Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Which music player do you like the most?
Poll Options
Which music player do you like the most?

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
How is the built in media player once ogg libraries are installed?

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
How is the built in media player once ogg libraries are installed?

One thing that I could never figure out in the built in media player was how to restrict it to only look for media files in certain directories/subdirectories. I kept ending up with music, podcasts, etc all jumbled up in it.

Having tried all the others (except Quasar which I will now try) I'm using xmms, simply because its the only one which deos not distort Bass and can play continuously from one track to another without a horrific pause. Of course it has major downsides like being horrifically un finger friendly but the playback is my priority, I'd love to find another player that has it though.

Originally Posted by RichS View Post
Having tried all the others (except Quasar which I will now try) I'm using xmms, simply because its the only one which deos not distort Bass and can play continuously from one track to another without a horrific pause. Of course it has major downsides like being horrifically un finger friendly but the playback is my priority, I'd love to find another player that has it though.
Almost exactly what I was going to say. And it's the only player (as far as I know) to have a proper equaliser. Just remember to knock the pre-amp down a bit to avoid distortion.

When I'm at a desk I always use it, but on the train or walking, I can't beat Canola's UI.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Does xmms play, and easily handle playlists for, ogg files?

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Does xmms play, and easily handle playlists for, ogg files?

I dont have much ogg stuff but I dont think so, as for playlists I've never had a problem but my needs are very basic, a filemanager system and clicking 'add to playlist' has always done me.

FWIW, xmms is slightly more finger-friendly in double size mode (ctrl-d). And it does play .ogg files, but I don't know if any special tricks are required to include them in playlists. I also do not recall if I had to install any extra files to get .ogg support.

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Even though it's not really updated anymore, Kagu is still my favorite for music. It has a sleep timer which is great for listening at bedtime, it plays ogg vorbis files; and I find that of all the apps out there, it does the best job of finding album and artist art.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
And your favorite player for .ogg files?

If I double-click an ogg file, it will play in mplayer, but just that one song. File > Open in mplayer does not show ogg files, so I can't make a playlist.

YouAmp forever says it's Updating Database but never finds any songs. I have only ogg files for music, so I don't know if it's a general problem with my YouAmp or if it's ogg-specific.

So I use Canola, even though it's a heavy footprint for an application I use solely for its music capabilities .

I'd be glad to know another program that played well with multiple ogg files.
It seems like you can 'oggify' many of the players (see link: http://ogg.garage.maemo.org/diablo.html ) including;
- built in Nokia media player,
- Kilikali,
- UKMP.

Here is Kilikaly playing Oggs: http://kilikali.garage.maemo.org/ima...ikali-v0.1.jpg

Granted a very small population, but I find it interesting/surprising that the built-in Nokia Player is the most popular player even amongst such a savvy/adventurous group.

It must be better than what I remember

(My own sordid love-affair with Quasar continues...it's so darn pretty).

Tags
canola, quasar