I'd need some input from the community on this please.
My n900 doesn't cut the mustard anymore I need to get me a new working device asap.

What I need (in random order):
- safe control for the programs/apps on the phone like XPrivacy does on Android.
- a good camera
- good build quality
- Android compatibility
- good hardware specs
- average priced
- stylus usability preferred

Right now I'm between Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Jolla Phone.
The Note 3 might be on the too big side - screen-size wise.
Also the KNOX security layer sounds troubling, it got its plus too though.

The Jolla Phone is rather half-baked at this point. I'm not looking for another n900 I have to fix everything not available by default but supposed to be there.
Alien Davik can't be controlled with XPrivacy yet - what data Sailfish sends out is unknown yet (correct me when I'm wrong).
Too much in the shadow here. Maybe the 2nd generation Jolla Phone does better but I can't wait that long.
Alternatively I'd get me a cheap Android Phone and wait for that 2nd Jolla one.

Thanks for reading and helping + happy new year

/edit: I don't want to be tied to one service/account/google for software but stay anonymous

Last edited by RX-51; 2014-01-01 at 23:37.

out of what you havent listed, Nexus 5 as its way more likely to get Sailfish

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
From that list? Galaxy note ll is what you are looking for. Galaxy note 3 is cooler must much more expensive.

Galaxy note 3 vs jolla 9-1

I have both devices.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-01-01 at 23:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 130 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Vienna, Austria
My brother has a Nexus 5 and it's easily the best Android available today, and the price is ok, too. Also, dual booting Sailfish on it will most likely happen in 2014.

The Following User Says Thank You to dommau For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
out of what you havent listed, Nexus 5 as its way more likely to get Sailfish
Originally Posted by dommau View Post
My brother has a Nexus 5 and it's easily the best Android available today, and the price is ok, too. Also, dual booting Sailfish on it will most likely happen in 2014.
Any official word on this yet? From what I've been reading yet those are speculations, no? Or would it be an unsupported/unofficial port like for the n9? I'm eying the xda-developers.com board though.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Hi. For my daily drive I really love my Note 3 but only after substantial modifications. For example, I use Tweaked rom for the t-mobile version of Note 3 which is awesome. Also I find TW pretty dull so I use Nova Launcher and GMD to set up swipe gestures. However, a fun alternative might be to buy a nexus 4 and dual boot Ubuntu which, as I understand, is currently doable. This should hold you over for a few months till the next onslaught of new phones comes out. Anyways, I'm thinking of trying it myself. Hopefully a working version of Sailfish for nexus is available soon...

http://developer.ubuntu.com/2013/12/...loper-preview/

Last edited by mscion; 2014-01-02 at 16:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Hi. For my daily drive I really love my Note 3 but only after substantial modifications. For example, I use Tweaked rom for the t-mobile version of Note 3 which is awesome. Also I find TW pretty dull so I use Nova Launcher and GMD to set up swipe gestures. However, a fun alternative might be to buy a nexus 4 and dual boot Ubuntu which, as I understand, is currently doable. This should hold you over for a few months till the next onslaught of new phones comes out. Anyways, I'm thinking of trying it myself. Hopefully a working version of Sailfish for nexus is available soon...

http://developer.ubuntu.com/2013/12/...loper-preview/
The Note 3 is just huuuge, hard to be put into the pocket of a trouser, tried it again today
The Nexus 4 seems to have problems with battery life and camera from what I read. Something that rules out the Nexus Series is the lack of memory extension by e.g. sdcards.

The Following User Says Thank You to RX-51 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Jolla - The First One is the way to go!

Actually, it's a little rough around the edges but the community is so active and the software updates so frequent... it will be another product in a few months

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'll probably go with Moto X - a little bit of customization goes a long way for my purchase and the recent drop in price for an unlocked phone also helps - but I'm US based, Jolla isn't an option at the moment.

Android and security - almost a bit laughable out of the box. You've done your research it seems. Jolla is invariably more secure though. But be careful, Knox has known security vulnerabilities...

(38)

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jordi View Post
Jolla - The First One is the way to go!

Actually, it's a little rough around the edges but the community is so active and the software updates so frequent... it will be another product in a few months
I got one next to me while typing but on the edge of sending it back. I need to replace my n900 - the Jolla Phone needs that much tinkering right now what makes me very unsure to keep it.
...in a few months it might be "ok" but in the same time I get a mobile with a much more potent hardware while waiting to get it straightened out (by community).
That's what makes me wonder if I should keep it.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'll probably go with Moto X - a little bit of customization goes a long way for my purchase and the recent drop in price for an unlocked phone also helps - but I'm US based, Jolla isn't an option at the moment.

Android and security - almost a bit laughable out of the box. You've done your research it seems. Jolla is invariably more secure though. But be careful, Knox has known security vulnerabilities...

(38)
Europe based here. Jolla is no option for you due to your US location or due to other things?
I agree with you, Android and security is...not easy. F-Droid would be the first place to look for apps. Keeping Google out seems hard, even on the Jolla with its Alien Davik. Those native Android apps need some kind of Google not-open-code.
For example Threema I was looking for:

Threema uses Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) to notify the app of new messages in the background. If Google Apps are not installed, you will not be informed of new messages unless you enable polling in the app (the polling interval is fixed at 15 minutes and will cause some additional battery drain and data usage)
XPrivacy can't be installed on the Jolla Phone as I've tried it. Might be a stupid idea even as it's a virtual layer and not possible but I'm lacking that tech knowledge. Just doing trial and error there.

I'd like to have much more options & information's on Sailfish about data being accessed/sent out. Be it on the Android layer or Sailfish itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to RX-51 For This Useful Post: