CPU implenter: 0x41
CPU arch: 7
CPU variant: 0x1
CPU part: 0xc08
CPU revision: 3

Hardware: Nokia RX-51 board
revision: 2204
Serial: 0000000000000000

Also my IMEI number works on the nokia website. And does have the 03 in the middle which suggest it's made in Finland.

As root, do the following in the terminal:
Code:
echo 30 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
As root, do the following in the terminal:
Code:
echo 30 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
Doesn't that change the swap?

Originally Posted by Lithdk View Post
Doesn't that change the swap?
No, it changes the swappiness.

The default is 100. Too swappy.

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
The REAL-FAKE N900s have a TV tuner and can only run Java apps.
The Fake-New-Real refurb/repair AKA FrankeN900s are reanimated dead N900s. The best are ones with fixed USB port, the worst are those where the chips have been soldered off and swapped around to make a barely bootable phone that is full of the old users junk, apps, and contacts which on some phones you cant remove or reinstall; they wont risk wiping or flashing these fragile ones.
The N900 is great but as it ages it gets to a wonky condition, hot air soldering the chips off doesn't help, at a certain point the bootloader gets corrupted and it won't enter a flashing state, at that point you are hosed.

Last edited by biketool; 2013-08-15 at 20:51.

Hardware: Nokia RX-51 board
Serial: 0000000000000000
Nice, mine is rev 2101.

Firstly, congratulations on getting the most awesome phone + h/w keyboard ever produced. As you've already discovered, this is also the most awesome community ever.

If your seller has 99.7% rating and missold you, I'd ask for $40 back in exchange for a 5* rating. Make a big deal out of the misselling and tell him you'll give him a negative rating otherwise.
It's probably worth $40 to him just to avoid that negative rating.

You can't be warned enough about the USB port. I've broken 2 now.

The only other big flaw of the N900 is that it only has 256MB memory which Maemo takes up roughly 120% of. Yep, 120%. If anyone ever produced a fake working N900 with 1GB memory, they'd sell like hot cakes.

There are currently 3 good ways to ameliorate this:
1. CSSU Thumb. This is a version of CSSU with pretty much perfect track record and full functionality yet is a lot smaller footprint.
2. Your N900 is going to swap regardless. By default, it swaps to internal flash. This is slow flash and will wear out its flash cycles. Investing in a microSD card with fast writes will be your second investment though it needn't cost much. Also, when the N900 runs out of swap space, it'll become unresponsive for 10+ seconds. FlopSwap can fix that without rebooting.
3. Conky will tell you what's hogging your memory.

Most of the good software on N900 is third party and not very well catalogued. There's software for pretty much everything and probably the best way to find it is to ask on here.

I use my N900 mostly for browsing (Opera), taking notes (Quicknote), spontaneous photography (Bless N900), alarm clock (SleepAnalyser and EvilAlarm) and ofc the phone.

Lastly, don't buy into that SpeedPatch BS.

The Following User Says Thank You to _David_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 266 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ India
Lithdk.. I wish to tell u my bitter experience..

1. go to paint.. use your stylus and check "all sides of your touch screen works"(mine didn't work the last time I brought it,from another dealer)
2. does keypad lights work properly?? last time I brought one, keypad lights for asdzxc didn't work..

if u face any one of these pls return it and "get a REFUND"..

Originally Posted by visN900 View Post
Lithdk.. I wish to tell u my bitter experience..

1. go to paint.. use your stylus and check "all sides of your touch screen works"(mine didn't work the last time I brought it,from another dealer)
2. does keypad lights work properly?? last time I brought one, keypad lights for asdzxc didn't work..

if u face any one of these pls return it and "get a REFUND"..
All sides are fully working. Can draw on the whole area.

Keypad lights work perfectly.

@_David_
Well he missold me according to his ad calling it "real", but didn't really missell me according to my expectations. Im perfectly satisfied with both the product and service I have received and I think he earned his money. Only drawback was the battery that was dead on arrival but I've ordered a new one and was planning to switch it out anyway for something with more juice.

Yeah Im gonna go buy some accessories tommorow and see if I can find a cheap microSDHC card and will definately look into SWAP.

Also looking into power kernel and cssu-thumb, but I think Im gonna play around with the phone for a while and then reflash and get power kernel and cssu-thumb when I get a better grib of the phone.

Already got conky^^

The Following User Says Thank You to Lithdk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
No, it changes the swappiness.

The default is 100. Too swappy.
Yeah, that was what I meant, and while Im thankful for your reply and tip you shouldn't just tell people to paste commands into terminal. Lucky for me I've been using linux for a while - not that I got the know-how of anything linux, Im a complete idiot -, and I know to research things before I paste them into my terminal.

I'm more than happy to post outputs from terminal validating the phone's genuinity and I'm also thankful for tips on programs and tweaks to optimize my phone, but I would like them explained so I can make an educated/researched choice wheter I want that program/tweak.

I mainly made this thread to get help on validiting my device as genuine and now that we've established it is, the thread will be here to help other people contemplating buying a phone from the same seller.

Do not take this the wrong way though, I will definately change my swappiness, but just explain to people what you are asking them to do if it affects their system in any way. :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lithdk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Gonna copy it by hand
The two tricks I use to avoid manual copy from/to terminal are:
  • Open the post in MicroB (the built-in browser in N900)
  • Open an SSH session from my PC to my N900

Lucky you. I have 3 (three!) N900s and they are all revision 2101.