Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Please anybody that hasn't updated can share the pr1.0/1.1 font, I find the new font's leading too big.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

I obtained the old font from a PR1.1 device on nokia RDA, and replaced the PR1.2 font. I like the tighter font much more. If you want the font pm me.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Tampa, Florida
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I obtained the old font from a PR1.1 device on nokia RDA, and replaced the PR1.2 font. I like the tighter font much more. If you want the font pm me.
I've been searching for this myself, but I can't send PMs yet. Is there any other way you can help me out? You should be able to send me an email through my profile.

Additionally, if you could pass along the directions of how to change/swap the fonts, I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited by JSW2; 2012-03-03 at 02:40.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Please anybody that hasn't updated can share the pr1.0/1.1 font, I find the new font's leading too big.
What's so bad about the new font IYO?

PR 1.2 has bigger font or just bigger spacing? I want bigger font or an option to adjust the font size. The current font is small in some places like the feed screen, the app review etc.

Hello to all, grab a cup of coffee, it's gonna be a big one.

So let's get started.

1. The fonts in the N9 are not redistributable. So I cannot post them here for download. However, since they came preinstalled with your phone there is nothing illegal in sending them to you if you happen to have a N9. I assume that anybody asks me for the fonts has one so I can send them to you.

2. From wikipedia:
In typography, leading (play /ˈlɛdɪŋ/) refers to the distance between the baselines of successive lines of type. The term originated in the days of hand-typesetting, when thin strips of lead were inserted into the formes to increase the vertical distance between lines of type. The term is still used in modern page layout software such as QuarkXPress and Adobe InDesign
3. The leading in the old font is too tight but in the new one it's way loose. The reason for this was that in some languages where characters are bigger, there were overlapping characters with the old font. but, while I recognise that the old font was too tight, the new one compromises readability, allows for less text on screen and doesn't look so good. The actual font size is the same.

4. One way to increase font size without changing the font-size property in all css files of the theme, is to modify the default font in FontForge and make letters actually larger for a certain point size. (haven't tried it)

5. How to change your fonts on the N9

5a. Introduction: Linux parses all fonts in the /usr/share/fonts folder and all subfolders as well as /home/user/.fonts folder. The font file names (*.ttf, *.otf) do not match the font names that are stated IN the font file. I don't know what happens if you put the same font twice in that folder with different names (probably weird things, as the system tries to find nearest matches for things)

5b. The first thing I did was move the folder /usr/share/fonts/nokia/Nokia Pure to /usr/share/fonts/nokia/Nokia Pure.orig and replace the original folder with the one from PR1.1 The result was that I got the PR1 fonts in some places (e.g. feed screen) and the PR1.2 ones in others (messages). I saw that the fonts in PR1.2 had a different name than the ones in PR1 so I renamed the PR1 fonts to match the PR1.2 ones (maybe this was due to differences in variant, as the difference was that one of them had Euro in it. Remembering what I stated above in (5a) I also deleted the .orig folder and rebooted. The fonts are now all PR1. I don't know whether renaming the font files was necessary, I suppose not.

5c. A possible solution would be to put the fonts in MyDocs and just load them with fontManager but I don't know if due to (5a) the system will get confused and load fonts randomly

6. I will not be always around, so I will give instructions for extracting the old font yourself for posterity
6a. Make an account on Nokia Developer, go to Nokia RDA and reserve a N9 for 30 minutes. Connect to the internet, rotate the screen (press view|screen orientation|rotate) and fire terminal.
Code:
cd /usr/share/fonts/nokia
tar czvf ~/pure.tar.gz Nokia\ Pure
cd ~
scp pure.tar.gz user@yourserverrunningssh:~
The last command sends the file to a server of yours running ssh. Instead you can set up a mail account and send the tarball to yourself or upload it somewhere using fennec or opera

6b. Download navifirm, download PR1.1 and extract the files from the image (search the harmattan hacker edition thread for instructions how to do it, I have no idea)

Anyway, that is all I know about the new font, sorry for the essay. People who asked me for the font should receive an email shortly. If you don't please send me an email @gmail (username like on tmo)

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-03-03 at 20:10.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Tampa, Florida
Perhaps someone can help me here. My N9 is a Malaysian variant, and I just replaced the fonts in /usr/share/fonts/Nokia Pure/ and while the menu and feed screen are in the old font now, when I actually use the programs, like messages, the font is still the new one when actually reading the content.

Do I need to replace the fonts in Nokia Pure AS and Nokia Pure ME too? Or is there something else that needs to be done?

I've tried setting it to both English (UK) and English (US).

EDIT: Nevermind, it turns out that it was one of those weird things that was mentioned in 5a above and that I skimmed over. My mistake.

Last edited by JSW2; 2012-03-04 at 17:30.

I haven't played around with it much but it's still not a 1:1 match with PR1.1.

Observations so far:
  • In feeds view the spacing between facebook feeds is tiny. Separate feeds are almost piled up on top of each other. So, it's not just the font that's changed. Could this be redemied with simple QML editing? I haven't messed about with them(N9's) so I got no idea whether they are editable. Oddly spacing between other feeds is good.
  • The messages view was the real problem with the new font and I think it's a bit better now, but the line spacing is still spacious to say the least. Also I think it could do with a tad bit smaller font.
  • Notes seem to have the same font settings as messages and could thusly do with the same changes.

For messaging and notes look at point 5 in the big post. I think this is the problem I faced too (both fonts still in the system)

The facebook thing though I don't know, but overlapping feeds happen once in a while, if you have home screen rotation enabled. If you rotate and back, they rearrange themselves ok.

The font in the review page in Store is still very small.