Active Topics

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York
Originally Posted by Ovek View Post
I've currently got a iPhone and a HTC Hero (Android) and to be honest with you I'm not sure I will swap one or both devices with the N900, don't get me wrong I would love to but I can't bring my self to preorder one yet.

I really don't know why... maybe its the lack of media regarding the features of the phone, yes we have some foreign videos but the content of them is so painfully generic you can guess what they are saying.

So I suppose I was hyped for it when it was announced but the coverage from Nokia world was basically nonexistent (quite telling if you ask me) has deflated the gadget nerd inside of me. None of the features that we have seen have "wowed" me to the point of wanting to spend £500 on one.

Edit: And ill miss the trackball from my Hero... god I love that trackball.
well I've used the hero its a amazing device but android is no media power house and at its current rate it's a infant maybe a year from now it will be in its prime. As far as the iphone i only had the ipod touch and from my experience it was okay. I like the physically keyboard on the n900 i can see myself using this like i did my n95 8gb (and dearly miss it). I went out to Miami and recorded my cousin full freestyle (hip hop) session a hour long, went back to the hotel and uploaded it. I had sonic 1, 2 , 3 and Mario games playing them on the train because i had a physically keypad loved it. tethering, skype , accelerometer games, plus apps from third party developers and with a major developer base. This device will explode and i feel it you have maemo 5 being the first maemo cellular device so data connection on the go is possible. If i had a iphone and hero I'd damn sure sell it lol. One thing for sure apple will make a better iphone in may next year and the hero will be replaced knowing HTC shoot look at engadget.com they already talking about a HTC Android HD.

Originally Posted by mykenyc View Post
well I've used the hero its a amazing device but android is no media power house and at its current rate it's a infant maybe a year from now it will be in its prime. As far as the iphone i only had the ipod touch and from my experience it was okay. I like the physically keyboard on the n900 i can see myself using this like i did my n95 8gb (and dearly miss it). I went out to Miami and recorded my cousin full freestyle (hip hop) session a hour long, went back to the hotel and uploaded it. I had sonic 1, 2 , 3 and Mario games playing them on the train because i had a physically keypad loved it. tethering, skype , accelerometer games, plus apps from third party developers and with a major developer base. This device will explode and i feel it you have maemo 5 being the first maemo cellular device so data connection on the go is possible. If i had a iphone and hero I'd damn sure sell it lol. One thing for sure apple will make a better iphone in may next year and the hero will be replaced knowing HTC shoot look at engadget.com they already talking about a HTC Android HD.
Oh yea a physical keyboard would be one of the major plus points for me that and SummVM and a good SNES and NES emulator.

I find its always helpful to compare the hardware, as well as the software (OS + apps) of devices I'm evaluating. So in addition the very-good-so-far iPhone and N900 data points, I would also offer the following:
  1. Both phones utilize same underlying CPU Core chip (different from CPU itself): ARM Cortex-A8
  2. Both have same RAM capacity: 256Megs
  3. Both have same graphics controller: PowerVR SGX
  4. N900 has considerably more user RAM: 3Gig versus 0
  5. N900 has higer pixel-depth of iPHONE 3GS: 800X480 versus 3200X400

The iPhone out-strips pretty much all WinMo phones on the market today, but FTW the N900 matches or surpasses the iPhone in critical compenentry. Details: http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdacomp...=2019&id2=1938

Best,

digittante

The Following User Says Thank You to digittante For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
note, its the iphone 3gs that has cortex, earlier ones do not...

oh and 3200?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I'm currently using an iPhone 3GS and the Blackberry Bold. In general i use the bold for instant messaging (BB messenger and YM) and the iPhone for the rest (browsing, some productivity apps, entertainment, good video cam). I'm sure the N900 is very capable and I'm going to get one as soon as it's available (I'm keeping my options open as I don't believe the preorder bundle is the best deal possible yet), but I don't think it can replace the iPhone in my workflow with its super high convenience yet. So I'm really hoping to see Blackberry Connect for Maemo so I can replace the Bold with it

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by digittante View Post
The iPhone out-strips pretty much all WinMo phones on the market today, but FTW the N900 matches or surpasses the iPhone in critical compenentry. Details: http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=pdacomp...=2019&id2=1938
The technical ability of the N900 isn't really where any doubt is at. It's the apps that will make up the difference in the mainstream.

As of right now, those announcements are too lacking to convince people to switch or consider it fully yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by digittante View Post
[...][*]Both have same RAM capacity: 256Megs
[...][*]N900 has considerably more user RAM: 3Gig versus 0

N900: 32 GB flash storage, 256 MB RAM, 768 MB swap, microSD (16 GB)
iPhone 3GS: 32 GB flash storage, 256 MB RAM.

[*]N900 has higer pixel-depth of iPHONE 3GS: 800X480 versus 3200X400
800x480 vs 320x480.

N900 has wide aspect ratio 16:9 (WVGA), supports tons of proprietary codecs including Flash (and does not need XViD/DiVX to be reencoded), 5 MP Carl Zeiss, recording at 800x480 25 fps. It sports a 1320 mAh removable battery (versus 1219 mAh non-removable battery), 10/2 mbps (HSPA), full BlueTooth 2.1 + EDR ie. no jailbreak necessary, transreflective screen (Nokia N810 and Nokia E71 are usable in direct sunlight; iPod touch 2nd generation is not), ...

iPhone 3GS has digital compass, App Store, Skyhook Wireless, multi touch, 2:3 aspect ratio, 256k color.

I'm sure there are more differences...

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post

N900: 32 GB flash storage, 256 MB RAM, 768 MB swap, microSD (16 GB)
iPhone 3GS: 32 GB flash storage, 256 MB RAM.

800x480 vs 320x480.

N900 has wide aspect ratio 16:9 (WVGA), supports tons of proprietary codecs including Flash (and does not need XViD/DiVX to be reencoded), 5 MP Carl Zeiss, recording at 800x480 25 fps. It sports a 1320 mAh removable battery (versus 1219 mAh non-removable battery), 10/2 mbps (HSPA), full BlueTooth 2.1 + EDR ie. no jailbreak necessary, transreflective screen (Nokia N810 and Nokia E71 are usable in direct sunlight; iPod touch 2nd generation is not), ...

iPhone 3GS has digital compass, App Store, Skyhook Wireless, multi touch, 2:3 aspect ratio, 256k color.

I'm sure there are more differences...
The n900 will also have skyhook wireless because it just depends on network access. My n95 8gb also has skyhook wireless which is used in google maps before the gps kicks in. So i assume it should be there on n900 too. And maemo is confirmed to get ovi store. Also there are rumours that the n900 may have digital compass.. but not sure

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
The n900 will also have skyhook wireless because it just depends on network access.
No that is GSM triangulation. Skyhook Wireless is an API which you have to license. Since the device has GPS and A-GPS it doesn't matter much... provided the GPS is better than the one in Nokia N810. Say, what kind of GPS chip is in Nokia N900?

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Also there are rumours that the n900 may have digital compass.. but not sure

That would be so sweet... enhanced reality apps, here we come!

Video tagging/drawing/... your environment anyone?

Tags
n900 v. iphone 3gs war