Personally I would not use the 3G modem, but if there will be available both version (wifi-only and wifi+3G) I see no problem adding the modem.

Great job!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babba22 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
There will be 2 versions of 3G bands. One with 850/1900 for North and South America, and another version of 900/2100 for EU/Asia/RoW.

I can't put all those 4 bands on one modem as the old PCB does not support.

Processor is the same as Jolla Tab. I think in terms of power it should be enough, it's the SW optimisation that needed...
Well, personally don't see much use for 3G. Since I would have to pay for another plan I would rather buy a wifi hot spot to get LTE or tether. Maybe many folks can't get 4G/LTE here?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
Same here, if 3G was an option at modest extra cost, I would buy it even though I don't expect to have much use for it. I did the same in my work laptop (at cost best described as 'not modest') and it has proved itself useful on several occasions.

I would theres no hit on battery life when not enabled, but even a small hit there wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Will it be banned by your president?
Banned? No. Only if it isn't delivered to its customers

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 218 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ India
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
...I most win in the jolla refund roulette game to support any sailfish product....
And you have to support Jolla if you want your refund as Jolla will have to be profitable to be able to refund money to anyone!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meet.vino For This Useful Post:
If there's no compatibility problem with Jolla Tablet I would like 3G.

Especially if it is possible then to make phonecalls with the tablet!??

Is it?

If there's no compatibility problems with Jolla tablet I would like 3G.

Is it possible to make phonecalls with the tablet then? That would be an extra plus for me!

Is it?

Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
A quick feedback will be appreciated:

See the first attached picture -

As Explit asked before, there is actually a possibility of adding cellular network, but 3G instead of LTE.

(Also LTE involves too many bands across different regions, but 3G is more unified.)

On the open connectors on the right hand side of the picture, we can put a 3G modem on it. And another slot will be made next to the micro SD slot. See the second attached pic.

The question is: Is that of your interest to have a 3G cellular function with a reasonable (small) cost? Or you prefer WiFi only?

Also worth note that due to the limitation of this old PCBA, we can only use a dual 3G band modem, therefore I can't make a universal 3G model, will be 1 model for NA and LATAM, and other model for RoW.

Please give us your feedback, as we are close to launch the product...

P.S: Anyone notice the memory chip on the first pic? It's KLMDGAGEAC-B001 and it's 128GB
It would be very cool to have WWAN, Even 3G. 128gb + 3g would be my choise than.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
I guess 3G could make the tablet more usable for navigation, as Internet connection usually means faster lock thanks to AGPS and cell tower positioning. You can also use online navigation services if the nice offline ones we have on Sailfish OS are not enough for you.

So all in all a 3G modem could definitely be useful but I'll reiterate what the others said - only if its addition does not endanger the success of the project as a whole too much.

Tethering is almost always and option & in some cases could be the preferable option even if your tablet has a modem (you just have a single SIM card and don't want to get another one).

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Me to, don't need 3G. In fact, I don't even need 4G. The very few times I can think of where WiFi is not an option, I can use tethering.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os