Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Well, after almost 3 years living with unreliable alarms on my n900, finally there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Could be a train, who knows

package is in CSSU-devel repo, you can install it with apt or by downloading the .deb from here:
http://maemo.merlin1991.at/cssu/comm...ystemui-alarm/

Don't forget to reboot after installing it

Have in mind this is beta quality, so it might have some bugs.

source code here:
https://gitorious.org/community-ssu/osso-systemui-alarm

look at the commits to see what has changed compared to stock, but in short:

Simultaneous alarms should work with no problems, auto/snooze no longer leads to missed alarm events. Fixed a nasty memory leak.

I head that for inclusion in CSSU, but need some testing by those who had the problems stated on 720p thread to confirm there are no more missed alarm events. In other words - I need a couple of guinea pigs

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

Last edited by freemangordon; 2012-11-13 at 08:40.

The Following 50 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
some screenshots would be nice :P
Thanks btw for that you keep working on maemo even in such hard times

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Please do not confuse this with the clock itself, it is more related to the alarm popup that you get.
Thanks for taking care of this part.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ade View Post
Please do not confuse this with the clock itself, it is more related to the alarm popup that you get.
Exactly.
BTW I fixed some bugs since you installed it, you may want to download and install the .deb again

ZogG: This looks exactly like stock alarm event/calendar event popup, no changes on that part.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900

Community SSU developer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
First of all, I was waked up on 8:10. Thanks Of course I had also backup but I was wide awake, thanks to these alarms, before the backup-alarm ringed.

My first reaction was pressing snooze of the 8:10 alarm and so I did. Then waited about half a minute and left the phone ringing to the alarm of 8:12. I stopped 8:12, immediately after I stopped 8.12. 8:11 popped up and started ringing again.

So I stopped 8:11 too.

8:10 was supposed to snooze at 8:15, so it did. Nothing strange, all good. This time instead of snooze, I did nothing, after the hardcoded 60 seconds it turned off. At 8:20 it started to ring again, however, the time that was displayed on the alarm was 8:15, but it was 8:20 in real-time.

Also small-feature request: Prohibit blanking of the screen while an alarm is actively ringing. It does turn the screen on/unlocks but it uses the default time-out value. If one wants to stop/snooze, after 30 seconds (my timeout-value), one needs to reach for the unlockkey first. When I am sleepy, that's too hard for me.
It vaguely remember the default plugin already did it, but I can be wrong as I didn't use the alarm for a long time after it failed one day
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

Last edited by mr_pingu; 2012-11-12 at 07:51. Reason: some typos

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
im ready for testing after creating backup.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
I stopped 8:12, immediately after I stopped 8.12. 8:11 popped up and started ringing again.
So I stopped 8:11 too.
Thats expected, so far so good.

8:10 was supposed to snooze at 8:15, so it did. Nothing strange, all good. This time instead of snooze, I did nothing, after the hardcoded 60 seconds it turned off. At 8:20 it started to ring again, however, the time that was displayed on the alarm was 8:15, but it was 8:20 in real-time.
Yeah, auto-snooze shows the alarm time, not the current time. I think it is better that way(stock behaves like that), though current time must be shown somewhere too.

Also small-feature request: Prohibit blanking of the screen while an alarm is actively ringing. It does turn the screen on/unlocks but it uses the default time-out value. If one wants to stop/snooze, after 30 seconds (my timeout-value), one needs to reach for the unlockkey first. When I am sleepy, that's too hard for me.
It vaguely remember the default plugin already did it, but I can be wrong as I didn't use the alarm for a long time after it failed one day
you can always turn it face-down to snooze . Though blanking the display might be a bug, I'll check that.

Thanks a lot for the testing.

In the meanwhile a newer version .deb is on the same place, it fixes the last (I hope) bug.

Community SSU developer

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post

source code here:
https://git.gitorious.org/community-...emui-alarm.git
Produces this:

Not Found

The requested URL /community-ssu/osso-systemui-alarm.git was not found on this server.
Apache Server at git.gitorious.org Port 80
Downloading & opening the .deb with application manager, on CSSU-testing, produces the error bar:
Unable to update 'osso-systemui-alarm'.
Incompatible application package.
I am personally hoping to see the Snooze button increased in size relative to the Stop button, maybe 66% to 33%.

Last edited by rotoflex; 2012-11-12 at 08:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
is the .deb for replacement of the stock Alarm UI. Don't forget to reboot after installing it
I still haven't tested the new libalarm, but will install it in one of the dev N900s.

As a bug report, this is as bad as it gets, but it's only happened once (I'm talking stock PR1.3, no CSSU, no nothing):

One day I was in the lift (aka "elevator"), looking at my display, when suddenly an alarm popped-up (on the display, still no sound, usually takes a second or two to start ringing). Given that I was actively looking at the display, when I saw the alarm pop-up I instantly tapped on "close". The alarm UI closed, but then the ring started sounding, with no UI to turn it off. Given the "urgency" of the situation (other people were looking at me as if I was just trying to bother them , I resorted to turning off the N900 by holding the power button for a few seconds.

Obviously there's a race condition somewhere, but I didn't bother investigating further (alarms usually *wake* me up, so I'm never so quick so as to reproduce the bug).

Perhaps you can have a look? (I will myself take a look at the code, but don't expect that I will find the bug, assuming it's in osso-systemui-alarm.c.

Thanks in advance!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
aaargh, silly me, forced myself to reflash, doh Need to get my N900 up and running again, will test the new .deb ASAP

@rotoflex: Use dpkg -i from terminal.
cd to download folder, dpkg -i packagename (needs superuser or root privileges)
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:

Tags
alarm clock, nokia n9