Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Please check out the following new Brainstorm idea:

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ful_resources/

Abstract:

A recurring theme in Talk that won't go away is quickly getting visitors, particularly newcomers, to resources they require. Too often the questions are misplaced and interrupt the regular flow. This is especially frustrating when the same questions recur at high frequency.

I believe we need to look at not only the conventional ideas but also the unconventional.
I have proposed one solution so far, called Maemo Greeters, which I believe has potential. Additional solutions are of course very welcome.

Please comment on the idea at the actual Brainstorm page.

Thanks!

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-10-21 at 15:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Right now, I'm a rank n00b myself. But this is a role I'd like to voluteer for in due course. I'm pretty quick to learn and a natural "people" person, and good at explaining things in plain Englidh The reason I'm not welcoming newcomers right now is that it seems cheeky when I've not been here a fortnight myself. I'm happy to hand-hold people through scary things obver the intermet (like reflashing a brick, when we get the factory image)

The other advantage is that I'm not a developer, so you wouldn't be taking time from someone who could be better used elsewhere. This could be something I could contribute to the community (other than my amazing wit and stunning good looks... )

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Kathy, I think it would be great if you could document what you're going through through this learning\exploration\discovery process from your 'new to maemo' viewpoint, as what has been seen cannot be unseen...

Just a thought

ps: voted the brainstorm
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
Right now, I'm a rank n00b myself. But this is a role I'd like to voluteer for in due course. I'm pretty quick to learn and a natural "people" person, and good at explaining things in plain Englidh The reason I'm not welcoming newcomers right now is that it seems cheeky when I've not been here a fortnight myself. I'm happy to hand-hold people through scary things obver the intermet (like reflashing a brick, when we get the factory image)

The other advantage is that I'm not a developer, so you wouldn't be taking time from someone who could be better used elsewhere. This could be something I could contribute to the community (other than my amazing wit and stunning good looks... )
The the impotence of spoofreading.

Just double check your post for spelling mistakes, especially when you're going to gloat about your "Englidh" level. Also, I don't think anyone is taking time as you put it. We merely accept effort offered to us.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland

could you please take notes every time something is bothering your mind. I'd love to have a list from you so I would have better streetmap to start creating stuff to wiki. that's one (very good!) way to contribute.

if you decide to do a list, could you PM it to me or look at my profile for email address (i'll add it right away)
e: i can't add the email and i dont want to shout it loud. so send PM if needed.

Last edited by ossipena; 2009-10-15 at 10:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
The the impotence of spoofreading.

Just double check your post for spelling mistakes, especially when you're going to gloat about your "Englidh" level. Also, I don't think anyone is taking time as you put it. We merely accept effort offered to us.
I'm sorry all you saw in my post was a typo. You may not be aware how incredibly daunting this site is to anyone to whom the huge amount of jargon and technical detail is incomprehensible. Far from 'gloating' about plain english, I am very aware how 'unplain' most of the posts around here are. As a non-tech, I am completely out of my depth. As such, I do actually relate to the people this thread was about.

The point about 'taking' time is that I'm conscious of the huge amount of volunteer time people have put into this project. It seems to me poor time management for someone with development skills to be hand-holding newbies if a non-developer can do it.

But if that's how you prefer it, I'll withdraw my offer.

I hope there are no typos in this post: my eyesight is less than perfect.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
...and here I thought it was intentional "cute" typo

However, being provoked so easily, I fear I have to question the "people person" part...

Still, I agree the site needs to become more "Joe The Plummer" -friendly, so anything is welcome.

The Following User Says Thank You to Suurorca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
But if that's how you prefer it, I'll withdraw my offer.
Please don't. Responses can often be unduly harsh (/me thwacks CrashandDie) but that type rarely represents the norm.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Perhaps it would make more sense to partition the site and create an all new 'areas' for the uninitiated.

Those who are interested in developing for the platform or rabid fans who are interested to learn more about maemo community shouldn't have much problem finding their way here anyway. But most of the content here may not be newbie-oriented to interest them (or to interest those who posts here to explain what they're talking about to the new ppl on their every other posts).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by Suurorca View Post
...and here I thought it was intentional "cute" typo

However, being provoked so easily, I fear I have to question the "people person" part...

Still, I agree the site needs to become more "Joe The Plummer" -friendly, so anything is welcome.
No, it was a typo, plain and simple. I'm a very ordinary human and prone to imperfections. My eyesight is deteriorating alarmingly, which is a bit of a sore subject. That and the fact that I was dashing out to work meant I didn't triple check my post.

People persons are usually quite sensitive - that's why we can understand how others feel. Throwing back an offer out of hand really wasn't very kind, especially not in a thread that was about how to make people feel more welcome.

Maybe what this place needs is a sister site for Joe the Plumber, where he (or she) can ask basic questions in less than perfect grammar without having threads become full of technicality.

Last edited by RevdKathy; 2009-10-15 at 17:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post: