Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Thanks ade,
that was the missing link.

I already had the updated u-boot-update script, but was wondering about that "/var/tmp/bootmenu.cmd.default" error. (So used original version.)
But as I like to have the run attachboot as default, I just omit that /etc/default/bootmenu.item? Will the script run?
Or is there another/nicer way to have attached kernel as default with new u-boot? (Because I do not have an item like that. OK. could create one, but hen I would have it two times in list, right?)

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
thanks, I tried the suggestion but my generated bootmenu.scr is a bit messed up.

It created (according to the command output) a default bootmenu item as per the symbolic link. I'll see later if it boots automatically. And then it created 2 (internal NAND) entries, one for 'Maemo 5 with attached kernel 2.6.28-Omap1...' and of for '...power51...'

very strange. I think there's still something wrong with the update script, as per Highlander: "There can only be one" in the Internal NAND
I'll reboot and see what's the result.

EDIT: End result is rather ok, the default entry (power51) is indeed booting. Only visual error is in the menu, having the 2 ''Internal NAND" entries, on list position 1 and 2. I don't if the attached stock kernel (2nd item in the list now) boots fine. I'll try that right now.

EDIT2: I can only see visual artifact, all functionality is fine : The auto-generated 1st entry, the default entry received a suffix in the menu:" (Internal NAND)", while it's not actually present in NAND, it's just the default. It might be an enhancement to show it's the User default setting.

Thanks for the work!

PS, now with the latest changes, could people later (after testing/finding out) post working .item files for Nemo (standard SD card dd based install) and NITDROID (standard install too) ?

Last edited by Netweaver; 2012-07-09 at 22:55. Reason: further testing

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Netweaver For This Useful Post:
Can not confirm 'screwness' of bootmenu. Everything fine here, just tested it. (I do not need it, as my default -KP50- is the attached one. So removed the link again ).

About boot items for
NITDroid and Nemo, please see below. Both are running fine.
NITDroid on SD, p1 (boot.scr, kernel) with FAT and p2 (nitdroid) wih EXT3
Nemo on SD, default image.

NITDroid:
put kernel (uImage) on p1 of SD (fat) and nitdroid rootfs on p2 of SD (ext3)
or wherever you want it, just adapt
Code:
ITEM_NAME="NITDroid 2.6.28.NIT.07 on mmcblk1p2"
ITEM_KERNEL="uImage"
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p1"
ITEM_FSTYPE="vfat"
ITEM_CMDLINE="snd-soc-rx51.hp_lim=42 snd-soc-tlv320aic3x.hp_dac_lim=6 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 rw rootwait init=/init panic=30 debug"
ITEM_OMAPATAG="1"
Nemo:
put kernel into "/boot", to have update script convert it to uImage
Code:
ITEM_NAME="Nemo with kernel 2.6.37-10.7"
ITEM_KERNEL="nemo-handset-armv7hl-n900-0.20120614.1.NEMO.2012-07-02.1-vmlinuz-2.6.37-10.7.Nemo.Adaptation.N900-adaptation-n900"
ITEM_MODULES="ext3"
Have fun!

--edit
another example for
NITDroid:
put kernel (uImage) on p2 (/home) of eMMC and nitdroid rootfs also on eMMC p2 (home)
Code:
ITEM_NAME="NITDroid 2.6.28.NIT.07 on mmcblk0p2"
ITEM_KERNEL="uImage"
ITEM_DEVICE="${INT_CARD}p2"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext3"
ITEM_CMDLINE="snd-soc-rx51.hp_lim=42 snd-soc-tlv320aic3x.hp_dac_lim=6 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootwait init=/init panic=30 debug"
ITEM_OMAPATAG="1"
or:
put kernel (uImage) on p1 (MyDocs) of eMMC and nitdroid rootfs on different eMMC p2 (home)
Code:
ITEM_NAME="NITDroid 2.6.28.NIT.07 on mmcblk0p2, kernel on p1"
ITEM_KERNEL="uImage"
ITEM_DEVICE="${INT_CARD}p1"
ITEM_FSTYPE="vfat"
ITEM_CMDLINE="snd-soc-rx51.hp_lim=42 snd-soc-tlv320aic3x.hp_dac_lim=6 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootwait init=/init panic=30 debug"
ITEM_OMAPATAG="1"
--editedit
and another example for
NITDroid:
put kernel (uImage) on p5 of eMMC and nitdroid rootfs also on eMMC p5
Code:
ITEM_NAME="NITDroid 2.6.28.NIT.07 on mmcblk0p5"
ITEM_KERNEL="uImage"
ITEM_DEVICE="${INT_CARD}p5"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext3"
ITEM_CMDLINE="snd-soc-rx51.hp_lim=42 snd-soc-tlv320aic3x.hp_dac_lim=6 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 rw rootwait init=/init panic=30 debug"
ITEM_OMAPATAG="1"
Attached Files
File Type: zip bootmenu.d.zip (2.1 KB, 211 views)

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2012-07-13 at 12:47. Reason: added more examples and zip file

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 84 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Italy
Hi!
I wanted to install BackupMenu together with NITDroid; I first installed U-Boot, then BackupMenu and it worked, that is, I could load BackupMenu from U-Boot menu; then, I installed NITDroid with autoinstaller and it replaced U-Boot menu with its boot menu.
NITDrois is installed in the mass memory: how can I create an entry in U-Boot menu to choose to load BackupMenu and NITDroid?
I'm afraid to mess everything.

I can see that in the NITDroid boot menu there's an entry:
11-NITDroid-mmcblk0p2-2.6.28.NIT.07.item
with this lines:
ITEM_NAME="NITDroid 2.6.28.NIT.07 on mmcblk0p5"
ITEM_KERNEL=2.6.28.NIT.07
ITEM_MODULES=ext3
ITEM_DEVICE=${INT_CARD}p2
ITEM_FSTYPE=ext3
ITEM_FSOPTIONS=rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro
but I guess I can't simply put it in U-Boot folder.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Mr Wolf; 2012-07-12 at 22:39.

First: there is no need to fully quote the previous post (makes it hard to read; why to read it twice?)
Second: I suggest to move your topic to NITDroid thread, as
Third: you already messed it up.
Backupmenu depends on bootmenu, nitdroid (autoinstaller) on multiboot, bootmenu and multiboot are mutually exclusive.
Do not know about latest autoinstaller, but v0.0.8 just removed all not compatible stuff and flashes the nitdroid kernel (removing u-boot).
So again, please move to appropriate thread or open new one if you feel so.
You will have to decide: using u-boot (bootmenu) or multiboot?

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Italy
Ok... corrected. Actually, I just wanted to answer to you.
I tried to post in the NITDroid topic and even in the NITDroid forum, and I just got one answer which said that U-Boot has menu entries both for BackupMenu and NITDroid.

So, I wanted to try U-Boot.
My idea was to remove multiboot from NITDRoid, so I guess NITDroid won't load anymore, and add an entry in U-Boot, but I don't actually know what to do without messing all.
I don't know if it's "correct" to copy NITDroid entry from multiboot in U-Boot folder and if that will work.

Last edited by Mr Wolf; 2012-07-13 at 14:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Wolf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Can not confirm 'screwness' of bootmenu. Everything fine here, just tested it. (I do not need it, as my default -KP50- is the attached one. So removed the link again ).

About boot items for
NITDroid and Nemo, please see below. Both are running fine.
NITDroid on SD, p1 (boot.scr, kernel) with FAT and p2 (nitdroid) wih EXT3
Nemo on SD, default image.

NITDroid:
put kernel (uImage) on p1 of SD
or wherever you want it, just adapt
Code:
ITEM_NAME="NITDroid 2.6.28.NIT.07 on mmcblk1p2"
ITEM_KERNEL="uImage"
ITEM_DEVICE="${EXT_CARD}p1"
ITEM_FSTYPE="vfat"
ITEM_CMDLINE="snd-soc-rx51.hp_lim=42 snd-soc-tlv320aic3x.hp_dac_lim=6 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 rw rootwait init=/init panic=30 debug"
ITEM_OMAPATAG="1"
Nemo:
put kernel into "/boot", to have update script convert it
Code:
ITEM_NAME="Nemo with kernel 2.6.37-10.7"
ITEM_KERNEL="nemo-handset-armv7hl-n900-0.20120614.1.NEMO.2012-07-02.1-vmlinuz-2.6.37-10.7.Nemo.Adaptation.N900-adaptation-n900"
ITEM_MODULES="ext3"
Have fun!

--edit
another example for
NITDroid:
put kernel (uImage) on p2 (/home) of eMMC and nitdroid rootfs also on eMMC p2 (home)
Code:
ITEM_NAME="NITDroid 2.6.28.NIT.07 on mmcblk0p2"
ITEM_KERNEL="uImage"
ITEM_DEVICE="${INT_CARD}p2"
ITEM_FSTYPE="ext3"
ITEM_OMAPATAG="1"
Ok, so now we can boot Nemo on microSD card? I must only edit Nemo.item ?

I, for my personal liking, really do hate those "full quotations"!

But if you need another confirmation:
YES.

I have added a zip file in above post with some examples.

@Mr Wolf
decide to keep multiboot OR u-boot
first option :
flash the kernel to NAND with multiboot each time you change
install backupmenu-multiboot, bootmenu not available/compatible
reinstall u-boot

second option
reinstall backupmenu (incl.bootmenu), removing multiboot
reinstall u-boot
load the kernel with u-boot (follow dedicated u-boot forum.nitdroid.com thread guide)

As this is not really related to this thread anymore, please keep this one clean and start on another one again, if you need more help.

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2012-07-13 at 23:07. Reason: changed bzip to zip, according to allowed dumb file endings

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Lithuania
I have some problems with new version of u-boot. I removed old u-boot-flasher and tools then installed new one, restarted phone to u-boot screen and everything looks just fine, i choosed kernel and it shows me that kernel is starting! but wait.. it hangs bit a while and just shutdowns and even not shown bootmenu console with opened keyboard. Stock and power51 kernels both fails, nitdroid loads just fine. ) need help to find out whats wrong with him, thanks

EDIT: Remembered there is framebuffer that can i use :P so here is my real problem why he doesn't found my root ?

EDIT2 : Is there possible to add framebuffer support to kernel-power, i like it more than usual booting ?
Attached Images

Last edited by Nobless; 2012-07-15 at 02:16.

just read error messages. this looks like corrupted rootfs. kernel cannot mount ubifs rootfs filesystem.

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot