Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by sconf View Post
Oh well, I'm on the same boat...err...jolla with non-working SMTP connection.

Pretty annoying and I refuse to use google as work-around.
Is this related to username != email address ? If so, that setting was already added and hopefully will be release in next SW update.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
What application is must haves in j Stores? If any? How many apps available?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-12-13 at 16:30.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What application is must haves in j Stores? If any? How many apps available?
Currently 47 apps.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by att View Post
Currently 47 apps.
One useful?

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
We are currently brain-storming to work out a way to get support for OS X in a way that Apple is not likely to break. But for that you will have to be a bit patient.
The way I see it - if that is your goal you only have two options:
  • developing your own protocol, drivers for each platform and user friendly software to utilize it - this implies high support cost and limits 'mass storage' to only supported platforms, or
  • building a shadow virtual FAT on top and exposing it to USB - it's not as difficult as it sounds, I did some rudimentary work in that field a while ago and I'd gladly donate you the code if only I could find it, however I'm not sure if Microsoft still claims patents on that so it might get costly

Even Apple wouldn't dare to break legacy USB-FAT so the latter is pretty much Apple-proof, and not only that - every device with that support would be able to read the storage.

If we move away from legacy, as I've mentioned earlier, current Linux filesystems wouldn't need much modification to do away with single-host mounting, but that doesn't solve the problem at hand.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
OK - now is this the answer to my question why mass storage was naturally supported on both the N900 and the N9 but isn't on the Jolla Phone? Because the Nokia models hat FAT partitions that the Jolla has not?

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue in favor of FAT now or anything like that. I just felt that the explanation "everyone's moving away from mass storage in favor of MTP" is not satisfying for someone who used only mass storage on all Maemo devices so far, including Maemo 6. I can live with a good explanation why Jolla didn't include mass storage, as I could live with the N900 not supporting MMS given its complexity. I only feel that "everyone's moving away" isn't a good explanation.)
There are lots of technical problems related to mass storage mode, not just FAT vs more modern filesystems. It can be made to work but it requires lots of glue and has many bad side effects. I can understand why Jolla's sailors have decided to use MTP instead. I think Philippe has made a good job in describing many problems related to it.

MTP's main issue is that it is quite young so some operating systems are still having some problems with it. Hopefully situation is much better in a year or two.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
One useful?
Yes, I have installed Quicklist, speecrunch mobile, Scientific Calculator, screenshot, Android support, Documents, Notes, Maps, Media, Clock, Microsoft Exchange, Calculator, Mail and Calendar. Some of those are from Jolla Essentials collection.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
OK - now is this the answer to my question why mass storage was naturally supported on both the N900 and the N9 but isn't on the Jolla Phone? Because the Nokia models hat FAT partitions that the Jolla has not?

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue in favor of FAT now or anything like that. I just felt that the explanation "everyone's moving away from mass storage in favor of MTP" is not satisfying for someone who used only mass storage on all Maemo devices so far, including Maemo 6. I can live with a good explanation why Jolla didn't include mass storage, as I could live with the N900 not supporting MMS given its complexity. I only feel that "everyone's moving away" isn't a good explanation.)
Go back and read the whole reply please. All the reasons why were mentioned before, "everyone is moving away from it". Also mass-storage on N900 and N9 had a number of unresolved issues you might not have seen/or not always seen. Which is also a reason why it is not there now.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Philippe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by att View Post
Yes, I have installed Quicklist, speecrunch mobile, Scientific Calculator, screenshot, Android support, Documents, Notes, Maps, Media, Clock, Microsoft Exchange, Calculator, Mail and Calendar. Some of those are from Jolla Essentials collection.
Great now I only have to make sure my gf stays at home watching the door on Monday and I will be a jphone owner. Transport during weekend is a go, right?

I think we need a new anticipating thread for the next jolla device right here after Christmas.

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-12-13 at 17:12.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Czech Republic
Today I've received 2x Jolla device (Czech Republic). I haven't expected anything special but to my surprise I am touched to tears how great these devices are. I almost feel they have their own soul. I'm an mobile device addict, currently I have several androids (samsung note3, sony z ultra, ...) but this is really something special. Am I alone with such a feeling?

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Nalim For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience