Posts: 539 | Thanked: 518 times | Joined on May 2010 @ nanaurbusiness
Pali is there anything else I can try to get power-kernel booting?
Omap1 and Omap1-fb are booting just fine so why kernel-power50 does not I don't get it? On page 1 flocke had the same problem, but somehow it was working later.

Edit: Somehow kernel-power50 is finally booting. But I'm not sure what exactly fixed it. I re-ran FSCK on MyDocs, renamed REUSEATAGS to USEATAGS and ran u-boot-update-bootmenu again.

Regards,

J4ZZ

N900 ~ $ make me a sandwich
-bash: no, make it yourself
N900 ~ $ sudo make me a sandwich
-bash: ok then...

Last edited by J4ZZ; 2012-05-05 at 20:31.

I'd like some help here. I've managed to flash the power kernel with the u-boot, and successfully load it. I've then proceeded to burn a Meego image into the SD card. When I select "external SD card" from the boot menu, it recognizes the meego kernel, and begins boot, but then a white strip is painted across the screen and 10-15s afterwards the phone reboots. The same behavior happens when I try to boot Nemo from the external card.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong... I must have forgotten something, but I don't know what it is...

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by bcunha View Post
I'd like some help here. I've managed to flash the power kernel with the u-boot, and successfully load it. I've then proceeded to burn a Meego image into the SD card. When I select "external SD card" from the boot menu, it recognizes the meego kernel, and begins boot, but then a white strip is painted across the screen and 10-15s afterwards the phone reboots. The same behavior happens when I try to boot Nemo from the external card.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong... I must have forgotten something, but I don't know what it is...
I'm experiencing the same problem.

I have been having the same problem while trying to boot directly this way, but the system booted fine after creating the appropriate item file and updating the menu.

[Edit]

Thanks for the reply. I've tried creating an .item file at /etc/multiboot.d/ pointing to the uImage at the external SD card. The u-boot updater simply ignores it. Could you please post your .item file here?
you are placing the item file in a wrong directory(it should be placed in /etc/bootmenu.d/), please re-read the first post carefully before going further.

if you are going to boot nemo make sure you use u-boot version built on the 4th of May or later.

I found that reading /usr/bin/u-boot-update-bootmenu is very useful for learning how the item file parameters should be filled.

example .item file:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=183

please note that if you are going to boot from an external loaction(other than nand) using a ready made uImage, ITEM_DEVICE and ITEM_FSTYPE actually refer to where the uImage is located whether or not it is the same partition you intend to boot from..

you specify the root device (the partition you want to boot from) along with other kernel parameters using ITEM_CMDLINE.

also for some reason, if the target kernel requires nolo atags and ITEM_REUSEATAGS is used instead of ITEM_USEATAGS, the target system won't boot (this even happens with KP when booting maemo).

Last edited by ivyking; 2012-05-07 at 06:52.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ivyking For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the reply. I've tried creating an .item file at /etc/multiboot.d/ pointing to the uImage at the external SD card. The u-boot updater simply ignores it. Could you please post your .item file here?

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
@Pali

I could not create "bootmenu.scr" file, so I investigated a bit and I think I found a little bug in u-boot-update-bootmenu script.
In fact, if file "BOOTMENU_CMD.default" is never created, the script will surely fail at lines 269, and file "bootmenu.scr" will never be generated.
I think this happens if you don't set any default entry (you don't create the symlink "bootmenu.item" in /etc/default/).
Maybe you should check if this file exist before line 269:

Code:
if test -f "$BOOTMENU_CMD.default"; then
cat "$BOOTMENU_CMD.default" "$BOOTMENU_CMD" > "$BOOTMENU_CMD.new"
mv "$BOOTMENU_CMD.new" "$BOOTMENU_CMD"
fi
I included command

Code:
in the "if" statement because, at line 255, you delete the file "BOOTMENU_CMD.new", so if file "BOOTMENU_CMD.default" doesn't exist, file "BOOTMENU_CMD.new" is not created and this command fails, too.

I hope I explained myself...

What do you think?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MaddogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 34 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Israel
ivyking is right. Nemo is now booting properly using the following .item in /etc/bootmenu.d/:
Code:
ITEM_NAME="Nemo"
ITEM_KERNEL="uImage"
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p3"
ITEM_FSTYPE="vfat"
ITEM_CMDLINE="root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait ro console=ttyO2,115200n8 console=tty0 omapfb.vram=0:2M,1:2M,2:2M mtdoops.mtddev=2 quiet"
ITEM_USEATAG=1

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to drucula For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ somerset
how can i extract nitdroid rc7 kernel on device as no pc at present cheers

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
hi friends just questions as we know that u-boot loads and multiboot flash
but if i installed multiboot and choose kp50 and boot but i didnt open the keyboard anytime so in short does multiboot flash if i didnt open the keyboard and change the kernel does it flash ?
thanks in advance.
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

Originally Posted by MaddogG View Post
@Pali

I could not create "bootmenu.scr" file, so I investigated a bit and I think I found a little bug in u-boot-update-bootmenu script.
In fact, if file "BOOTMENU_CMD.default" is never created, the script will surely fail at lines 269, and file "bootmenu.scr" will never be generated.
I think this happens if you don't set any default entry (you don't create the symlink "bootmenu.item" in /etc/default/).
Maybe you should check if this file exist before line 269:

Code:
if test -f "$BOOTMENU_CMD.default"; then
cat "$BOOTMENU_CMD.default" "$BOOTMENU_CMD" > "$BOOTMENU_CMD.new"
fi
I included command

Code:
in the "if" statement because, at line 255, you delete the file "BOOTMENU_CMD.new", so if file "BOOTMENU_CMD.default" doesn't exist, file "BOOTMENU_CMD.new" is not created and this command fails, too.

I hope I explained myself...

What do you think?
do you have free space on rootfs? try to reboot device

The Following User Says Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot