Active Topics

Nokia n9 lacks a decent dictionary, so i ask for a decent dictionary reader that can use the words data from our Oxford Dictionary CDROM(that come with the dictionary book we bought).

BTW, iphone is supported by Oxford university press.

If data isn't encrypted just write scripts to parse/grep the files. That, or petition the press to open the source, support er else

Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
I wouldn't say 'N9 lacks a decent dictionary'. If you don't mind paying money, Merriam-Webster has a few options, all decent. I have the full Unabridged installed on my N9, which is sufficient for most needs.

Being British I would prefer to see either the Chambers or the OED available (both of which I have for my desktop). The Chambers I can have on my N900, but not the N9.

I have wondered how easy it would be to have these running on a Windows server with a web app front end I could access over the internet on the N9, i.e. to my own licensed versions. I guess I would have to write the web app, which would have to simulate mouse-clicks etc to 'read' the OED database and then display the results directly in the browser - not easy for me, but for a coder I imagine relatively straightforward.

The Following User Says Thank You to noetus For This Useful Post: