Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Finally, I got my almost perfect Jolla phone with a Nexus 5 which runs SailfishOS. It's really great even if performances are far from stellar. But once you put your eyes on that screen, it's nearly impossible to look at the Jolla screen anymore :-D

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
Excuse me, we won't see the second phone from Jolla after Jolla tablet, am I right?
Well Jolla is now two companies. One for software and one for hardware. And they want to make also something else than just phones and tablets.

http://www.digitoday.fi/bisnes/2015/...n/201510380/66

The Following User Says Thank You to MisterMaster For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
Excuse me, we won't see the second phone from Jolla after Jolla tablet, am I right?
Well if you've followed this thread & the other main ones, they have hinted recently that another handset's coming.
Remains to be seen if they can make it materialise, I imagine they're getting very tight for $ on the hw side of the business.
It may be a lower priced product, not the higher end device many of us desire, possibly Intel based & partly subsidised.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
If Jolla is successful in its main business (licensing Sailfish to many hardware providers), we'll see far more varieties of devices running Sailfish (the upcoming Intex phone or phones being the first example here). With luck, someday every manufacturer producing an Android-based phone will also put out a Sailfish version.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
From aesthetics point of view no edges is better, from usability perspective I would prefer edges as well.
Another thing to take into account, edges give better stability and protection to the screen glass.
My Jolla has survived hundreds of crashes by now and i bet the reason the glass is still intact is the result of that nice little plastic frame seperating it from the alu frame

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
With luck, someday every manufacturer producing an Android-based phone will also put out a Sailfish version.
I somehow doubt that as long as Google Play OS remains relevant and remains to be confused with Android by the general public. Every manufacturer daring to sell a phone with Sailfish OS can no longer license Google Play OS for their phones, right?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Another thing to take into account, edges give better stability and protection to the screen glass.
My Jolla has survived hundreds of crashes by now and i bet the reason the glass is still intact is the result of that nice little plastic frame seperating it from the alu frame
Sure thing. Naturally, drop-ability is, especially for ex-Nokia users, is non-negotiable factor of the usability.

I am not a babysitter or museum guardian

My Jolla screen has been saved x times by the flexible bezels and I wonder how much more compression they can take before the front glass snaps.

When I aim along the Jolla's left side I notice it's been bent like an iPhone 6 Plus in a skinny jeans

Name:  2015-08-20-0792.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  44.9 KB
Name:  2015-08-20-0791.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  58.6 KB

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
If Jolla is successful in its main business (licensing Sailfish to many hardware providers), we'll see far more varieties of devices running Sailfish (the upcoming Intex phone or phones being the first example here). With luck, someday every manufacturer producing an Android-based phone will also put out a Sailfish version.
In the high end segment I can't wait for

Yota
Fairphone

...to underline their innovative character with Sailfish OS options

Wasn't there long, long time ago an announced an Indian dual SIM midrange Sailfish smartphone Intex "Aqua Fish" coming next December?

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Every manufacturer daring to sell a phone with Sailfish OS can no longer license Google Play OS for their phones, right?
Ah, yeah, I had forgotten that Google is turning into Microsoft. Drat. Still, Google doesn't seem to have gotten its claws completely into the big phone manufacturers; I see that Samsung and HTC have WP-based phones available...

Ah, yeah, I had forgotten that Google is turning into Microsoft. Drat. Still, Google doesn't seem to have gotten its claws completely into the big phone manufacturers; I see that Samsung and HTC have WP-based phones available...
Alternative OS = no more Google Play OS?
Has that been confirmed to be the case.
Google is even turning Microsoft into Google these days: free upgrade and now very openly grabbing all your data

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, jolla 2