Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
i wouldn't even be afraid of bricking my device while testing. it's just that i don't know how to easily check for the most basic things like is it optified, does it uninstall cleanly, are there memory issues or does it drain battery.... i read the wiki page, but it seems to be written for developers, not for end users.

so it boils down to: i don't feel competent enough to give my opinion.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Benny, the thanks is for the first part of your post and not the last part.

Checking for optification is where there is also confusion with me. The installed "Memory" app reports the 2 gig space but does it report the rootfs space as well? How do we tell the difference? What command line tools are useful with all this? etc., etc., yabba, dabba, doo.

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
YoDude, the thanks is mainly for the first part of your post.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Doesn't help that the website is being ran on a 286.
I mean come on, this is unacceptable for a multibillion euro company.

This is comical: http://wiki.maemo.org/ISP_Move
"Agreement with the new ISP has been signed. Now we are waiting for them to get the hardware to the server room." This has been the status for the last 2 months.

Relativistic, this is annoying, but only a minor nuisance; you will need to invest time to test the application... hours, maybe days to be sure it does what it claims to do, that it doesn't start acting up after being shut down and restarted, etc ... only then you interact with maemo.org to vote thumbs up or down and give a comment. - That this last part is taking a minute longer than it should needn't prevent anyone from voting if he already has tested the application.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Relativistic View Post
"Agreement with the new ISP has been signed. Now we are waiting for them to get the hardware to the server room." This has been the status for the last 2 months.
I totally agree - unfortunately fits into the overall behavior of Nokia regarding the N900/maemo...

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Checking for optification is where there is also confusion with me. The installed "Memory" app reports the 2 gig space but does it report the rootfs space as well? How do we tell the difference? What command line tools are useful with all this? etc., etc., yabba, dabba, doo.
The "Memory" app doesn't report the rootfs space at all. From the command-line you can run "df -h" to see the free space - the two rows you'll want to look at are "rootfs" (mounted on /) and "/dev/mmcblk0p2" (mounted on /home - /opt is a symlink to /home/opt).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
I believe that a lot of people here are not aware of the existence of this page:

http://maemo.org/packages/repository...extras-testing
It would be useful if this page allowed some sort of sorting or filtering or at least displaying all packages in testing so one could use ones browser's search to look for packages.

I've been trying to help use and test -testing packages but find the current maemo.org web response makes the process tedious (garage often seems to take forever to display).

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Denmark
It would be a lot easier, if I could create an account https://garage.maemo.org/account/register.php

Or gosh, I don't know, use one of my existing 2 Maemo.org accounts, and not create a 3rd (!) (Forum, bugtracker, extras)

Also, why do some of the applications I have already installed from extras also appear in extras-testing ? Very confusing.

The Following User Says Thank You to real_per For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by real_per View Post
Also, why do some of the applications I have already installed from extras also appear in extras-testing ? Very confusing.
Because they are updates for the old versions

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:

Tags
testing apps