Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Just tested and got sat fix within seconds (Germany).
But when was your last fix and how far did you move since then?

For T-mobile usa, lbs.geo.t-mobile.com apparently is also a SUPL server, but it does not work on my n900. Oddly enough this does seem to work on my Nokia 5230 Nuron, as it can get a really fast assisted GPS lock (as in 5 seconds).

I want my N900 to lock that fast

Should this be technical support for T-mobile? I should be allowed to use this SUPL server as I'm a subscriber to their wireless service...

Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
FWIW, the only thing with stock Maps that needs an active Internet connection is Search. Everything else, including route calculation, doesn't need an Internet connection, unless of course you are suddenly zooming in more, or attempting to display an area for which maps are not already cached on-device.

Stock Maps will try to establish an Internet connection automatically, but you can always refuse to do so, or use dummy connections (see Wiki).

I don't know why there's so many people saying AGPS is not needed. Well it is true, it isn't truly needed - GPS indeed will get a lock on its own, but it can take more than 10 minutes... This long time to lock may make people think it's not working.

Things that would be great to have a quick lock:

- Geotagging photos. Though geotagging has been a privacy issue if not handled properly, it makes it easier for someone to remember where they took a particular picture if they didn't label them.
- Location based services like Gasbuddy.com Mobile web page. If you're out of gas and don't want to spend 10 minutes to find a close (and possibly even cheap) gas station in a town you don't know.
- Power saving. Being able to just get a quick lock via AGPS when you switch on your map and turn it off to save power. The alternative is to keep the GPS running all the time... If only it didn't take a minute or so to even get a warm lock (and the power burn while waiting for the lock.)

I guess one does get spoiled when AGPS works as it should.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
But when was your last fix and how far did you move since then?
Good question, did not really think about before posting. Cannot remember now anymore, but most probably it was a long time ago, as I mainly use GPS functionality with my N9 nowadays. But probably almanch data was already up-to-date. So ...

Originally Posted by Ulle View Post
... So I'd rather doubt that probs are caused by Googles PKI. Last root certificate changes for supl.google.com were in mid 2011 (from Thawte to Equifax/Geotrust).
Yep, true!
I also invested some time and tried to invetigate. But only thing I could find out, it has nothing to do with certificates. openssl revealed full access to supl. google.com. But as well as to supl.nokia.com. So only thing I can imagine is, closed binary GPS blob may still use ssl v2 (I could not establish ssl2 conn to those servers)?

Originally Posted by Ulle View Post
... As supl.google.com has stopped working with N900 I started searching for other supl servers, unfortunatly there are not many around. I found

supl.vodafone.com
supl.sonyericsson.com
sls1.sirf.com

seemingly to be active. With supl.vodafone.com my dish icon stopped blinking after some minutes, so I'm fine with this. Didn't check the others for location data, just for propper TLS responses .
Thanks for sharing.
vodafone needs more testing, as my GPS is locked right now ...
sonyericsson would need some sony self-signed certificate, which I could not find
similar applies to sirf.com (do you have those certificates?).

Anybody out there needs to know that!!!
It is impossible that the whole internet/world community does not know why we are doomed

So -please- any one knowledged step up and speak out.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Anybody out there needs to know that!!!
It is impossible that the whole internet/world community does not know why we are doomed

So -please- any one knowledged step up and speak out.
At least I would like to know why!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Woah. I think I may have AGPS working again, at least it *looks* like it.

Note: This is for T-Mobile USA customers only. I suspect a lot of US users use their N900s on T-Mobile USA anyway because their 3G bands works with the N900. If you're not a T-Mobile USA customer, sorry this will not work as T-Mobile has this SUPL behind their firewall, so you have to use your data plan to use this server (and not wifi).
1. Goto http://dp.t-mobile.com/pki/ - download and install these certificates:
T-Mobile USA Root CA.crt
T-Mobile USA Issuer CA 05 v1.crt
T-Mobile USA Intermediate CA 01.crt
Details later
2. Set your SUPL server to lbs.geo.t-mobile.com
3. Reboot (not sure why this is needed, but somehow it started working after reboot)

Now I can't totally vouch all these steps are needed but somehow, after doing these things, I turned my "10 minute blinking satellite icon" to "blink twice and stable" and get a lock that's within 2 miles even without satellite information. This is very indicative of some sort of AGPS lock I think.

Edit: I do have to admit, the "locks" I got were worse than what I got when supl.google.com was working - they're like 3 km instead of ~1.5km with google.

If someone could verify this as good that would be nice too.

Last edited by eccerr0r; 2013-08-07 at 00:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to eccerr0r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Texas
My GPS is working with supl.google.com just takes awhile to get going. I usually get it working with GPSData and GPSJinni both running at the same time.

Before I was getting the AGPS lock with supl.google.com within 30 seconds (even indoors, as long as I'm on GSM) - but as of recent it would have to fall back to standard GPS lock (or never getting a lock if indoors). 30 second is longer than the little satellite dish blinking 8 times, so if it blinks longer than 10 times, likely AGPS lock wasn't successful.

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
I am fairly certain supl.google.com does not work for me. Previously a fix sequence in Mapsi/Modrana went generic country location, cell mast location, position, the first 2 being agps. Now I don't get the second, or so it seems.

Tags
a-gps, nokia n900