Many thanks for this work. Installed from the tar.gz and so far it has worked perfectly and fixed the "leave messages on server" bug. Thanks a lot!

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Many thanks for this. I wonder if there's any way to combine your version with another modified/fixed Modest package by matthew_exon (see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55771). It would seem nice to just have one "community" version of Modest floating around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Thank you so much for this fix. I was so desperate to have a functioning mail client on my phone that I went back to my G1 last night. Your fix has resolved all of the issues I was having and I'm now back with my n900.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
There's also hrw's patched modest version he put up in a repo for PR1.1. In particular, this included the patches for fixing the broken quoting:

http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/201...sitory-online/

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Is IDLE part of the buildable tinymail? Or does modest completely lack the functionality?

thanks. just installed it.
i am being waay security paranoid i hope you didn't add any spyware in it to work as deamon and transfer some info to you :P

Not working for me???? When I download the file, its not called Modest-3.4.2-baxyp-1.tar.gz, its just called Modest-3.4.2-baxyp-1.tar does this make sense?

I installed rootsh, I logged in as root. I typed the commands and it keeps telling me no such file can be found?

Sorry linux noob here, what am i doing wrong???

Originally Posted by baxyp View Post
I did put together a custom version of modest, to fix some bugs that PR1.2 introduced: send/receive and email notifications not working with POP3 accounts and messages deleted from server regardless of "Leave messages on server" setting.
Irritating, my unmodified Modest of PR1.2 leaves messages on server, and send/receive works ok, notifications work ok. Why for me and not for you?

My Modest has other bugs, though. When I have more than a dozen or so msgs in inbox (POP3 type) it hangs, is unable to show the list of msgs, while the mail widget still shows the new msgs and the notification system is not affected, too. So I always must keep the inbox clean or not letting it getting too big, annoying!

How can I see the exact version number of my Modest program?

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Las Vegas
Originally Posted by rm53 View Post
Irritating, my unmodified Modest of PR1.2 leaves messages on server, and send/receive works ok, notifications work ok. Why for me and not for you?

My Modest has other bugs, though. When I have more than a dozen or so msgs in inbox (POP3 type) it hangs, is unable to show the list of msgs, while the mail widget still shows the new msgs and the notification system is not affected, too. So I always must keep the inbox clean or not letting it getting too big, annoying!

How can I see the exact version number of my Modest program?
Type this in the terminal:

Code:
dpkg -l |grep modest
And scroll through the output until you see something like this:

Code:
ii  modest                                              3.4.2baxyp.1
It should be one of the first items that the command returns, so you'll probably have to scroll up a bit to see it. The rightmost column on the line is the version you have installed.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
i copied the file to my home/user folder

copy/pasted the command

and no matter what i do, i get that it cannot find the file.