Posts: 149 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
No way the email in the 1st post is from Elop... 5 sentences, and not one contains the word "ecosystem"!

The Following User Says Thank You to glabifrons For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zymo View Post
writing emails is imho useless. management made their decision thinking wp7 will be Nokias salvation. only the upcoming quarter results can make change their minds.
But wp7 has already been dumped for w8, all HTML 5 and javascript, all the time.

And they have a year and a half to decide what to dump that for,

Originally Posted by oweng View Post
.... and my N900 still works perfectly fine, so do I just wait and see how well or badly the N9 is received, and to see what else comes out.

You never know WP8 might be some kind of N9 clone???
doubt it, wp8 will never be open or based on linux kernel.

by default its inferior because its based windows CE kernel.

n900 600mhz, opens WebOS faster than 1ghz snapdragon native.

same need for speed.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by lma View Post
That particular MUA is a perfect example, and its successor looks like it might end up being even worse.
Yeah but we still don't know that for sure yet do we?
That posts from yonks ago, we need some verification from a N9 user with latest build.

It is a bit worrying that Elop only took 10 minutes to reply, you would hope he would have more pressing things to deal with at the moment than to reply immediately to a customers email?

I wonder what time 2 pm is in the states, it seems odd his email shows the same time line as the one sent in the UK?

Whoever replied did so without obligation and was courtious enough to give me a satisfactory answer, not exactly the one I wanted to hear, but I'm a big boy, so I will just thank them and make up my own mind

Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
It is a bit worrying that Elop only took 10 minutes to reply, you would hope he would have more pressing things to deal with at the moment than to reply immediately to a customers email?

I wonder what time 2 pm is in the states, it seems odd his email shows the same time line as the one sent in the UK?

Nokia care just got back to me with

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This Nokia Customer Care message is in response to your email request

Dear Mr. G******,

Thank you for contacting Nokia Careline.

We appreciate your concern and sentiments toward Nokia. We are also grateful for the gainful insight that you have shared with us. We are going to forward this to the attention of the relevant department so that we may review our products and future plans for improvemant in the light of your analysis.

Moving forward to your concern, after the very positive reception to the launch of the Nokia N9 the product is now being rolled out in countries around the world. You are correct that tt this time, we will not be making it available in the UK. Nevertheless, it does not mean that it will never be released in the country. Nokia takes a market by market approach to product rollout and each country makes its own decisions about which products to introduce from those available. Decisions are based on an assessment of existing and upcoming products that make up Nokia’s extensive product portfolio and the best way in which to address local market opportunities.

If you have any other concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again as we are more than willing to be of assistance.

For updates and more information about Nokia, please feel free to check our website. Kindly refer to the link below:

http://www.nokia.co.uk/support

You may also call our Customer Care Hotline at 0845-045-5555, Mon-Fri 9am to 7pm (except bank and public holidays).

Yours sincerely,

Leif G.
Nokia Service Professional
UK & Ireland Team
Nokia Care

The Following User Says Thank You to oweng For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Yeah but we still don't know that for sure yet do we?
That posts from yonks ago, we need some verification from a N9 user with latest build.
Going from past experience, and given that the source is now closed, we^Wyou need an alternative client. Claws won't cut it this time (needs GTK+ to be ported first, and it wouldn't be usable with a finger-only UI anyway), but the author of Trojitá just got accepted for a loaner N950 via the extended community device program.

You miss my point, forget the OS, I'm talking UI.

We all seem to forget that most of the public only care if it looks good, and works well.

They don't want a terminal or hackers device.

I suspect that a smoother, more swipe like WP8 is on its way.

Originally Posted by jo21 View Post
doubt it, wp8 will never be open or based on linux kernel.

by default its inferior because its based windows CE kernel.

n900 600mhz, opens WebOS faster than 1ghz snapdragon native.

same need for speed.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by zymo View Post
writing emails is imho useless. management made their decision thinking wp7 will be Nokias salvation. only the upcoming quarter results can make change their minds.
Well if that's the only thing that'll change their minds then MeeGo's fate is sealed.
Because everything they're doing/done will ensure it does poorly, even compared to WP.
Which I don't think will do a stellar job but will do better, thanks to the huge preferential treatment it's getting (& of course MS's LT backing).
And that will be all the justification Elop needs to say:
"See, N9/MeeGo is doing too poorly, we have to push-ahead even harder with WP only."

.... and my N900 still works perfectly fine, so do I just wait and see how well or badly the N9 is received, and to see what else comes out.
You never know WP8 might be some kind of N9 clone???
If I were you, I'd wait until there's a few detailed/impartial comparos between it, & some of the Android muscle phones.
The 1st will come out a few weeks before iP5, so if you can wait even longer, you'll get a "three way".
I suspect a ****-load of people are going to be very surprised with just how well it holds-up against the likes of SGSII.

I suspect overall it'll actually come out on top...
The only truly weak area, will be it's relatively miniscule repository of "commercial grade" apps.
Free apps repository will be slightly bigger, but it'll still be miniscule comparatively speaking.
But I think it'll make up for all that with it's amazing level of built-in functionality (not just the pretty UI).

BUT... That won't help it for long, as Ice Cream Sandwich will be just around the corner.
And even if it doesn't quite close the gap, the huge apps disparity will almost certainly tip the scales.
So Nokia needs to be continuing to try to grow N9's commercial/free apps repos.
If it lets that fade-out entirely, then the N9 will lose any edge within a matter of months.
Plus new iterations of the SG Sxx series will be out in Q1 2012.*

And iP5 + iOS5 will also most certainly pip it in just about every aspect.
But it's more of an unknown quantity compared to Android phones...
Many rumors suggest a fairly mediocre release, except for software, & a much bigger one in May 2012.
And it's avg. unlocked price is likely to be higher, unless Nokia continues to deliberately not price N9 aggressively
Plus iP5 will have the advantage of widespread carrier subsidization, "worldwide".

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Going from past experience, and given that the source is now closed, we^Wyou need an alternative client. Claws won't cut it this time (needs GTK+ to be ported first, and it wouldn't be usable with a finger-only UI anyway), but the author of Trojitá just got accepted for a loaner N950 via the extended community device program.
Maybe, time will tell if still is as bad in that area. If it is...
Trojitá looks like a beautiful potential salvation, thanks mate!

You miss my point, forget the OS, I'm talking UI.
We all seem to forget that most of the public only care if it looks good, and works well.
They don't want a terminal or hackers device.
I suspect that a smoother, more swipe like WP8 is on its way.
If that happens Nokia can almost certainly kiss good-bye to it's own OS ambitions LT.
Why would it use all it's hard-earned R&D to prop-up WP even further?
Makes no sense whatsoever... Then again much of what Elop's done, hasn't.
A glorified skin would make sense, not transposing every UI aspect used in Harmattan.
And yes, the base & middle-ware is very important, not just the UI...

*I mean truly improved overall, not offshoots that are specialized in one area or another

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-08-12 at 09:30.