Active Topics

As it is my first post - welcome!

I've got a question which interested me some time ago.
I decided not to ask questions which were already asked so I have looked for some information here on TMO but I didn't found satisfying answer. I only found similar thread but for N900 - link.
So my question is - does "average" (not very complicated or complex, some terminal one) armel package will work on MeeGo Harmattan without additional modifications?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by EtoCZ View Post
As it is my first post - welcome!

I've got a question which interested me some time ago.
I decided not to ask questions which were already asked so I have looked for some information here on TMO but I didn't found satisfying answer. I only found similar thread but for N900 - link.
So my question is - does "average" (not very complicated or complex, some terminal one) armel package will work on MeeGo Harmattan without additional modifications?
Depends on whether the executable is linked statically or dynamically, and what it does... if you have a statically linked binary that does just console IO, it might work out-of-the-box.
Otherwice, you need the libraries of course; for example, if you have an armel Debian package you need the runtime environment for it; you need to run it under Easy Debian.

On the other hand, if you have the sources it is really easy to build and link the application against Harmattan environment, then it will run just like any native binary.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Thank you for the answer.

I was thinking about updating mplayer to the newest version but it looks like it is much more difficult.
I've got much to learn yet.

Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Originally Posted by EtoCZ View Post
Thank you for the answer.

I was thinking about updating mplayer to the newest version but it looks like it is much more difficult.
I've got much to learn yet.
You can compile mplayer in scratchbox and copy the resulting binary over to your device. (or package it). I remember doing this few years ago.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post:
So I will give it a try.

And what about the same with adding more conversation plugins through modifying libpurple and/or telephony-haze?