Poll: What do you think about n900 price
Poll Options
What do you think about n900 price

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
be careful with that, if you're unlucky and customs open your package (as they occasionally do) you might have to pay even more than the VAT.
EU has no duty rate for cellular phones (or notebook computers). So it's only the VAT you have to add when purchasing things like these from the US.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by ioioio View Post
Device looks very thick compared to n810, the screen is smaller, the keyboard is way smaller, it's going to be absolute hell typing anything on that keyboard. Very disappointed in Nokia.
. . . and, yet, everyone I know who has actually used both devices says you don't notice the screen size difference and that the keyboard is actually significantly better to type on than the N810's.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by range View Post
EU has no duty rate for cellular phones (or notebook computers). So it's only the VAT you have to add when purchasing things like these from the US.
Yes, but EU customs usually not only add the local VAT, but also a fine for not declaring it properly.

Yes, but EU customs usually not only add the local VAT, but also a fine for not declaring it properly.
That is the sender's problem.

That is the sender's problem.
Are you sure about that?
As far as i know, it's your responsibility (as importer) to declare it with customs. They won't even hand out the package before you pay.

it happened to me once a few years ago

sites like thinkgeek.com explicitly point out that they have no idea about customs when shipping overseas, and that it's in your own responsibility.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Well, the shipper is the one that fills in the custom declaration form. Most legitimate business would want to fill in the form honestly, and that way you'll have to pay the full taxed value which most of the time makes the item more expensive than if you buy it locally anyway.

Are you sure about that?
As far as i know, it's your responsibility (as importer) to declare it with customs. They won't even hand out the package before you pay.
If the sender puts "T-Shirt, US-$15" on a package containing an N900 and I have to pay a penalty for that, you can be sure that that will be the sender's problem

If the sender puts "T-Shirt, US-$15" on a package containing an N900 and I have to pay a penalty for that, you can be sure that that will be the sender's problem
that's not what i meant.

you have to tell your customs office that you will be recieving an imported good, if you didn't do that and they notice the package, you will be fined.

i can provide you with a link if you want to, but it's in german.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on May 2008 @ France
I already got several parcels through the customs, and unless it's a big-name carrier (UPS, TNT, DHL...), they don't take an arm and a leg in addition to the VAT. Our USPS partner is not as expensive as the big ones.

I think even if my parcel gets stuck at the customs I'll still have for less than 50€ fees + VAT, so it's still cheaper for me.

The fees are not a fine for not declaring it properly, they are just "documentation fees" (not sure of my translation, that's what they take for paying the guy who processes your parcel)

We'll see if I can handle the shipping time though, that's my biggest gripe about getting stuff from other countries.

PS : French laws here, probably different in other EU countries

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Since 2008 its allowed to import higher amount without paying duties but since then they also check better (at least in NL). This means there is a 1-2 week delay in delivery, and pay some amount to declare the item (20 EUR or sth). Then they add 20%. Really sucks if your item was second hand. Thank god for the free market!!!!11

Tags
n900