Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Also, don't make the mistake of assuming that both you and Nokia have the same definition of what a "fully functional" app is.

For instance Nokia's definition of Navigation for the N900, seems to be pretty different than a lot of the users' definition. Maps is "functional" under a particular set of circumstances, but isn't very user friendly, or in fact very usable at times.
N900 == not meego. and from scratch not QT. now the engineers inside nokia is both using the QT framewoirk this means crossplatform apps for symbian and Meego.

Difference before was that N900 was using Gtk and Symbian its own App framework.

So I am sure this is changing alot now when both will use mostly the same core UI == make it simpler to port between all platforms (inkl. maemo) == more developers makeing crossapps instead of reinvent the wheel..

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-02-03 at 19:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
That's the hope, particularly with the Qt apps. But it still requires someone to care enough to do it. And we hope that Nokia will make things developer-friendly enough that developers won't waste too much time fighting with their software.
All good opensource apps (atleast QT based) will for sure be ported easily if not of the maintainer some others will doit :-D thats the good with openess

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Will Meego applications be available to the N900? Or will it be forgotten because Nokia are *****

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
N900 == not meego. and from scratch not QT. now the engineers inside nokia is both using the QT framewoirk this means crossplatform apps for symbian and Meego.

Difference before was that N900 was using Gtk and Symbian its own App framework.

So I am sure this is changing alot now when both will use mostly the same core UI == make it simpler to port between all platforms (inkl. maemo) == more developers makeing crossapps instead of reinvent the wheel..
I understand all the QT stuff. In theory, that's great. I'm just suggesting that "fully functional" may mean different things to different groups, and that what the OP thinks is "fully functional" may mean more features than what Nokia thinks is "fully functional".

For instance, there are many folks around here that (rightly or wrongly) believe mapping and navigation are different things, and that navigation implies voice navigation. Many of these people are upset that the N900 never got "fully functional" navigation (which means including voice navigation). I'm sure some of these same people would also be upset with a Symbian phone that includes free navigation (but not voice).

Or, many think a "fully functional" phone includes MMS capability. Will the next MeeGo phone be "fully functional" and include MMS? Depends on your definition of "fully functional".

Will a Nokia MeeGo based phone include some type of navigation? Sure, but will it be "fully functional"? Maybe for you, maybe for me, maybe not for the OP.

It will have Xterm

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
Will Meego applications be available to the N900? Or will it be forgotten because Nokia are *****
there is already preview of libmeegotouch/qt-components in extras-devel yes... (however the build is old cause it dev progressing FAST now )

I hope Sports Tracker is released for the N9, or at least some decent step counter.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
why would i like to have an app for youtube?

without an app, you have to (1. page) load the youtube site, then (2.) search for the clip you want to watch, then (3.) klick on the link of the clip and then it opens inside the browser (and a last klick to watch the clip in fullscreen). so, until the clip is playing you have 3 pages that has to be loaded, and this takes some time.

with an app, you start the app and type in the keywords you are searching for. now the app goes online and shows you the results. a single klick and the clip is opened in your player (not in the browser). This method is way more faster with less data consumption.

IMO an app for youtube is very usefull, especially for people who dont have a full flatrate for their device (i have just 300mb via 3g, after this its speed is going down to 2g speed; like many more in germany)
I agree on the time saving part, but "data consumption saving" in the same paragraph as "youtube" is less of a good point

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
I agree on the time saving part, but "data consumption saving" in the same paragraph as "youtube" is less of a good point
Downloading the video means that you can watch it as often as you like without having to stream it each time.

My website

GitHub

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
All good opensource apps (atleast QT based) will for sure be ported easily if not of the maintainer some others will doit :-D thats the good with openess
I would imagine some of the Hildon stuff can also be ported, as apps.meego.com will allow also non-compliant applications. Remains to be seen where the community wants to go with this stuff.