeing changes "server side", is the "Leave messages on server" box still checked?
If you're using Nokia Messaging, the option is blocked, along with the option to download entire messages. So to use Nokia Messaging, you have to downgrade on other features. Not a smart move.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pschroth View Post
In my opinion regarding to the n800 it is a very heavy step back. No imap idle, why? My n800 was functioning for days without recharging..
Your N800 hasn't had IDLE since the last SSU either :-(

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Guys, I have just strarted a Brainstorm on how to turn Modest into a useable email client. Please visit, add solutions and vote! This may be the only way we'll ever get Nokia to do something about it...

Hi
Yes email is terrible. I use POP3 with orange.net which is free.
I have found if I switch the phone off and then on, then check the email, I get the inbox back with latest emails in them. If I don't switch it off, I can wait hours for emails, literally or even until the evening.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oviedo, Florida
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
I have just strarted a Brainstorm on how to turn Modest into a useable email client.
That is an unfortunately titled brainstorm. Modest is arguably "useable" by many people already. A better title, if you wished to create a catch-all brainstorm for Modest, might be "Improve Modest usability".

But this shouldn't be an all-encompassing brainstorm anyway. As written it mostly contains references to existing reported bugs. These shouldn't be repeated here. There is a useful, if somewhat hyperbolic, problem statement regarding unread message summaries with multiple accounts. So consider having this brainstorm concentrate on that issue, and retitled "Unread messages summary".

Brainstorms shouldn't be used to vent frustrations. It is okay to be critical, but always remember that criticism will be accepted in the spirit of which it is offered. The Modest developers are people too, justifiably proud of their work. Let's help them, m'kay?

The Following User Says Thank You to dba For This Useful Post:
I want to see per-folder imap notifications, with an option per folder for notifications to be on and off.

I don't get any new emails into INBOX - my email (aggregating from other accounts) comes initially into to various 'incoming' folders (which I do not want notications on) then popfile automatically files them into various other folders within the heirachy - some of which I absolutely need notification for and some I don't want at all.

With IMAP-IDLE monitoring is per folder anyway so it is a small change from only monitoring INBOX via hardcoding to monitoring a list of folders defined in a config file.

I suppose if I wanted to work around this limitation, I could symlink any new emails from folders I am interested in to INBOX.

Last edited by paulkoan; 2010-04-06 at 07:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
I'm replying to this thread as well to mark that I too think that Modest could be improved.

It is "usable" by all standards, but satisfyingly usable only for casual and light users. I don't think either, that Modest can compete with other business orientated smartphones' e-mail programs.

I find the lack of a more clear way of searching for e-mails that have arrived as priority #1, as Modest serves to all my ("light and casual") needs well.

Let's get this post and Brainstorm going, but let's keep it constructive to ease the process of "fixing" Modest.

EDIT: Is there a way to rephrase the Brainstorm title and allow voting for Solution #1?

Last edited by cjp; 2010-04-06 at 08:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 79 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by dba View Post
That is an unfortunately titled brainstorm. Modest is arguably "useable" by many people already. A better title, if you wished to create a catch-all brainstorm for Modest, might be "Improve Modest usability".
Well hello Mr dba and thank you for the lecture.

You've got half a point here and I am renaming the brainstorm and giving it the somewhat less critical, if slightly more difficult to remember/grasp title: "Bridge the gap between Modest and competing smartphone email clients". I hope this meets your approval.

But this shouldn't be an all-encompassing brainstorm anyway. As written it mostly contains references to existing reported bugs.
There I beg to differ. I have read and been told that bug.maemo.org is no longer the place to log anything but actual bugs and minor enhancement request. Some of the "bugs" referenced here have been opened over a year ago and not been implemented. My understanding is that the new process is to expose "feature" requests in Brainstorms and as it takes time to do so, I chose to make mine reasonably open so it can gather a few useful proposals along the way, as has been the case with other recent examples.

The Modest developers are people too, justifiably proud of their work.
I get that Modest developers are likely proud of their work but justifiably? This is exactly how Nokia has lost ground to the competition over the last few years: by being complacent and not bothering to check out what others (including their own S60 offering) have long been capable of.

Let's also take a second to remember who are the paying customers - the numerous people struck in disbelief, contributing to this and other threads when they get acquainted with some of Modest's shortcomings (when's the last time you used a mail client that didn't prominently display the number of unread messages)?

This is hurting Nokia's chance to pull through this otherwise excellent platform. That what bugs me. I do not want to have to go back to an iPhone or Android device because Nokia had to pull the plug on Maemo/Meego, having failed to make the platform viable...