Active Topics

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
... as in, instead of Contacts? Can it be made to open Leafpad or Notes instead for example? I rarely need instant access to a contact, but I often need to jot down a quick note. It would be great if you could just slide out the keyboard and start typing without even needing to look.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qw3rty For This Useful Post:
modified-hildon-desktop has an option not to launch phone or contacts program upon a key press on the desktop. It also includes the necessary framework for launching whatever program you want upon any key press. The main problem with what you describe is actually in feeding the first key (and maybe subsequent keys that are pressed until the program actually launches) to your selected program, since it probably does not support such key injection.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Yeah, I feared that would be an issue. How does Contacts do it?

The contacts and phone apps have an option to get the keys from hildon-desktop as a dbus signal (or method). It should not be too hard to add it to any program.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
didnt even realise could do that!! thanks for the unintentional tip lol thats handy as hell

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
The contacts and phone apps have an option to get the keys from hildon-desktop as a dbus signal (or method). It should not be too hard to add it to any program.
Cool. Would it then be possible to have an applet which listens to those signals, stores them while launching another program, and then feeds the info to the program?

That way the user could just select which program to be used and all would work without changing them.

Is this brainstorm worthy?

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
I would LOVE to see a 'gnome-do' equivalent on N900, that begins suggestions contacts/applications/etc when you start typing at the desktop.
I would totally pay money for such an application, since it would save from having to navigate the launcher icon menus.

Last edited by craftyguy; 2010-03-05 at 21:55. Reason: more emphasis on 'love' to show how much i want this feature :)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craftyguy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qw3rty View Post
Cool. Would it then be possible to have an applet which listens to those signals, stores them while launching another program, and then feeds the info to the program?

That way the user could just select which program to be used and all would work without changing them.

Is this brainstorm worthy?
This is not brainstorm worthy, as in brainstorm it will probably rot like a million of similar suggestion. If you want this feature, implement it. If you don't know how, learn how.

See for example this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38832 . Two things cam from it: a brainstorm, and a completely unrelated http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45053 .

Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
I would LOVE to see a 'gnome-do' equivalent on N900, that begins suggestions contacts/applications/etc when you start typing at the desktop.
I would totally pay money for such an application, since it would save from having to navigate the launcher icon menus.
While not equivalent, the package keyboard-shortcuts (in my repository) allows you to launch programs by key presses on the desktop - for example 'a' launches phone, 'b' launches contacts, 'c' launches mail, etc. This saves the need to navigate launcher icon menus.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
While not equivalent, the package keyboard-shortcuts (in my repository) allows you to launch programs by key presses on the desktop - for example 'a' launches phone, 'b' launches contacts, 'c' launches mail, etc. This saves the need to navigate launcher icon menus.
Yes that is similiar, but not quite the ultimate replacement. I would like something that integrates as well as the current 'type and search contacts' feature. For example, I type "P" on the keyboard and a menu pops up at the bottom with suggestions for "phone"(application),"phil"(contact), "play frisbee"(calendar event). If I then typed an "H" immediately after, it would filter away the last suggestion, and present only the 1st two in the example.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I just wanted to show mu support for the OP's suggestion of replacing the default trigger when typing on the desktop

The Following User Says Thank You to craftyguy For This Useful Post: