Notices

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
great work dude ! may whole community bless ya

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 543 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Kiev, Ukraine
I use face recognition for Ubuntu Lock screen about a year and it's great when you have constant lightning, but in case of the phone it would be a great solution for locking.

- Open File dialog is ugly and quite unusable, but I can't use the standard one due to a bug in Qt libs
realsportcars, what bug are you talking about?

Posts: 401 | Thanked: 724 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by divan View Post
I use face recognition for Ubuntu Lock screen about a year and it's great when you have constant lightning, but in case of the phone it would be a great solution for locking.

realsportcars, what bug are you talking about?
This one: http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-20201

Donate link

Posts: 1,444 | Thanked: 461 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ pakistan
i have pm'ed realsportcars but i think i need to share my problem here with every one :$

tried installing it both ways with .deb file and from devel too but getting same problem .
i can see the icon but when i click on it , it doesn't open :$
tried from xterminal and got : permission denied :$
what could be the problem ?

i have categories plus installed .
is it conflicting ?

The Following User Says Thank You to eefo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 939 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ U.K.
i have installed through FAM and it's not starting up i'm getting the icon (had to reboot) but nothing else is happening. shall try though x-term what to enter though?

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Stellenbosch, South Africa
@eefo, try chmodding the binary for the app.
I haven't tried installing it yet but I assume it will be installed in /opt/usr/bin or /opt/<appname>, cd into that folder and run "sudo chmod +x <app executable>". Should fix it...

The Following User Says Thank You to SPARTAN563 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Yea, anyone can use photo of You to get access. Very ultimate security, indeed.

Anyway, nice idea for app. Waiting for initial release
Any decent security system consists of two elements: something you have and something you know. Link your face to a password and neither element on it's own would grant you access. Anyone with half a brain could see that is better than a password on its own...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,444 | Thanked: 461 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ pakistan
Originally Posted by SPARTAN563 View Post
@eefo, try chmodding the binary for the app.
I haven't tried installing it yet but I assume it will be installed in /opt/usr/bin or /opt/<appname>, cd into that folder and run "sudo chmod +x <app executable>". Should fix it...
thanks alot buddy

Posts: 401 | Thanked: 724 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Italy
Sorry guys I forgot to set executable rights on this...

from X-Term
Code:
sudo gainroot
chmod +x /opt/whoareyou/whoareyou
I will fix this in next release

Donate link

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to realsportcars For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
Any decent security system consists of two elements: something you have and something you know. Link your face to a password and neither element on it's own would grant you access. Anyone with half a brain could see that is better than a password on its own...
[OFF-TOP]For me it's like MAC filtering on Your home AP (well, I mean not Your personally but who knows... ), or "hidden" networks, without broadcasting ssid. Or even worse, disabling dhcp as means of "Security". Sorry - I haven't measured how many percents of brain remain in this geeky head, but I don't see how "protecting" anything with such a easily obtainable thing as photo of Your face is any real addition to password.

You said "something that You have". Yea, as far as it's something that "only You have". Thinking like that, we can assume that even password demand something that You have - using of fingers. Everyone else also have this? Photo of someone else face is only 1% harder to obtain.

Fingerprint recognition is other thing - much harder to bypass for "kids" (ho ever, still quite easy to reproduce fingerprint, if You really prepare for "attack").

It's really sad how much computing power (and time, and money) is wasted for such "wishful thinking" about security - like virtual keyboards for logging into bank account But, whatever - it's really out of scope of this thread.
[/OFF-TOP]

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: