Active Topics

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I made a new thread for xmimd problems and suggestions. If you want you can post xmimd-specific problems there.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Again : which MeeGo system language are you using ? If not English, try to set it to English and test again.

I'm trying to understant this vkb issue of not working 100% for some users & softwares.
Both Meego and Debian are set to "fr". I'll test the switch to English later, I use my phone to connect to the internet currently so I don't want it to reboot.

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Alright I've tried switching the Harmattan language to English (US) and the Enter and Backspace keys worked in EasyDebian. I reverted Harmattan to French and it is still working in EasyDebian now, so I don't really explain that but at least it works. Not sure it is useful to you. Unfortunately I didn't take the time to check the non-working keys before changing the Harmattan language, to make sure that they were still non-working prior to the change, and to ensure that this is actually the language switch which solved the issue.

However, I'm not sure it is related, but when I start OOWriter from the EasyDebian icon, I get "The application cannot be started. The user interface language cannot be dtermined." and then it closes. I only use applications inside LXDE currently because I've not manage yet to make my Bluetooth keyboard to work properly, so I need the virtual one.

Speaking of the virtual keyboard, is there a way to swipe it down when the selected layout is a Swype one? I guess the "suggested words" bar prevents the swipe down move, but if anybody found a workaround, I'm interested.

Two other unrelated questions :
- Is it possible to know how much space remains on the image to install new packages?
- Any approximate release date for the 1.0.5 Roberto? What you've spoiled about the changelog is exciting!

Last edited by Kabouik; 2012-08-16 at 11:20.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Alright I've tried switching the Harmattan language to English (US) and the Enter and Backspace keys worked in EasyDebian. I reverted Harmattan to French and it is still working in EasyDebian now, so I don't really explain that but at least it works. Not sure it is useful to you. Unfortunately I didn't take the time to check the non-working keys before changing the Harmattan language, to make sure that they were still non-working prior to the change, and to ensure that this is actually the language switch which solved the issue;
So now your vkb on LXDE is 100% ok ?

However, I'm not sure it is related, but when I start OOWriter from the EasyDebian icon, I get "The application cannot be started. The user interface language cannot be dtermined." and then it closes. I only use applications inside LXDE currently because I've not manage yet to make my Bluetooth keyboard to work properly, so I need the virtual one.
Try as user in MeeGo X Terminal :
$ rm -rf ~/.openoffice.org
to delete OpenOffice previous configuration.

Speaking of the virtual keyboard, is there a way to swipe it down when the selected layout is a Swype one? I guess the "suggested words" bar prevents the swipe down move, but if anybody found a workaround, I'm interested.
It would be just a matter of reading the Swype tips, but :
"Hiding the Keyboard: To easily hide the keyboard, just Swype from the Swype key to the backspace key."
doesn't work on my N9, so I just switch to another vkb and close it. Or inside LXDE, I tap in some place without text entry.

Two other unrelated questions :
- Is it possible to know how much space remains on the image to install new packages?
- Any approximate release date for the 1.0.5 Roberto? What you've spoiled about the changelog is exciting!
Use inside Debian terminal (DebianChroot icon) :
# df -h /

V1.1.0 of easy-deb-chroot is planned to be released later today* with some new features, including Javispedro new miracle : (partial) translucent vkb !

(*) : postponed because I am also updating easy-chroot & testing it with SDK images.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-08-18 at 11:15.

Easy Debian Harmattan new V1.1.0 (19/08/2012) is released ! Changelog :
- translucent virtual keyboard inside LXDE using new xmimd_1.2 from Javispedro (thank you 10^10 times, Javispedro);
- Debian root $PATH now includes 'sbin' directories by using new easy_chroot_0.2.0;
- new LXDE icons for opaque vkb and no vkb (thanks to kamilstone idea);
- new icon "FixDebImg" to make the image compatible with Easy Debian Harmattan;
- xephwm (LXDE) support of generic images.

Before installing easy-deb-chroot_1.1.0, install the new versions of easy-chroot (v0.2) and xmimd (v1.2), because they are required.

What "FixDebImg" icon does ? It :
- forces the update of LXDE menu by removing the content of "/home/user/.cache/menus/";
- runs "synchroot", i.e., some MeeGo configuration files are copied to the Debian image. So physical keyboard (Bluetooth or N950's) can work inside LXDE, Internet works, local time is set, user's list is shared;
- "Harmattanizes" the image by copying files from "/home/user/.debian/usr/bin" to Debian image "/usr/bin", so icons outside LXDE, LXDE and virtual keyboard work.
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-08-20 at 00:17.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Sorry man my mistake

Last edited by panukooo; 2012-08-19 at 16:27.

Detailed description of some Debian images, suggested to Easy Debian Harmattan.

These images are Debian 5.0 lenny (February 2009) and/or 6.0 squeeze (February 2011) or Debian 7.0 wheezy (2012, in development).

1) Images where all Easy Debian Harmattan icons work :

1.a) Scientific version based on Qole's default Easy Debian image (04/08/2012), debian-m5-v3e-Sci-2GB.img.ext2.lzma (486 MB of download, ext2 type, 2GB after uncompressing, 176 MB available inside it).
Like the Qole's default image (debian-m5-v3e.img.ext), it is a mix of Debian lenny & squeeze, providing, besides LXDE :
- OpenOffice 3.2.1, Iceweasel/Firefox 3.5.15 (with Java JRE 1.6 and Flash 9.0.31), Icedove/Thunderbird 3.0.1;
- GIMP, Evince (reads PDF, PS and DVI), Leafpad text editor, Synaptic package manager, PC Man file manager, Open Java, Python 2.6.6, etc;
- sound support & tools, Aqualung, GNOME Alsa Mixer, Music Player, PulseAudio.
There are many additional softwares installed, mainly about programming and science :
- Abiword 2.8.2, Gnumeric 1.10.8, Geany and gedit programming text editors, TeXMaker / TeXLive;
- gFTP and SSVNC;
- wxMaxima 12.01 & Maxima 5.26.0, Yacas 1.2.2 CAS (Computer Algebra System);
- Python tools like IPython 0.10, NumPy 1.4.1, MatPlotLib 0.99.3, SciPy 0.7.2, SymPy 0.6.7, PyGlet 1.1.2, Cython, etc;
- gcc/g++ 4.4.5, make, dpkg-dev, etc.

1.b) Scientific version based on experimental Sulu's Debian wheezy image (13/08/2012), "debian-wheezy-sulu-Sci.img.ext2.lzma" (757MB compressed, ext2 type, 3.0 GB, 486MB free), with :
- LibreOffice 3.5.4, Abiword 2.9.2, Gnumeric 1.10.17, Iceweasel / Firefox 10.0.6 (with Java JRE 1.6.0 and Flash 10.1.399), Icedove / Thunderbird 10.0.5;
- TeXMaker / TeXLive;
- wxMaxima 12.04 & Maxima 5.27.0, Yacas 1.3.2 CAS (Computer Algebra System);
- Python 2.7.3 and IPython 0.13 (with notebook and Qt Console interfaces), NumPy 1.6.2, MatPlotLib 1.1.1, SciPy 0.10.1, Sympy 0.7.1, PyGlet 1.1.4, etc;
- gcc/g++/gFortran 4.6.3, make, etc;
- Leafpad, Xarchiver, Evince, gv, GIMP, Filezilla, gFTP, SSVNC, gedit, Geany, etc;
- no wallpaper and menu when "clicked" in desktop background;
- no sound tools;
- gedit .desktop is edited so its icon appears in "Programming" desktop menu, and "IPython Notebook" icon is added.
MeeGo '/etc/group' is not compatible with this image (so dpkg/apt-get install don't work). To revert its copy after "FixDebImg", as root inside Debian (icon "Debian Chroot"), go to the "/etc" directory and copy the "group.<current-date>" file back to "group".

2) other images where some Easy Debian Harmattan icons (outside LXDE) will not work due to not installed softwares. For example, from Qole's site there are Debian images from 2008 to 2012 :

2.a) Qole's default Easy Debian image for Maemo (28/11/2010), debian-m5-v3e.img.ext2.lzma (300MB, 2GB after uncompressing, 612MB available), using Debian lenny & squeeze. It has, besides LXDE :
- OpenOffice 3.2.1, Iceweasel/Firefox 3.5.15 (with Java JRE 1.6 and Flash 9.0.31), Icedove/Thunderbird 3.0.1;
- GIMP, Evince (reads PDF, PS and DVI), Leafpad text editor, Synaptic package manager, PC Man file manager, Open Java, Python 2.6.6, etc;
- sound support & tools, Aqualung, GNOME Alsa Mixer, Music Player, PulseAudio.

2.b) Estel's image using Debian squeeze (16/04/2012), debian-m5-estel.img.ext3.lzma (431MB, ext3 type, 3.1GB after uncompressing,1282 MB free). Its LXDE is optimized for screen space, with :
- LibreOffice 3.4.3, Icedove/Thunderbird 3.1.10, Python 2.6.6;
- Chromium 6.0.472 with Flash / Java plugins, but it doesn't open, error "Failed to move to new PID namespace: Operation not permitted";
- Leafpad, Xarchiver, Putty SSH Client, Evince, gv (GhostView), Aqualung, Brasero, GNOME Alsa Mixer, Music Player, PulseAudio, etc.
This image wouldn't mount the MeeGo "/home/user/" directory, but it currently has a bug in "/.debian/var/run/onfirstchroot-ext.rc" (4th line should be 'umount -f "$CHROOT/home/user") so it still mounts it.
If MeeGo "/home/user/" is not mounted, the virtual keyboard will not work inside LXDE. So if you want the virtual keyboard and to share MeeGo "/home/user/" with Debian, then open Debian X Terminal ("Debian Chroot" icon), change the file "/.debian/var/run/onfirstchroot-ext.rc" by commenting (with '#') the 2 lines with umount and the line with mount.
MeeGo '/etc/group' is not compatible with this image (so dpkg/apt-get install don't work). To revert its copy after "FixDebImg", as root inside Debian (icon "Debian Chroot"), go to the "/etc" directory and copy the "group.<current-date>" file back to "group".

