Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
Guys, are these symptoms common to 51-3? If so, I'm going to reflash the unit back to 50-2 and see if it helps.
The only difference between 51-3 and 50-2 is the bootloader—no, none of these symptons is due to the firmware version.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Germany
Hi AlainJLEB,

I cannot confirm this issues with 51-3. I've just upgraded yesterday from OS2007 to OS2008 51-3 and everything is working fine.

Before upgrading to OS2008, I've disbabled first the virtual memory on OS2007 and re-created it afterwards newly on the OS2008.
Before the upgrade, I pulled out both memory cards which I placed back after finalizing the Start-Up Wizard from OS2008.

Furthermore, I did not restore anything from the OS2007.
Backup( on OS07 ) & Restore ( to OS08 ) could produce a lot of strange issues like you described.

I would recommend to you to flash the device again and make a clean setup without restoring anything. I hope this solves your problem.

.Snz

The Following User Says Thank You to Sorenzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by AlainJLEB View Post
How do you run a filesystem check on the card?
  1. Go into "Settings", "Control Panel", "Memory" and select the "Virtual" tab.
  2. Make certain "Extend virtual memory" is unchecked. If you receive an error message saying this is impossible, retry after closing all other applications on your tablet. If the error message persists, retry immediately after after shutting down and restarting your tablet without a charger connected.
  3. With your tablet powered on, connect it via a USB cable to a Windows computer. Your tablet's internal memory card should appear as an available drive within Windows after a few moments.
  4. Use Windows Explorer or some other means to determine the drive letter of your tablet's internal memory card.
  5. In Windows, open the Start menu, select "Run..."
  6. In the Run window that appears, type "cmd" and press enter.
  7. In the DOS window that opens, type "chkdsk [drive letter]:" where [drive letter] is the drive letter of your tablet's internal memory card. Do not type the quotation marks. For example, if your tablet's internal memory card appears within Windows as drive "E", you would type "chkdsk e:".
  8. Press enter. chkdsk will search for, and report upon, any errors with the filesystem on your tablet's internal memory card.
  9. If chkdsk finds errors, you can attempt to repair them by running chkdsk again with a slightly different command. For this you'd use "chkdsk [drive letter]: /f" where [drive letter] is again the drive letter of your tablet's internal memory card. Do not type the quotation marks. For example, if your tablet's internal memory card appears within Windows as drive "E", you would type "chkdsk e: /f".
  10. Regardless of whether or not chkdsk finds and repairs errors, please copy all your important files off your tablet's internal memory card to some backup location.
  11. Safely disconnect your tablet from your Windows computer using the icon in the tray area of the Windows Start bar.
  12. Disconnect the USB cable from your tablet.
  13. Semi-optional: (You backed up all your files, right? Right?) Use the file manager on your tablet to reformat your internal memory card. chkdsk should have fixed all the problems with your card. Should have.

Your tablet's internal memory card is now repaired. However, if your tablet has been crashing frequently--and it sounds as though it has--then it may be a good idea to reflash. The crashes may have resulted in corrupt configuration files, etc. in other parts of your tablet and reflashing will correct that. Make sure you back important files up first though.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
Guys, are these symptoms common to 51-3? If so, I'm going to reflash the unit back to 50-2 and see if it helps.
I'm still on 50-2, which is what I was using when I experienced crashes due to virtual memory on an internal memory card with a wonky filesystem. Plus, as the General wrote, 51-3 doesn't change anything that would affect this sort of issue.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
  1. Go into "Settings", "Control Panel", "Memory" and select the "Virtual" tab.
  2. Make certain "Extend virtual memory" is unchecked. If you receive an error message saying this is impossible, retry after closing all other applications on your tablet. If the error message persists, retry immediately after after shutting down and restarting your tablet without a charger connected.
  3. With your tablet powered on, connect it via a USB cable to a Windows computer. Your tablet's internal memory card should appear as an available drive within Windows after a few moments.
  4. Use Windows Explorer or some other means to determine the drive letter of your tablet's internal memory card.
  5. In Windows, open the Start menu, select "Run..."
  6. In the Run window that appears, type "cmd" and press enter.
  7. In the DOS window that opens, type "chkdsk [drive letter]:" where [drive letter] is the drive letter of your tablet's internal memory card. Do not type the quotation marks. For example, if your tablet's internal memory card appears within Windows as drive "E", you would type "chkdsk e:".
  8. Press enter. chkdsk will search for, and report upon, any errors with the filesystem on your tablet's internal memory card.
  9. If chkdsk finds errors, you can attempt to repair them by running chkdsk again with a slightly different command. For this you'd use "chkdsk [drive letter]: /f" where [drive letter] is again the drive letter of your tablet's internal memory card. Do not type the quotation marks. For example, if your tablet's internal memory card appears within Windows as drive "E", you would type "chkdsk e: /f".
  10. Regardless of whether or not chkdsk finds and repairs errors, please copy all your important files off your tablet's internal memory card to some backup location.
  11. Safely disconnect your tablet from your Windows computer using the icon in the tray area of the Windows Start bar.
  12. Disconnect the USB cable from your tablet.
  13. Semi-optional: (You backed up all your files, right? Right?) Use the file manager on your tablet to reformat your internal memory card. chkdsk should have fixed all the problems with your card. Should have.

Your tablet's internal memory card is now repaired. However, if your tablet has been crashing frequently--and it sounds as though it has--then it may be a good idea to reflash. The crashes may have resulted in corrupt configuration files, etc. in other parts of your tablet and reflashing will correct that. Make sure you back important files up first though.

Thank you muchly. I really appreciate it. I think I am going to go ahead and reflash my n800.

I have been having a ton of issues with programs freezing up and random restarts on almost every use. I have been hearing that the virtual memory can cause problems. I also heard from some senior members of the forums that the virtual memory is not necessary so I disabled it today and h aven't had any problems whatsoever. I have tried to recreate the situations that were causing the crashes and haven't ad any. I don't know anything about linux but I haven't had a crash since deleting the virtual memory.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
The reflashing of the OS and reformatting of the internal card seems to have worked well for me.

Originally Posted by Sorenzo View Post
Hi AlainJLEB,

I cannot confirm this issues with 51-3. I've just upgraded yesterday from OS2007 to OS2008 51-3 and everything is working fine.

Before upgrading to OS2008, I've disbabled first the virtual memory on OS2007 and re-created it afterwards newly on the OS2008.
Before the upgrade, I pulled out both memory cards which I placed back after finalizing the Start-Up Wizard from OS2008.

Furthermore, I did not restore anything from the OS2007.
Backup( on OS07 ) & Restore ( to OS08 ) could produce a lot of strange issues like you described.

I would recommend to you to flash the device again and make a clean setup without restoring anything. I hope this solves your problem.

.Snz
Hi Sorenzo,

Thanks for the tip, this solved my problem:
  • remove the internal cards
  • flash the system
  • boot and play

After some tests I have put back the cards in the N800, and everything seems to work fine so far

I am not sure if this is related, but just recently my web browser has become completely unstable. I hadn't been using the tablet much lately, though there were some upgrades that I noticed and allowed. I do not have virtual memory enabled (never knew it was an option even). The browser simply hangs after loading my home page (google news), and eventually it will either vanish from the desktop entirely, or the machine gives me a message that the program is not responding and allows me to close it.

Since I use the browser extensively when I do use the tablet, not having a usable browser is a big issue for me. Any ideas on what I should do?

Last edited by jnfr; 2009-02-26 at 16:54. Reason: sorry, didn't realize this was such an old thread. I was using search to find something related.