Active Topics

Originally Posted by sdstrowes View Post
This is what worked for me. But, I'm pretty sure it didn't take an hour to do the update once it started...
Does everything work? I mean, does the update manager do something different than calling dist-upgrade but forcing the packages on the rootfs?

Originally Posted by mr_ryde View Post
followed these exact instructions this morning and had 100% success. Remember to run backup on your phone first as you will need it after you reboot with the new software.

Following instructions from here: http://wiki.maemo.org/updating_the_f...ndows_7_32-bit

flashing using the command line

in order to flash directly from the xp/vista/windows 7 command line, follow these steps:

1. Download and install the latest version of flasher e.g. Maemo_flasher-3.5_2.5.2.2.exe
2. Download the latest firmware (.bin) file and save it to %programfiles%\maemo\flasher-3.5\ (the default installation path for flasher) or to the custom path of your choice.
3. Ensure the battery is at least half full.
4. Unplug charger cable and switch off the device.
5. Open the command prompt (start then run or windows logo key + r) and type cmd then press enter.
6. Change the directory to the flasher's path (tip: Use the tab key to auto-complete the commands and file-names)

cd "%programfiles%\maemo\flasher-3.5"

7. Hold the u key on the device keyboard and connect the usb cable at the same time (see the flasher documentation)
8. Run the following command:

Flasher-3.5.exe -f rx-51_2009se_2.2009.51-1_pr_combined_mr0_arm.bin -f -r

replace rx-51_2009se_2.2009.51-1_pr_combined_mr0_arm.bin with the firmware you wish to update (the name of the firmware image file you downloaded in the beginning).

The update will take approximately 4 minutes after which the n900 will reboot and display the welcome screen with regional settings.

thanks!!!!!! :d

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
REALLY you seriously serched the forum and could not find this news. Its been the most talked about thread ALL DAY. There have been about 5 similar threads started.

Posts: 446 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lake District, Cumbria, UK
[QUOTE=matts76;676373]
Originally Posted by UKAndy View Post
Some guidance very much appreciated...

I'm in the uk. I checked the OTA update for PR1.2 and it pops up in menu list. Great, i thought, but when i try to do the OTA update it tells me i need to update via PC and Nokia Updater. I thought ok, no problem, but when i connect to PC and try NSU, the PC tells me i have the latest firmware update... I clearly don't.

I'm rapidly losing confidence in Nokia. Why is everything so long winded!

Any ideas?

Many thanks[/QU OTE]

this question must have been asked like 100 times on this thread so far. If your being directed to NSU its because you dont have enough spaced in rootfs, in app manager deactivate everything except nokia software updates and uninstall any apps you dont need, you will need around 58mb of rootfs for OTA update, if you cant get that much then pr1.2 will be on NSU tomorrow or you can use the flasher 3.5 tool today, however remember to backup as only OTA will preserve your apps. Happy updating guys

or....a little longer but it works....reinstall the old firware that NSU says you have and then check for the update again on your phone and the OTA will work.

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ California, United States
Oh well whatever man

there is a new firmware PR 1.2 version 10.2010.19-1
in this link:

http://tabletsdev.maemo.org/nokia_N900.php

RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.19-1.003_PR_COMBINED_003_ARM.bin

is this the latest firmware ?

Last edited by malqattan; 2010-05-25 at 17:08.

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
What if I dont want to slide out the keyboard but still want to search for applications?

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Manchester
I've never flashed my n900 before, i've only ever done over the air update or through nokia software updater,
Both are not giving me and option to update to pr1.2
and yes i am in UK
Can someone give me newb friendly instructions on how to update to pr1.2 flashing method
Thanks

N900 APP REVIEW SITE IS NOW LIVE
http://maemoappreviews.blogspot.com/

Do a little search
Updating the firmware

Anyways if I flash using this method will I erase all applications on my device?

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
Tomorrow, it should be available through NSU!