Active Topics

I never expected the n900 to be "upgradeable" (i read that as an OTA update) to meego. I do expect that the developer community will release a meego firmware that we will be able to flash our device with to get meego if we choose. Whether or not meego on the n900 will be fully functional (cell antenna, wifi antenna, gps, bluetooth...) i think is still up in the air.

My real concern is that everyone keeps saying "meego app will work on maemo5 with little or no modification." The problem with that is that its up to the developer to want to release their app on both maemo and meego. Sure it may be as simple as recompiling the code with no changes at all but if the developer doesnt do it and the source code isnt open, then one OS is left without the app. Independent developers will almost certainly release their apps for both meego and maemo but what about apps from companies? I can currently get things like a Geico app on an iphone but there is no such app for symbian platforms. I know that iphoneOS and symbian are nothing alike but i think the argument is valid: if the developer doesnt want to release multiple versions of the application (even if no changes are needed) then theres no guarantee that maemo will get the app.

Also if the new meego applications require new hardware to function (e.g. multitouch capable screen) the n900 wouldn't be able to run these apps either. It just upset me when I keep reading that "maemo can run meego apps! stop worrying!" It can only run the apps if the developers want it to.

Am I totally wrong? Have I misunderstood the development process of applications for the QT platform? Please feel free to let me know if i am wrong because I really want to understand the situation.

The Following User Says Thank You to lfcobra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Luleå, Sweden
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
My further take on this: http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com...esponsibility/
Good summary!

/oxpo

The Following User Says Thank You to oxpo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
I really do respect your optimism over this but you need to understand that I and many others don't share it. Do not get me wrong... I certainly hope that you are right on this one but my personal experience with Nokia devices leads me to expect you are not.

It's a shame that the biggest spreader of "FUD", Nokia, do not see the need to protect their image and customers by being more communicative and affirmative regarding device support timelines etc.

On another point people on this forum need to be aware that the N900 is being sold, in the UK at least, as an uber-powerful new multimedia smartphone. One of the UK's biggest mobile retailers Carphone Warehouse is selling it this way. I went in to a store today and pretended to be a lay user interested in upgrading to the N900 having seen their adverts - they certainly aren't selling it as a dev-device. Don't be so hard on people on this point - just because you may realise it, doesn't mean that your average Joe consumer hasn't been sold it without being warned/made aware of this.

Last edited by stopgap; 2010-03-15 at 20:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stopgap For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lfcobra View Post

My real concern is that everyone keeps saying "meego app will work on maemo5 with little or no modification." The problem with that is that its up to the developer to want to release their app on both maemo and meego. Sure it may be as simple as recompiling the code with no changes at all but if the developer doesnt do it and the source code isnt open, then one OS is left without the app. Independent developers will almost certainly release their apps for both meego and maemo but what about apps from companies? I can currently get things like a Geico app on an iphone but there is no such app for symbian platforms. I know that iphoneOS and symbian are nothing alike but i think the argument is valid: if the developer doesnt want to release multiple versions of the application (even if no changes are needed) then theres no guarantee that maemo will get the app.
I think that depends on what's needed to release multiple versions of the app. For example, if developers do have to recompile it then yes that effects what apps will show up if the source code isn't released. But if it's something like Android's java interpreter, it shouldn't matter. You would be able to take an app released for Meego, and just run it on the N900 without a need for a recompile. Though sadly I think it's the earlier one.

Also if the new meego applications require new hardware to function (e.g. multitouch capable screen) the n900 wouldn't be able to run these apps either. It just upset me when I keep reading that "maemo can run meego apps! stop worrying!" It can only run the apps if the developers want it to.
Well considering Nokia and Intel's goal is to run Meego on nearly everything, if a developer wants to create a multi-touch only app, then their app is only marketable to devices with multi-touch capability. Meego isn't N900 + next Nokia device. Meego is netbooks, mobile devices, TVs, etc..thus a developer that wants the largest audience will make an app that isn't limited to certain hardware forms.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stopgap View Post
I really do respect your optimism over this but you need to understand that I and many others don't share it. Do not get me wrong... I certainly hope that you are right on this one but my personal experience with Nokia devices leads me to expect you are not.

