How many people here would be willing to chip in for a bounty for someone to port an office suite to the N800 and upcoming N810?

The N800 already does everything I need it to do as a communication device and web browser, and if I could use it as a word processor, it could completely replace a laptop a lot of the time (with a bluetooth keyboard).

Why is there still no word processor? It seems like porting gnumeric would have been just as, if not more, complicated.

To quote the poetess and muse of our age, Britney Spears, "Gimme More!"

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Put me down for 50 euros, provided the suite has at least a wordprocessor (minimum Abiword specs), a spreadsheet (Gnumeric or better) and a (flatfile is fine) database.

I'll even pay in advance, provided the developer can show some credencials.

Oh, and don't ever quote C*nty Spears anymore. Ever...

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ London, UK
Put me down for for 50E too as long as it has a calendar and can sync with Outlook

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Abiword doesn't count as a word processor?

Abiword doesn't count unless it's stable and can deal with MS (yeah, I know), and preferably OOwriter documents in my book. That said, I'm willing to chip in also. Even ahead of time if dev has credentials.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Before anyone asks (because I know someone will), OpenOffice is far too heavy and requires Java.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
So is MS compatability needed or just word/excel like applications? Need to define this? If ms compatibility is needed to what degree, word 97, 2000, 2003, 2007?

I would be happy with a simple RTF with spellcheck and printing support, but Abi already has those capabilities, although stability is another question.

I haven't played with Abiword on the tablets, but on PCs I've never had a stability problem. How bad is it on the tablets? Crashes all the time?

Making KOffice work on IT? It has almost everything which one needs (almost unfortunately covers MS formats compatibility - it is possible to import - with loss of most formatting - but impossible to export)

I'll put myself down for $100, or more if the dollar sinks even further in the coming weeks.

it would be ideal if word docs could be open and saved.

I really think that the existence of an office suite for the masses would generate huge demand for these devices. It's a glaring omission from the current software offerings.