2.c) Sulu's Debian squeeze image (07/04/2012), debian-m5-sulu.img.ext2.lzma (285MB compressed, ext2 type, 2.0GB, 852MB free), with :
- Abiword 2.8.2, Gnumeric 1.10.8, Iceweasel 3.5.16 (with Flash 9.0.31, without Java), Python 2.6.6;
- Chromium 6.0.472 with Flash / Java plugins, but it doesn't open, error "Failed to move to new PID namespace: Operation not permitted";
- Leafpad, Midnight Commander, Xarchiver, Xf (File Explorer, File Packager, Image, View, Writer), Claws Mail, ePDFViewer, gv (GhostView), ImageMagick, Geeqie;
- sound support & tools, Audacity, Music Player;
- there is no wallpaper and menu when "clicked" in desktop background;
- the default language is german, if needed, change by typing :
[root@m5sulu: /] dpkg-reconfigure locales
inside Debian X Terminal (tap "DebianChroot" icon).

2.d) based on experimental Sulu's Debian squeeze image upgraded to wheezy (12/08/2012), debian-wheezy-upgrade-sulu.img.ext2.lzma (506MB compressed, ext2 type, 2.0GB, 240MB free), with :
- Abiword 2.9.2, Gnumeric 1.10.17, Iceweasel/Firefox 10.0.6 (without Flash / Java plugins), Python 2.7.3;
- Chromium ( 20.0.1132.57) doesn't work (there is a bug);
- Leafpad, Midnight Commander, Xarchiver, Xf (File Explorer, File Packager, Image, View, Writer), Claws Mail, ePDFViewer, gv (GhostView), ImageMagick, Geeqie, Audacity, Brasero, Music Player, VLC media player, etc;
- there is no wallpaper and menu when "clicked" in desktop background.

2.e) based on experimental Estel's squeeze upgraded to wheezy (12/08/2012), debian-wheezy-upgrade-estel.img.ext3.lzma (1002MB compressed, ext3 image with 3.0 GB, 708MB free), with :
- LibreOffice 3.5.4, Iceweasel/Firefox 10.0.6 (without Flash / Java plugins), Icedove/Thunderbird 10.0.5, Python 2.7.3;
- Chromium doesn't work (there is a bug);
- Leafpad, Xarchiver, Putty SSH Client, Evince, gv (GhostView), Aqualung, Brasero, GNOME Alsa Mixer, Music Player, PulseAudio, etc;
- "/.debian/var/run/onfirstchroot-ext.rc" doesn't umount "/home/user/" so "/home/user" is shared with Maemo/MeeGo and virtual keyboard works inside LXDE;
- dpkg and apt-get will show warnings "Errors were encountered while processing: network-manager network-manager-gnome", which can be ignored.

The most recommended and tested images are 1.a and 2.a.

Some configuration files of the Debian images are stored in "/home/user/.config/" : lxde, lxpanel, openbox, pcmanfm directories. To reset the configuration, run as root in MeeGo Terminal :
# cd /home/user/.config/
# rm -rf lxde lxpanel openbox pcmanfm
It is useful when switching from one Debian image to another yields strange look & feel.

See here some observations about Flash & Java plug-ins in Iceweasel/Firefox/Chromium.

If you want to change the size of an image, use a desktop Linux and X Terminal, e.g. :
$ resize2fs <image-file-name.img.ext3> 3072M
resizes a uncompressed image to 3.0 GB.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-12-29 at 17:08. Reason: Added tip to resize image.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
I was wondering if I can install lxde aircrack ettercap wireshark nmap or something like that?

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I just installed DOSBox on easydebian, but somehow, the vkb doesn't work over there. It doesn't do anything at all. How can we solve that? (using latest versions of the 3 .deb files)

Hw keyboard just works ok though...

panukoo : no idea, I have no experience with aircrack, etc.

HtheB : maybe another user can answer as I don't use DOSBox in Maemo/MeeGo/Easy Debian.

It is great to see so many different uses of Easy Debian for Maemo/MeeGo.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-08-20 at 03:09.