It's a shame that the biggest spreader of "FUD", Nokia, do not see the need to protect their image and customers by being more communicative and affirmative regarding device support timelines etc.

On another point people on this forum need to be aware that the N900 is being sold, in the UK at least, as an uber-powerful new multimedia smartphone. One of the UK's biggest mobile retailers Carphone Warehouse is selling it this way. I went in to a store today and pretended to be a lay user interested in upgrading to the N900 having seen their adverts - they certainly aren't selling it as a dev-device. Don't be so hard on people on this point - just because you may realise it, doesn't mean that your average Joe consumer hasn't been sold it without being warned/made aware of this.
I agree, in UK the handset is selling well and pushed by CPW and other retailers like vodafone stores and Nokia stores.

This could be the best device on the market if we had full support from nokia and other developers ( No no talking about supporting meego talking about support maemo for n900)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by stopgap View Post
I'm just wondering how that COULD be wrong, given that I am going by facts, whereas those believing the blogger are falling for hysteria.

???

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ berkshire, england
My own take on this, will meego / any newer build be available on the n900 past the slim pickings updates we will get ???

NO , the reasoning behind my thought, it won't make nokia anymore money , so why would they do it ? Newer is better in the general consumers mind, so they buy a new device / upgrade.

I think nokia's "this is a phone , no its a tablet/whatever its called this week has been dubious to say the least .... and their staunch stand of making very ambigous / double meaning posts on various web based platforms re ongoing support is to say the least a bit of a kick in the vegetables.

I love my n900 for what it can do now, i respect the people here very much who can and do port / create software to keep it going, but by the time its full potential has been realised it will be solely community based and too late for many general consumers

Just my thoughts ,

James

The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyb5374 For This Useful Post:
the thing is that there just isn't enough advertising for thi phone! it blows all other phones out of the water, on what other phone can you do all of the things you can do on the n900? When my bro took a look at my n900 he was blown away!

Develpment for the n900 is slow yes but it's still moving and I dont see it ever stopping, I bet that no matter what os nokia change to it will no doubt suffer the same problem, it seems that someone in Nokia has an unfounded love for symbian and is refusing to let it go.

If we dont get meego who cares? Im sure that someone clever will come along and wright there own fw or at least update the current, if not apps will still keep coming and the great support will continue, if anyone says anything different they obviously dont spend alot of time on maemo.org!

Does anyone remember the original windows media player? it's now called media player classic, is open source and is one of the best media players ever!

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Well considering Nokia and Intel's goal is to run Meego on nearly everything, if a developer wants to create a multi-touch only app, then their app is only marketable to devices with multi-touch capability. Meego isn't N900 + next Nokia device. Meego is netbooks, mobile devices, TVs, etc..thus a developer that wants the largest audience will make an app that isn't limited to certain hardware forms.
I fear you are right but you shouldn't be. A developer should program for the most capable device and both the app and the OS should gracefully degrade the app when the capability doesn't exist. If Meego ends up with a bunch of apps designed to run on non-touch netbooks it will die. If it winds up with a bunch of apps that are not usable without multi-touch, it will die.

If I run a well written Windows program on my OQO, it detects that I'm running in 800x480 and it adjusts while my desktop runs 1280x1024 and, again it adjusts. My OQO has an active digitizer so programs like Acrobat let me do ink annotations while my desktop does not have a digitizer so I don't see that function. This auto-configuration started from the initial install of Win7 which turned off Aero on my OQO because it didn't detect sufficient graphics hardware acceleration.

The point is, I don't have to do anything - no options, no preferences, no configuration, no hacking - to make this happen. That is how a developer should write for Meego. Figure out what device you are running on and adjust all the program's options accordingly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Little Rock
...enough of speculations ..!!, objective and logical assume the following summary:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to astrolito For This Useful Post:

Tags
fud, troll!, troll76