Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
I've had to reinstall twice in a few days due to the credentials warning, is it expected behaviour that a reinstall only fixes the problem temporarily? (uninstalled - reboot - reinstalled).

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by achilles333 View Post
I wonder how "Toggle PSM" app working. It toggles Power saving mode. May be I need to execute command to execute this app in custom rule. What do you think?
Power saving mode seems to work without the credential, even though API docs claim otherwise. But since it seems to work anyway, I will put out an update that gives the warning only about flight mode.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by edgar2 View Post
I've had to reinstall twice in a few days due to the credentials warning, is it expected behaviour that a reinstall only fixes the problem temporarily? (uninstalled - reboot - reinstalled).
There's actually no expectation how it will work. As said, to get flight mode working at all, a bug in the security platform is used (exploit, if one could use such a naughty term for a benevolent feature). But in certain conditions the platform fixes the credentials. I do not know what these conditions are, but I suspect installing/uninstalling some other software may cause it.

So the short answer is, yes, reinstall may be only a temporary fix. Real fix is using inception or open mode kernel. And that's probably the only way forward after PR1.3.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
I just received my NFC tags. could you kindly include NFC conditions to ProfileMatic, it would be really helpful
A daemon won't be needed with NFC I guess

Originally Posted by UnlimiteD3k View Post
I just received my NFC tags. could you kindly include NFC conditions to ProfileMatic, it would be really helpful
A daemon won't be needed with NFC I guess
NFC condition will be in 1.7.0. You're right that daemon is not needed necessarily with NFC, but since ProfileMatic is anyway a daemon for its other features it makes sense to build the NFC support into the daemon as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
There's actually no expectation how it will work. As said, to get flight mode working at all, a bug in the security platform is used (exploit, if one could use such a naughty term for a benevolent feature). But in certain conditions the platform fixes the credentials. I do not know what these conditions are, but I suspect installing/uninstalling some other software may cause it.

So the short answer is, yes, reinstall may be only a temporary fix. Real fix is using inception or open mode kernel. And that's probably the only way forward after PR1.3.
So in not so many words I still won't have internet on/off as previously requested?

Originally Posted by Muzimak View Post
So in not so many words I still won't have internet on/off as previously requested?
You have understood correctly.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Novosibirsk, Russia
Ajalkane
Thank you for direct and extended reply and your great app. Just very short comment in last hope to reverse your judgement.

Actually your proposed model is much more powerful and complicated than proposed by me. My suggestion is based on common approach to building rule-based interfaces like mail filtering. And it in fact either doesn't affect at all or affect positively your goals:

- ProfileMatic is always in the background running. Therefore I must strive for it to be light-weight. I should strive to minimize memory and CPU usage.
The less rules you process the less power is eaten, so ability to stop applying rules improves battery life.

- Power of expression for user so that he can make rules that do what he wants
Better again: default mode remains unchanged and expressiveness improves.

- Easy for new users. The UI should be as simple as possible, while allowing creating rules that do what's necessary to make life easier.
Default mode remains and adding <Don't apply rules below> action doesn't either complicates UI much nor adds any confusion. This concept in fact present in many UIs for rules definition like mail filtering in mail clients or packet filteing in routers setup.

- Convenient to create different kind of rules.
Don't see this changed. You may define everything as before + a little more

Originally Posted by Loginin View Post
Ajalkane
Thank you for direct and extended reply and your great app. Just very short comment in last hope to reverse your judgement.
You make fine points. But mail-filtering, while a good example, is not exactly something that an average user knows how to do.

My point is, that I try to keep the application expressive but not intimidate newbies with bunch of options that are hard to understand.

That said, your proposal in my estimation would be very easy to implement. So I may make it in the future. Putting it away into some sub-page like "Advanced" or something. I'll at least write your suggestion down, but can't promise when I'd do it. Too much work already, too little time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
NFC condition will be in 1.7.0. You're right that daemon is not needed necessarily with NFC, but since ProfileMatic is anyway a daemon for its other features it makes sense to build the NFC support into the daemon as well.
Some apps allow you to control the daemon, as in make it run in the background or not.

What you can do is, if there are conditions requiring the daemon, you run it automatically and if the condition is NFC only, it stops the daemon.
Thats just a suggestion for you to look into if possible.

having said that, if I installed the app but did not define any rules/conditions, will the daemon still be running in the background?

The Following User Says Thank You to UnlimiteD3k For This Useful Post: