the button stopped working probably due to over-usage. now I'm thinking how to turn the phone on if it is off. maybe i could change the function of the volume button so that a long press turns the phone on/off? that would be a great fix considering that i am planning on getting a new phone anyways. is this possible?

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
For turning off, there are some tiny apps that do reboot/powerdown, and to turn on you should be able to do it by plugging a charger.
How come did you 'over-use' the power button? Do you switch your device on and off many times a day?

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
I had the same issue with my power button, it was one of the main reasons I replaced my housing. As minimos said, just plug in a charger to turn on, and get an app to shutdown. To unlock, I just used double tap, and to lock I have an icon on my desktop, although I don't use it that much any more. If you are interested in the lock icon I can get you the instructions.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
For turning off, there are some tiny apps that do reboot/powerdown, and to turn on you should be able to do it by plugging a charger.
How come did you 'over-use' the power button? Do you switch your device on and off many times a day?
It's a known failure mode of N9, the power button (and volume buttons to some extent) is not very durable.
Some people have had luck in cleaning the SMD switch located on the edge of the system board under the actual button, but in the worst case it requires replacing the switches.

You cannot "turn on the device" by plugging it into the charger, as by default it goes to ACT_DEAD mode when plugged to charger when switched off.
What you can do, is to use flasher to reboot the phone from OFF state, using the command "sudo flasher -r"
Or, if you are using ubiboot, you can override the ACT_DEAD mode by setting "G_OVERRIDE_USB_CHARGER_BOOT=1" in your ubiboot.conf (which actually is the default option, BTW...)

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
i applied a mod from qtweak so that a double click unlocks the screen. bad i idea. whatever, i think I'm gonna order a new phone and try not to turn of the phone for two weeks until then. i don't think i can rely on the phone powering-up by plugging it in. from my experience it doesn't always go. maybe of it's off as a result of a low battery it might turn on automatically upon being plugged in. i don't know for sure. so thank you but i don't need an app for turning it off. I'll just wing it until the imminent end of my MeeGo career. now i just gotta decide what kinda phone to buy. I'm thinking Android or Lumia. there's probably a thread for that already.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Yisroel491 View Post
i don't think i can rely on the phone powering-up by plugging it in. from my experience it doesn't always go. maybe of it's off as a result of a low battery it might turn on automatically upon being plugged in. i don't know for sure.
Read what I said in my previous posting.

When your device is powered OFF and you connect it to charger, it will not turn on, it will enter ACT_DEAD mode.
What this means, is that altough the kernel starts to execute, no UI is presented to user and most of the device drivers are not initialized.

This is done to have lookalike-compability with the previous generation of Nokia smartphones (and dumbphones) which behaved this way, when you put a switched-off phone to charer, it will charge but not turn on.

To override this behaviour you need some additional SW in the phone, for example a more flexible boot manager (that's ubiboot for you...)

Originally Posted by Yisroel491 View Post
so thank you but i don't need an app for turning it off. I'll just wing it until the imminent end of my MeeGo career. now i just gotta decide what kinda phone to buy. I'm thinking Android or Lumia. there's probably a thread for that already.
Well, neither of those are really usable, IMHO, but you might find out they are suitable for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
It's a known failure mode of N9, the power button (and volume buttons to some extent) is not very durable.
Totally unacceptable if you ask me. I've been saying this to the death so people must be tired of me saying it again but my last phone before the N900 was Palm Treo 600. I had it for 9 years and never had any problems with any USB connectors, mechanical switches or the hot-swappable SIM holder. Nokia has a reputation for build quality that does not seem justified.

You cannot "turn on the device" by plugging it into the charger, as by default it goes to ACT_DEAD mode when plugged to charger when switched off.
I may be wrong but I thought he meant turning the display on from the standby mode. I would expect a few other ways of doing that, like e.g. receiving a call

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I may be wrong but I thought he meant turning the display on from the standby mode. I would expect a few other ways of doing that, like e.g. receiving a call
Heh, doubletapping would do that.

I understand his problem is turning the device power OFF and ON.
(what else do you use power button really for, huh? At least I am so afraid of breaking it I do not use it except in utmost emergencies...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Read what I said in my previous posting.
i had read what u said. thing is i am not computer savvy. so unless somebody wants to write me a step by step comprehensive guide then i will just have to make due. my computer illiteracy is also part of the reason that iwas planning on changing phones any ways.

The Following User Says Thank You to Yisroel491 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 178 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Austria
As far as I remember, when developermode is enabled N9 turns on after connecting the charger, even it's turned off.
It annoyed me sometimes