Active Topics

I want to use N770 as photo frame. If any body already doing this or has ideas, please jump in.

I was posing on other thread about same, but then I thought that instead of hijacking that thread, I should start a new thread.

Questions:

Q1: What app to use for slideshow. I used "Mirage" but Mirage stops after it had done showing all photos in the folder. It does not loop through the photos.

I found "Quiver" image viewer. It does loop through, but it does n ot give control to how many seconds to show a picture. But I can live with that if there is no alternative.

It will be nice if app can show EXIF date stored in pic. But that is truly an advanced feature. I can live without that.

Q2: How to create a frame or stand. The charger plugs in from bottom, so it does not make it easy to just put it on any surface. Probably I need to make a frame. Has anybody done it, if yes, then how and any pics will help. If you just have ideas, then also please chime in.

Q3. How to display clock (analog or digital) along with the slideshow (on one corner) of the photos.

Q4. Is there an easy way to transfer pics to N770 from laptop ? May be using WiFi or bluetooth which does not require any manual interaction on the N700, i.e can just be done by laptop remotely.

A5: Also an app acmonitor (http://pupnik.de/800powr.html) will be required to keep screen on while plugged in. I have not used this app yet.
Any general ideas are also welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited by tama; 2008-08-21 at 14:36.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Hamburg, Germany
hi there,
i am stuck here in spain doing a job that cetainly will least
until november what means that i can not update any
gadgets to my mojocafe website.

This saying i want to inform you that in case that you seek
for a full screen clock, you will find some mojos there!
the link is http://www.mojocafe.net

greetings,
carlos

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
I was considering doing this with Canola. It will keep the display on when a charger is plugged in and it will loop a slideshow.

It would be nice if it had different transitions and a control on how long to display the picture.

Frank

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Victoria, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by tama View Post
I found "Quiver" image viewer. It does loop through, but it does n ot give control to how many seconds to show a picture. But I can live with that if there is no alternative.

It does. Check the slideshow preferences:

Edit -> Preferences

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Q1 - Try canola, it will keep the display lit, and you can play music. But no control on how long the slides go.

Q2 - Styrofoam, or wood. Make two little legs around the 770. Picture frame hack maybe? (I love the stand in the N8x0)

Q3 - This will be difficult, I have not seen any app like this (its like a Mac widget type thing right?)

Q4 - Transfer of photos over wifi... Many ways to do this. You can setup a FTP server on 770, use openSSH and SFTP, etc... SFTP is probably the best if you have linux, but even windows can do sftp (use filezilla). So look up SFPT and SSH.

hope i helped

A3 - needs a hacked up version of oclock, xdaliclock, or similar.

The changes needed are to tell the WM it's always on top, non-decorated, etc.

Actually, I think it may be possible with no hacking, using wmctrl to tell the WM the same stuff. I may look into this, as it's an interesting project for me, too.

A4 - I was thinking it's possible to set up the N800 (I assume similar for 770, at least with OS2008HE) to receive BT automatically; I know openSSH/sftp will suffice, as I do that routinely on mine; ftp is unsecure, so unless your wireless network is trusted (i.e. WPA) you want to be very careful setting it up right.

A5 - Not sure that is needed, if you're running OS2008HE; at least in OS2008 on N800, that functionality is now built-in.

Thanks for reply guys. I will try each of the suggestion one by one. Here is the status till now.

Q1: What app to use for slideshow. I used "Mirage" but Mirage stops after it had done showing all photos in the folder. It does not loop through the photos.

It will be nice if app can show EXIF date stored in pic. But that is truly an advanced feature. I can live without that.
As mikemorrison suggested, I found slide duration in Edit-> Prferences. I did look at preferences before posting here, but some how I missed it.

Frank Banul, Thesandlord, I tried installing canola, but it keeps failing for me. I am not sure why. But for now Quiver seems to do what I wanted.

Q2: How to create a frame or stand. The charger plugs in from bottom, so it does not make it easy to just put it on any surface. Probably I need to make a frame. Has anybody done it, if yes, then how and any pics will help. If you just have ideas, then also please chime in.
I made a crude stand for it. I will post pictures here soon. It is simple and easy.

Q3. How to display clock (analog or digital) along with the slideshow (on one corner) of the photos.
Benson, I will looking forward for results of your experimentation of the clock.

Q4. Is there an easy way to transfer pics to N770 from laptop ? May be using WiFi or bluetooth which does not require any manual interaction on the N700, i.e can just be done by laptop remotely.
My wifi is secured. When I tried installing OpenSSH, it keeps on saying that there is a conflict with "Dropbear" which is another SSH client.

A5: Also an app acmonitor (http://pupnik.de/800powr.html) will be required to keep screen on while plugged in. I have not used this app yet.
Any general ideas are also welcome.

Thanks.
Quiver seems to be doing this. The screen does not dim or off when quiver slideshow in full screen mode is running.

I will keep you posted here, meanwhile keep ideas coming.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK

The photos look very tiny and is very difficult even to recognize faces when seen from a distance more than 10 feet. I wanted to use it as a photo frame in my living room, but display is tiny. So I am giving up and probably sell my n770.

It may still be used as photo frame on computer desk in work place or home, but that is not what I want.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
My wifi is secured. When I tried installing OpenSSH, it keeps on saying that there is a conflict with "Dropbear" which is another SSH client.
Replace dropbear with OpenSSH. OpenSSH is superior.