Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by KylliOrvokki View Post
HERE IT IS!!!! Video about the real thing
Now i regret not having picked up finnish language from a childhood friend in 8 years :/
Does someone have the time to do a 2-3 sentence wrapup?
Would be highly appreciated!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Whats your opinion on "no charger included"?
I say it's not a problem. I have chargers for my Nexus 9 and my Nexus 7 (2013) that I never have touched. Although most will say that the "greener" is just marketing, if you're geek enough you probably have a 2.1A charger laying around. I have 3.

Can't wait.

Any recommendation for Jolla tablet wireless keyboard and mouse?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
For portable mouse & keyb, I'm quite fond of the Logitech K811 (switch between 3 paired devices on-the-fly) & T630 (touch mouse, switch between 2 devices on-the-fly).
K811 also has pretty decent tactile feedback for such a portable keyb (there are far more portable ones), & has backlit keys, amongst other features it & T630 have.

We should prolly start a Jolla Tablet Accessories/Peripherals thread soon...

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
Any recommendation for Jolla tablet wireless keyboard and mouse?
I've been leaning towards Logitech bluetooth keyboards as well lately, though I haven't really tested them in-depth myself. Here's an interesting (and fairly recent) article reviewing a selection of bluetooth keyboards though, and they also place the K810 / K811 at the top of their list:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the...ooth-keyboard/

thanks for the input

logitech has made the lastest keyboard for tablet K480,

Yeah it's okay, not in the same league as the K810/1 IMHO, different price segment, the groove for propping-up Tablets/Smartphones is handy though.
Anyway if you want to discuss further, then you should prolly start a dedicated thread for "Accessories/Peripherals", or for "Portable Mice/Keyboards".

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
For all "non finns", Simo Ruoho / Review Jolla Blog did a very nice recap of the video, and Jukka Aaltonen did a whole translation of the article! Thanks to both.
Warning, link to Facebook...

Most interesting in Simo's overview is this:

In the end, interviewer asks about information security, and Jouni first tells the operating system has fully open source OS. [This is an important part, and not seen yet on Sailfish OS earlier versions, so I try to translate the answer in Finnish from word to word]:

Before anything else, the information security starts from that this is fully open source operating system, and via that anyone can review it and verify it, and hence, here's nothing to hide. And hence it's built through transparency, the information security, and that is perhaps the simplest explanation at this point to that.
[to the question about information security]

Note: The above translation of spoken words has not been checked by Jouni Mikkonen. It's how I heard it in Finnish, listening to the interview video published by Kauppalehti. The finnish words used for fully open source operating system on the video are "täysin avoimen lähdekoodin käyttöjärjestelmä"

Not sure if we can really take much from that, but there was this statement ~2.5mth ago:

One continued point to note is that Sailfish is not fully open source -- Jolla describes it as “mostly open source”, noting that certain UI components remain closed. But it does have a plan to open source more of the platform in time.

Originally Posted by Saarnio
We have a timeline to open source basically all of the non-commercial parts, some of them are third party parts which we can’t open source of course. But we have a timeline to open source most of the platform -- because it helps us to work with the developer community and also our partners. But we are not yet releasing the timeline. We will come out very soon with an announcement about the scale of this open sourcing schedule
Source:
http://techcrunch.com/2015/05/28/jol...rging-markets/

So maybe they're very near to revealing that time-line? I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-08-14 at 18:20.

Simo's also done an excellent (very detailed) run-down of all the specs here:
http://reviewjolla.blogspot.fi/2015/...-hardware.html
Some of it will no doubt end up being "off the mark", but it's quite comprehensive.
Also a questionnaire there asking folks what they want him to cover in his review.
Be cool if folks eventually work out how to multi-boot this thing with other Linux based platforms & Win10x.

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-08-14 at 18:52.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund