Originally Posted by rcs1000 View Post
Nokia's initial plan was to manufacture 30,000 per month. That's since been increased to 100,000 per month.

However, given it's out of stock in much of Europe, I'm guessing Nokia could probably ship 150-200k per month, maybe more with a price cut.

For comparison, the Pre (which is heavily carrier subsidised, and advertisied) sells 250-300k per month.
Considering worldwide sales and the Pre was/is a bit of a flop - that isnt too good is it? (not sure). Still its nice to see some figures. More sales = more support for N900 from Nokia.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisp7 For This Useful Post:
i'd love to see some figures on how well the n900 is doing, in both comparitive and absolute terms.

given that the n900 success rests on a large userbase to enthuse all this open-source porting, i'm keen to see if my chosen platform has a top-tier future.

Maybe a board moderator can have a look how member count has increased since release. I think thats a little indicator too.

Originally Posted by roose View Post
Maybe a board moderator can have a look how member count has increased since release. I think thats a little indicator too.
But how could you compare that figure, all it would say is, yes the forum traffic has gone up a hell of a lot.

The N96, N97 were lemons, they bring out a half decent Nokia phone with a decent OS (N900) of course you are going to get interest. I know they know Symbian GUI is poor, but lets hope they dont focus 95% on Symbian and treat Maemo like an evil stepchild.

Last edited by chrisp7; 2010-01-22 at 11:50.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
Originally Posted by roose View Post
there was a post about that already, hence the server move to handle the large influx. was even said that the delayed move was an underestimate of how many would be using maemo.org. think it was posted in community section.

Originally Posted by Wiener View Post
According to Geizhals.at N900 is ranked as follows:

1. HTC HD 2
2. Iphone 16 GB black
3. Nokia N900
4. Motorola Milestone
Problem is that most of these are based on a "vote" system with results being posted weekly and such. GSM Arena has the Nokia E72 as their top rated phone with the HD2 in second.

Without actual figures it impossible to tell whats going on, quite a few people who have signed up (to the forums) will be asking questions or researching on different phones although seeing a graph on member registrations over the past month would still be a very good indicator of the interest of the phone.

My recommendation would be to see how many Applications have been downloaded in the past month, Angry birds or Facebook Widget would be good indicators to how many people are actively using the N900. But then this is based on the theory that everyone who has bought the N900 is actively downloading applications.

Overall though I think no matter the sales the phone has been a success, its had VERY limited marketing in the UK and knowledge of the handset is still rather low. (I ended up showing my local Vodafone store how to use the handset whilst they were trying to sell it to me) As long as we're not in the same boat as the Nexus 1 I'm happy.

Slightly off topic: Why is everyone saying "N900 is no iPhone killer!" they are completely different phones.........

Last edited by DarkPand0r; 2010-01-22 at 11:56.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
one indicator could be operators delivering n900's and their estimates of delivery time. it still seems that one may have to wait over a month. (picked some experiences from people who had taken n900 from teliasonera at finnish forums couple weeks ago)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
But how could you compare that figure, all it would say is, yes the forum traffic has gone up a hell of a lot.

The N96, N97 were lemons, they bring out a half decent Nokia phone with a decent OS (N900) of course you are going to get interest. I know they know Symbian GUI is poor, but lets hope they dont focus 95% on Symbian and treat Maemo like an evil stepchild.
s60v5, there is no such thing as "Symbian GUI"

khrm sonyericsson krhm...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
In theory, there are download statistics for the packages in Extras. In practice,. they are broken since the beginning of December.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
s60v5, there is no such thing as "Symbian GUI"

khrm sonyericsson krhm...
You, and everyone else know what I meant - whats your point.