Active Topics

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, PR1.2 for Maemo 5 has been announced at http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...e-release-1-2/

The announcement also contains this information:

Many of you have been asking whether the new MeeGo platform will be supported on the N900 once it’s device-ready. Although Nokia N900 devices are being used for platform development and testing purposes by those involved in the MeeGo project, we don’t have plans for a full scale commercial MeeGo upgrade on the Nokia N900. The reason? It’s really about ensuring that you have the best possible experience designed for the features on your Nokia N900 device.
In other words, the MeeGo-Harmattan release from Nokia will not be officially supported in the N900. But if you have an engineering mindset and you are interested in exploring what can be technically achieved by the community, please be active in this thread.

Carsten, the maemo.org distmaster, is in the best position to coordinate this effort. He has all the Mer experience and he is working in the open project to provide an N900 hardware adaptation for the MeeGo OS. He is also used to collaborate with members of the MeeGo Devices team at Nokia like Tero Kojo or myself, who will pay attention to the progress of this effort.

One of the main factors to be considered in this initiative is the key role of Qt, a key layer in the MeeGo architecture and a very useful bridge across platforms and releases. Qt 4.6 is now officially supported in Maemo 5 and Qt 4.7 is already in extras-devel. This is a very good indicator of the possibilities Qt based apps have beyond Maemo 5, into MeeGo and also the upcoming Symbian releases.

BIG DISCLAIMER

Please don't bug the people working here with questions/complaints about Maemo 5, open/closed software, official updates or MeeGo. There are plenty of threads for this just a click away.

The project discussed here is about getting the API, UX and apps of the first MeeGo device from Nokia (aka "MeeGo-Harmattan", provisional name) running in the N900. For insiders, this basically means making Harmattan run in the N900. The Harmattan content is not public yet and nobody really knows how good the releases of this initiative will be. Follow the MeeGo hardware adaptation for N900 thread to have an idea of the worst case scenario to be expected.

How can you help? Please be constructive. Be ready to test and provide feedback. And be patient: this project can't dliver faster than the MeeGo & Harmattan projects themselves.

Thank you!

EDIT: Subject changed as requested.

Last edited by qgil; 2010-08-12 at 18:08.

The Following 120 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
24seven, Abemelek, aboaboit, acvetkov, adrianmilev, Andre Klapper, Andy1210, ARJWright, atilla, attila77, ayos!, b-man, Bec, benny1967, bergie, biggzy, Bratac, Bundyo, bwayne, cfh11, chase15, cheve, Chrome, cjp, cjsegninir, Crashdamage, Criss123, D4rKlar, daperl, dashti, Dave999, Dr.Heyde, dynomot, edgar2, EIPI, ersanpermana, evil_m0nkey, ezcola, fatalsaint, feighery, flailingmonkey, FreeThinker, fw190, gabby131, H3llb0und, HeavyComponent, HellDragon, HellFlyer, hellhammer, Hellmur, Helmuth, ivyking, jberezhnoy, jdeetee, Joseph9560, jsa, jukey, jukzh, kamil365, kojacker, lardman, lcuk, lostinmirkwood, maguitodelrock, Maj3stic, Marcels, MarkusGW, Marshall Banana, mattiviljanen, mbo, mece, meizirkki, Mentalist Traceur, mikec, Mindflyer, mmlado, mobiledivide, N900L, nashith, Netweaver, NokTokDaddy, noobmonkey, nosa101, ossipena, oxpo, ranbaxy, Rauha, REMFwhoopitydo, S0urcerr0r, sachin007, sbock, Schturman, scifi.guy, sjgadsby, skalogre, Steelphoenix, stlpaul, Strutten, Texrat, Thiis, thp, timoph, tissot, traysh, Trestry, Venemo, vkv.raju, w00t, wheatbisc, WilliePre, XNT, xomm, xtcfarhan, zaheerm, zillertal
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ León, Spain
Let's do this. Count me in. I'll be glad to help supporting MeeGo in the N900 :^)

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
Thanks for a good post

Ok. That sounds great as long as we will still get the same newer driver revisions to the N900 as the Meego products with the same SoC will get, and equal OS speed. It will not be ok if Meego gets a 30+fps GUI with flawless vsync, if the same optimizations wont be done to Maemo.

but of course it will be great if the community manages to port Meego (with full driver support) to the N900

btw. an important, and even trivial question - should we be able to expect support for new Qt versions to maemo as long as new Qt versions gets support for Meego?

Last edited by S0urcerr0r; 2010-05-25 at 09:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S0urcerr0r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by S0urcerr0r View Post
Ok. That sounds great as long as we will still get the same newer driver revisions to the N900 as the Meego products with the same SoC will get, and equal OS speed. It will not be ok if Meego gets a 30+fps GUI with flawless vsync, if the same optimizations wont be done to Maemo.

but of course it will be great if the community manages to port Meego (with full driver support) to the N900
We already have updated driver revisions in MeeGo 1.0 for N900 at least. Would be silly to ship old drivers Also, keep in mind, for the hardware adaptation, it is a professional team working on this. What would be provided in here, is basically the differentiation (on top of a UX on top of a hardware adaptation on top of MeeGo Core)
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 360 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Pirkkala, Finland
Hello,

Just in order to be consistent: This kind of work that Quim proposes will be needed to create "full", open and nicely usable system on N900 on top of MeeGo.

Br,
//Harri

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to harrihakulinen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
What would be provided in here, is basically the differentiation (on top of a UX on top of a hardware adaptation on top of MeeGo Core)
Trying to wrap my head around this. What I imagined was that the handheld UX to be released soon after 1.0 would be the reference UX, am I completely off with this? However, by differentiation here you mean the Nokia differentiation on top?

Are we talking about two different projects here, the first under the Linux Foundation MeeGo project(N900 HW adaptation and stuff) and another under Nokia umbrella(differentiation) or am I mixing something up?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Sorry, I thought my first post was clear.

In short, this thread is about creating a Hacker/Community edition for the N900 of the OS and apps that Nokia will ship in the first device based on MeeGo.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Ok, makes more sense now. Thanks to Stskeeps too, didn't manage in time

Does anyone see WRT playing a role here? Or is the current thinking that a MeeGo hacker edition for the n900 would not use WRT as a main component?

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Sorry, I thought my first post was clear.

In short, this thread is about creating a Hacker/Community edition for the N900 of the OS and apps that Nokia will ship in the first device based on MeeGo.
So things like phone, messaging, media player, the nokia versions, will be open source? Are there any plans to open source the maemo versions of these apps once Meego is released?

Tags
harmattan, meego