Active Topics

I notice a big power drain after installing an 8gb SDHC card. With that slot empty, my N800 can go a couple of days without recharging. Simply putting the SDHC cart is seems to cause a massive power run down.

I strongly agree with many posters when they say that high CPU usage does burn up the battery. Running the web browser almost always burns the CPU at 100% these days, especially when reading the active java sites (gmail). This web site uses a lot of CPU, incidentally.

Somtimes I spot "runaway" processes that may be churning away for no good reason. I've been keeping track of applications that are using a lot of CPU and in the terminal I run "top" to see them. Sometimes, there is a program running taking tons of CPU with a vague title like "sh" but no details. I shut down the system all the way, and restarted, that sh program was still there. I reasoned that if the N800 is trying to do "session management" then some bad program that was running before will get launched again. But I don't know if that's what it is doing. I know on Linux lots of systems do have session management. After gaining root, I find that "kill -9 nnn" for the process numbered nnn does kill the mypsterious high CPU using program "sh".

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I have discovered a problem with a particular wi-fi router only: When connected to this one my N800 sucks battery like there's no tomorrow. It _only_ happens with this router (which is one I own), it's never happened with any other access point anywhere. It took a while before I realised what's happening. Presumably the router somehow prevents my N800 from going into wi-fi sleep mode or something.

I don't have the exact details of this router (it's not located here), but it's a SiS chipset based one. I'll look for firmware upgrades for it and do some more testing if so.
was it a belkin router? i have this problem with my friends belkin router. Some times when i connect to it my cpu usage jumps to 100% the task that is using it is dbus_message_something i cant remember.

It's a Jensen 802.11b wi-fi router with a SiS chipset. I haven't yet checked for firmware upgrades. I don't know what chipsets Belkin use in their routers.

Ya and im not sure what model he has. Ill check it out next time i'm over there.

Hellooo, Well my problem with the battery is that the day after i updated to os2008 i charged it over night took about 7hours to charge and i got the battery full icon, Now today its going on 10hrs and still no icon to say its charged and by now you'd think it is...not sure if i should reflash it if it will make any difference or not.

If i reflash but backup first... all my stuff should come back on , all the apps i installed etc right?

Last edited by Gadget25; 2007-12-21 at 14:56.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Hawaii
After upgrading to 2008, my battery don't last as long as before

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Mahaloha View Post
After upgrading to 2008, my battery don't last as long as before
How did you upgrade your battery's software?

Aha aha aha aha.

I just reflashed my os2008 with no backup except for the bookmarks which shouldnt be a problem...so i'll see what happens now..for the days to come, I downloaded off someone file who uploaded to a server...if it happens again i'll try direct from nokia since it seems to be a bit faster with them now..

I'll let you know what happens, it could be like someone stated above that maybe 2008 takes more processing power