Notices

Originally Posted by gidzzz View Post

2a) A special distant date

But I'd rather go for 2038, most likely 2^31-1 seconds since 1970 UTC, because the whole 2037 is still completely valid. I think this would be as close to due-less as calendar-backend permits. Such tasks would not have their date displayed in Qalendar.

@jackburton: I installed MaeCalTasks to see exactly how it works, but If the screenshot is from 1.0.0-5, then I am doing something wrong or there's a bug, because I don't see the buttons with "X", "Today" and "Tomorrow".
The latest versions were built during the Nokia to community transition while the autobuilder was down. You can get the latest from here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=73

I also have a question: was 2037 just simpler to use? Or is it to allow also the stock calendar to set such date? I guess It would be nice if Qalendar was compatible with MaeCalTasks in this matter, but I see no definitive reason to choose 2037 over 2038.
It was just simple. Also, the The furthest time that can be represented this way is 03:14:07 UTC on Tuesday, 19 January 2038 according to Wikipedia. So setting any date to 2038 could cause overflow when stored back to the DB. Also, I wanted a way to maintain the original due day and month in case one wants to revert. You could use the last real int for the time structure as a sentinel value, but I'm just using the year portion. Also, I have a filtering mechanism to create custom views for tasks. Since due-less tasks are so far out in the future, these will not be shown.

Or is that X button just a shortcut to toggle the year and 2037 tasks do not get any kind of special treating (2b)?

2b) Just a distant date

There would be a shortcut to set the date to 2037 and that's it. I think it would feel like a quick hack, so I do not really like it.
Sometimes quick hacks "just work". I focused on other more "value-add" items that I wanted first such as my filtering system.

I also created a dynamic way to create system configuration options in the DB. This allows for adding new configs to new versions without huge data structure changes. Poke around there, too.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by jackburton View Post
The latest versions were built during the Nokia to community transition while the autobuilder was down. You can get the latest from here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=73
Why no upload them to autobuilder now when it's working again?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
Why no upload them to autobuilder now when it's working again?
Yeah. I will do that soon. I've been on hiatus from Fremantle development for awhile.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
The offset for task deadline would be loaded and saved only when invoking the editor without a date context, i.e. from the tasks view.
I don't really care which idea will be selected because any one looks good enough to me, but this one looks interesting

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
2a) A special distant date

But I'd rather go for 2038, most likely 2^31-1 seconds since 1970 UTC, because the whole 2037 is still completely valid. I think this would be as close to due-less as calendar-backend permits. Such tasks would not have their date displayed in Qalendar.
Maybe follow BIRTHDAY_CALENDAR and set UNTIL=20371231T235959 ? Value seems to be used already and no need to invent new stuff

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iceskateclog For This Useful Post:
20371231T235959 is the last moment for which the stock calendar will not complain about "Date limit exceeded", so this is still a valid date, thus I think I should have the possibility to use it as a deadline for a task. The idea was to use a date which cannot be displayed, because the deadline should not exist. But anyway, I decided to stick with option 1b for now.

Today is the day on which I decided to release Qalendar 0.7, which with better D-Bus support and alarm tone settings can almost completely replace the default Calendar. There are now only three significant things missing: importing of calendars, a birthday calendar, and an option to set the first day of week (please correct me if I am wrong). All changes below.
  • Support for editing multiple recurrence rules.
  • Alarm tone can be changed in the settings (no previews yet).
  • Overhaul of the note editor to work better with long text.
  • Added a button to create tasks in the day view and the agenda view.
  • Task editor preserves the due date offset if opened from the tasks view.
  • Date change triggers a refresh and the date-based views can follow the current date.
  • Support for D-Bus database change notifications.
  • A task or an event to show can be received via D-Bus (makes the "View" button in reminders work properly).
  • Highlight current date in the agenda view.
  • Keyboard navigation in the agenda view starts on the day in focus.
  • Fixed an offset in week boundaries that could initially appear in the week picker.
  • Fixed a small memory leak in the recurrence editor.
  • Updated translations.

With this release you can go really wild with your recurrences, because the editor allows you to assign multiple rules to one event, making things such as http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=31 possible.

You can notice that there are more default alarm tones than in the default calendar. In case you wonder, Qalendar does not ship any in the package, those are just ui-calendar_alarm_{2,3}.aac from /usr/share/sounds/.

You can complain that the "new task" button is too hard to press at times, but I am quite confident that the size is just right for both aesthetic (aligns nicely with the icons) and self-preservation (translators would kill me if they saw how little space is available for the text on buttons of equal width in portrait mode) reasons.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Germany, Berlin
I just tried qalender the very first time and quite like it. But actually I was looking for some features I desperately miss in default calendar:

- A search or filter function for events. Given one mistakes date/year in a new event, its hard to find it again (having lots of events)

- An option to clone an event (and edit the clone afterwards). Very helpful for events that recur irregularly.

- Having URLs and phone numbers linked to phone or browser app.

- Notes listed in "newest on top" order. Having mor than five notes it is annoying that one has to scroll for the most recent note. Also, filter/search functionality would be nice.

Is there a chance that we will see those features in any future release?
Thanks for your work anyway!
Ulle

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ulle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Originally Posted by Ulle View Post
- A search or filter function for events. Given one mistakes date/year in a new event, its hard to find it again (having lots of events)
Looks like the button will fit in the top left corner.

- An option to clone an event (and edit the clone afterwards). Very helpful for events that recur irregularly.
  • Support for editing multiple recurrence rules.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Not sure about the exact form yet, but yes, sooner or later something of that kind should make its way into Qalendar .

Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
Looks like the button will fit in the top left corner.
Wouldn't that be only for the week view?

I had a different idea about where to stick the global search: Settings->(select a calendar)->Clean up. The "Clean up" (or whatever it would be called) button would open a window with a list of all entries from the selected calendar to allow searching, editing and deleting (multiple entries at once).

If that's just for recurrences, the proper solution would be to extend the recurrence editor (it still does not expose all the features of the underlying calendar engine).

- Having URLs and phone numbers linked to phone or browser app.
Sure sounds useful, but I don't think it's possible to reliably recognize a phone number. I am not very happy to see the SMS app highlighting every 3-digit-or-more number like it's a phone number, but a quick toggle button in the titlebar menu should solve it. So, yes, I think it's a good idea.

- Notes listed in "newest on top" order. Having mor than five notes it is annoying that one has to scroll for the most recent note. Also, filter/search functionality would be nice.
Qalendar 0.7.1 shows recently edited notes first (the only other changes from 0.7 are updated translations and Vietnamese translation by ppanhh).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
If that's just for recurrences, the proper solution would be to extend the recurrence editor (it still does not expose all the features of the underlying calendar engine).
It would also be useful for creating events that have some common properties but are not related otherwise.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foobar For This Useful Post:

Tags
calendar, fremantle