I will start off by saying that the N900 is my favorite mobile device I have ever owned, it has impressed me time and time again. The only thing more impressive than the device is the community behind it that made so many things possible (so clearly without the help from Nokia).

I have been lucky with my N900, I purchased it the week it was released from the Flagship store in NYC and have had absolutely no problems with it. But it will eventually break. Even if it does last forever, sooner or later I am going to need a phone to keep up with current technology.

Hence my frustration Nokia heard it's customers loud and clear - if the N950 was released to the public (and just not developers) with specs that matched its competitors (dual core processor, etc.) I would be in line waiting to buy one. But they have not, and to the best of my knowledge there is no phone (or should I say mini-computer) that comes anywhere near the N900 on the horizon.

So when my N900 does fail or I feel I need to upgrade due to lack of performance compared to other devices, where do I turn? Is there any rumors about a phone that has the N900's potential with a community backing with specs that meet it's competitors? Or will I be forced to switch to Android or God forbid... Windows Phone...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 83 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Liverpool, UK
Looks like you're just as buggered as the rest of us, old chap. Maemo is lost, and all we can really do now is make voodoo dolls of Elop, and crucify them.

For a replacement, i'd keep my eye on the Galaxy Note. Yes, it's Android, but it has a massive 5.3 inch screen that makes up for the lack of keyboard, and crucially - a stylus! It's no N950, but it'll have to do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adamFsmith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
Or will I be forced to switch to Android or God forbid... Windows Phone...
Hopefully ubuntu-mobile will be aviable in the future.

Originally Posted by adamFsmith View Post
Looks like you're just as buggered as the rest of us, old chap. Maemo is lost, and all we can really do now is make voodoo dolls of Elop, and crucify them.

For a replacement, i'd keep my eye on the Galaxy Note. Yes, it's Android, but it has a massive 5.3 inch screen that makes up for the lack of keyboard, and crucially - a stylus! It's no N950, but it'll have to do.
No. QWERTY Keyboard is a must for 99% of us. That includes me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
Hopefully ubuntu-mobile will be aviable in the future.
Any news with any mobile running ubuntu-mobile?

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Any news with any mobile running ubuntu-mobile?

This is the best I've seen. I would problably prefer it over n9 because of keyboard and untapped potential. It is not available anywhere as of yet. Getting linux to run, say, like easy debian, is still an open challenge on android phones. Don't know of any running ubuntu-mobile..

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/07/26/sa...tt-and-rogers/

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by adamFsmith View Post

I agree. WIth the bigger screen the typing is easier. The Galaxy Note is awesome. Why get an n9 when you can get this...

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gala...view-651p3.php

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Off-topic: And it also feels like the forum is starting to be a little bit boring.... no major news, lot of spams...dying threads...lack of motivation!! everyday i come here, i spend less than 10 min gosh! (It's my own opinion btw, no offense)
I hope Nokia will review their position about maemo because it's very promising. The N950 was promising too but ... you know what happened!
Me too I don't know what phone I will have next! maybe stay for two years again with my N900 (Will the repositories be still Up? I don't know), waiting for nokia to release an other great phone like it, or switch to a Scrap-Phone, i mean iPhone or Windows Phone?
The best choice, in my opinion would be Android, It's more symbianish. Anyway everybody started with Symbian isn't it???

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
Posts: 83 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Liverpool, UK
No. QWERTY Keyboard is a must for 99% of us. That includes me.
Same here, I despise touchscreen typing as much as anyone here, but it's a sacrifice i'll have to make. The screen is big enough to type on with both thumbs anyway, so it really isn't all that bad.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Landscape view makes typing a little easier and a BT keyboard will have to do for those times I need to type an essay

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:

Tags
forsaken