Active Topics

I will use MaemoWordPy with my N800 to document our Asia travel with Text and Picture
  • The integration of images from the Memory card is not easy and comfortable in the Moment
yerga - can you develop something else - for easy Usage

Last edited by frank.wagner; 2007-11-01 at 11:03.

I've just started into researching this, and I'm glad someone started the thread.

Sounds like a keyboard is mandatory for blogging reasonably. So far the solution seems to be one of methodology. You cannot blog on the Nxxx the same way you do on a full-size computer. So far, what's working for me, is to write all the body text first, inserting placeholders for the images, then come back and insert the image/image links. I tweak out the images after I get back to the land line.

All the developers seem to be focused on multimedia apps. Someone needs to port a couple of simple graphic manipulation tools. Image Magik springs to mind. It's a command line manipulation tool, but it would be ideal for resizing, and optimizing from a known source.

You might also try the editing suite in your camera, if you're trying to post your own photos.

I haven't tried Mirage, but this is the only Maemo tool that manipulates images:
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/mirage/

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Originally Posted by frank.wagner View Post
I will use MaemoWordPy with my N800 to document our Asia travel with Text and Picture
  • The integration of images from the Memory card is not easy and comfortable in the Moment
yerga - can you develop something else - for easy Usage

I am open to suggestions about anything to improve.

How could it be an easier way of dealing with images? What find you difficult?

Well, set images is the only thing that can't be done offline if you image is in local, but it will be possible in the future.

Also I will add an option to do basic treatments to images, as crop, resize, rotate, etc..
While Mirage can be used for this, and when the OS2008 is released the default app Images will have some of these options.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
I used Maemo WordPy last week on a motorhome trip to Sweden and Norway with my girlfriend. It worked very well on my 770 and we were able to post text and pictures to show our families and friends where we were.

There were only two things on my wish list:
1. Image resizing based on percents, instead of pixels. Or some other way to automatically calculate the correct aspect ratio for images.

2. A message queue, from which you could send all unsent posts at once when finding a WLAN hotspot.

I'm still looking for a working offline blogger client. The one I found consistently stalls at login. I suppose it is because of the newer blogger API.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Originally Posted by Tragos View Post
I used Maemo WordPy last week on a motorhome trip to Sweden and Norway with my girlfriend. It worked very well on my 770 and we were able to post text and pictures to show our families and friends where we were.
Nice.

There were only two things on my wish list:
1. Image resizing based on percents, instead of pixels. Or some other way to automatically calculate the correct aspect ratio for images.
Well, I will have to retrieve information for the image to know its dimensions, but this isn't very difficult to implement.
Perhaps it could be ready for the next version.

2. A message queue, from which you could send all unsent posts at once when finding a WLAN hotspot.
Good idea. Added to my 'TO DO list'.

I use Blogger for now, and you can email your posts, so you have the full functionality of your mail client. Is that possible with Wordpress?

Originally Posted by yerga View Post
Originally Posted by Tragos View Post
Nice.
Uh oh. I forgot to write the most important words at the end of this chapter: Thank you!

Originally Posted by cbarnett View Post
I use Blogger for now, and you can email your posts, so you have the full functionality of your mail client. Is that possible with Wordpress?
The WordPress software supports sending posts by email, but this is currently not enabled on the free blog server at wordpress.com. However, there may be some other servers out there with this possibility.

yerga,

good to hear from you. We used WordPy extensively during a road trip on the US Route 66 for 35+ long posts with MANY pictures, all posts are collected here (we also wrote about Wordpy and there are pictures of our N800 in action). The posts are partly in german, but later on we changed to 100% english:

http://www.zintzen.org/on-the-road/
http://www.zintzen.org/2007/07/22/07...g-on-the-road/
http://www.zintzen.org/2007/08/02/070730-las-vegas/

my problems with wordpy:
- posts with images can only be assembled when online, because images are uploaded immediately.
- images are resized only with the html tag, not the real picture. as such, one has to upload big files also if you only want small images
- when you want to include an image, Wordpy always shows you the root folder, so you have to click through to the picture folder for each picture
- no categories from Wordpress XML-RPC
- no way to edit posts which are already on the server

Of course, for a freeware application it is wonderful and I thank you a lot for all your work, After all, this is the ONLY properly working offline client which if found for N800 and WORDPRESS. if you want some inspiration for the image handling, please look at BLOGDESK, this is a freeware client which I use on my main computers every day, and it does everything I need:
http://www.blogdesk.org/de/info.htm

thank you again,
karl.

Last edited by audioworld; 2007-11-02 at 21:20.