Notices

It seemed like it'd never happen but Fennec is now almost as fast as Microb. I don't know if others have already downloaded beta 3

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o.../binary-armel/

but it is awesome. It is much faster than any previous version Fennec. Without benchmarks to me the performance is definitely on par with MicroB.

Weird stuff still exists... docs.google.com crashes my tab, and it works great on MicroB. FB videos don't work, the maps are too big for the page and there is still no hover mode for FF.

Regardless, I am going to start using it as my main browser just for kicks because I can.. finally! :-)

Last edited by geohsia; 2010-11-05 at 11:09.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geohsia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
I use it as well for a week or so and indeed there are nice improvements!
I had some crash as well but still a beta! So maybe more to come

Originally Posted by P@t View Post
I use it as well for a week or so and indeed there are nice improvements!
I had some crash as well but still a beta! So maybe more to come
Really. Beta 3 has only been available since yesterday 10/4. Is the date wrong?

Is it different from official FF4b2?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...t=firefox+beta

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Fennec have rendered pages faster than MicroB and Opera since alpha 4.0. But it still takes time to start up. Just tried it and can't se much difference in startup time.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Originally Posted by magullo View Post
Is it different from official FF4b2?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...t=firefox+beta
B2 while improved was unusable to me from a performance point of view. Like I said, beta 3 is almost as fast as microb

Edit:

Here's what the browser says:

Firefox/4.0b8pre Fennec/4.0b3pre

I have no idea the b3pre means but this is not b2. Maybe I accidentally pulled a nightly build. It's waay better IMHO. Beta 2 had the problem where the pages would render blank even though the thumbnail showed that it was rendering properly.

Last edited by geohsia; 2010-11-05 at 10:57.

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
Fennec have rendered pages faster than MicroB and Opera since alpha 4.0. But it still takes time to start up. Just tried it and can't se much difference in startup time.

Really? When I used Beta 2, it was so sluggish and crashed so often it was not usable. I've used all of the betas since the beginning.

If the date is right, beta 3 was released on 10/4. If you thought beta 2 was fast, then you'll think beta 3 absolutely screams. To me it is on par with MicroB.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Really? When I used Beta 2, it was so sluggish and crashed so often it was not usable. I've used all of the betas since the beginning.

If the date is right, beta 3 was released on 10/4. If you thought beta 2 was fast, then you'll think beta 3 absolutely screams. To me it is on par with MicroB.
The only problem for me now is the reasource leakage it has. I would not be a minus if it started up faster too.. I think when it is ready will be the best browser functional wise.

The rendering is as before.. i guess you couldn't see it as you apparently downloaded bad builds. When it is not leaking and works good. The speed a page open is swift.

So 4.0b3 is not much difference than before. I like the improvement of the UI though

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

I think Firefox4b2, the one published on Mozilla blog yesterday, and Fennecb3 are different.
I downloaded the version from Mozilla blog, and must say it's fast, a lot faster than previous version, and starts in a reasonable time, a lot faster than b1 and 1.1.
Mine is Firefox/4.0b8pre Fennec/4.0b2

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Düsseldorf
yes, its really faster... but how to enable flash in this version?

Tags
browser, fennec