Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
Question for owners:

Does it have technical specs (ARM Cortex A-8 CPU, 32GB) written on the back when you open the keyboard or not?

Mine does. Though the writing is so small I struggled a bit!

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Michigan, USA
For anyone who has N900, what do you think about the call reception quality? is it any good?

I have N78 and Nokia 6610 and from my experience the call reception quality using 6610 is a lot better than using N78.

Well, can't report any problems with call quality.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iJanne For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by smage View Post
any of you using a screen protector? and if you are using one, which brand it is, and how much does it affect the touchscreen performance?
I use the DuraSec protector. They are incredibly tough and I got used very quickly to the feel. (Plus, they're not too expensive and if you search you can find a code here that gives you free shipping and handling.)

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mattmull View Post
Could anyone currently with an n900 comment on the using the phone functions? How is the call quality on both ends, comfortable to listen and talk into, speaker phone quality, etc...? Easy to scroll through contacts even one handed? How do voice calls affect the battery? On most of the reviews I've read they seem to give the phone part the thumbs up, but they never really go into a lot of detail.

Thanks! The waiting is killing me
Call quality is ok. Phone app quick to respond when it's running. It appears phone app isn't active all the time in the background - just a "call monitor". So when the call monitoring daemon sees an incoming call it starts the phone app. This sometimes takes 3-5 seconds and so I might even hear the ringtone, but see only a black screen while it's loading.

Today, the mic stopped working, so the person on the other end couldn't hear me. A boot fixed that problem. Only experienced it once.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:
Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
From Twitter:

Engadget's Chris Ziegler: I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the n900 is the best pocketable way to browse the web, period.

LOL Even engadget has to admit something!

The Following User Says Thank You to bbin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bbin View Post
From Twitter:

Engadget's Chris Ziegler: I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the n900 is the best pocketable way to browse the web, period.

LOL Even engadget has to admit something!
That isn't really surprising, because... well...

It is the best pocketable way to browse the web, period.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iJanne For This Useful Post:
CRAP, shitty crap.
Did anyone test it in roaming?
F**ng crappy ****
As always...

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Absolutely! Free Open Source Software doesnīt cut it when joining the big boys club.

The difference is between having a guy, no matter how good of a programmer he is, doodling with this as his 3rd, 4th or 5th priority after his family, work, golfing, football, or having someone rely on this to pay his mortgage and food for his family.

I mean really. I love old cars, but how much time do I have left to play with my old carīs after doing my daily work for 9 hours, spending time with my wife and son and using my evenings studying. Not too many hours every week! Same goes for the amateur programmer.

It is a nice lofty goal to have knowledgeable amateur programmers which are willing to put their efforts into apps that donīt appear on the market, donīt have commercial value, or seek advice from when something goes wrong.

But if Nokia is going to make Maemo the cream of the crop, the amateur programmer just doesnīt cut it. And I am not using the word amateur in the meaning novice, but in the meaning someone who does it as a hobby in his spare time.

Regardless of whether it is a free application or paid for people still need to report bugs and suggest features to get their pet peeves added to applications. There is no difference between FOSS and commercial in that sense. But when something fails Iīd rather go to someone whoīs livelyhood depends on the application, rather than the friendly guy Jim who has to take care of his dayjob and family before he can look at the app.

Then when it comes to people that somewhat rely on the device and applications to work over 99% of the time, poor old Jim just doesnīt stand a chance and is completely unacceptable.

This is probably why the linux distro's are sidelined into a small corner of the pc market. The insistence on open source, and free, keeps the real world economics and usability out of Linux. It just canīt make it in the mainstream without having added balance between free and commercial.
It sounds like you are living in the past. Linux and open source dominate on the world's most powerful supercomputers running the most important and mission critical applications anywhere. Linux and open source also have a huge share among critical Internet servers. Companies like Google run their entire businesses on open source. So your assumptions are clearly not up to date.

Reality is that open source is the best software model for the future. However, it is not presently the dominant model in the consumer space. That can change thanks to events we are witnessing now. Nokia's support of Maemo is one such event.

We, as consumers, need to educate ourselves about the impact of our purchasing decisions. It is no different from thinking about human rights, the environment, fair trade, sustainability and other important issues when purchasing clothing, food, cars or any other products.

At times, such as when buying one of the first hybrid vehicles, people do choose to buy smart even if it means there are compromises. There are always compromises. But sometimes it makes sense to look ahead and see what choices are best for the future.

Clearly, supporting open source on phones, handhelds and the desktop is best for the future. If open source doesn't win, we lose.

I would like to respectfully ask everyone who is bashing Nokia to educate themselves about the remarkable work Nokia is doing to support open source -- e.g., our rights, our freedoms, our empowerment.

Yes, the N900 is not perfect. It may not be the device for everyone. Nokia told us that before the N900 was launched!

If you are having problems with your N900, go to https://bugs.maemo.org and register (yes, again!) and vote for any bugs that you feel are important.

Maemo is about the future. Please keep that in mind. If you invest all your energy in tearing down Maemo and the N900, you are building a future for yourself where you will have much less freedom of choice about what you can do with the devices you purchase.

Again, the N900 might not be for everyone right now, but what open source represents certainly is better for any individual's future. (I recognize that some commercial software companies may go the way of the dinosaur, but others will rise up to replace them. Those that rise up will be built on the foundations of personal freedom.)

I am running Linux on all my own computers. I'm typing this on openSUSE 11.2 on my Thinkpad T61p. This is 100% equal to any commercial software in the world today. In fact, it is far, far better. I have zero compromises. Linux meets or exceeds every one of my needs better than any other product, including the most expensive closed source products on the market.

It was not always the case the Linux on the desktop was such a superior experience. In fact, version 11.2 of openSUSE is really the first time I can make this statement. But open source has a strong tailwind (strong momentum) behind it and things are improving rapidly. Maemo is a great example of this momentum. And it could be that with Maemo 6, I will be able to say the same thing I am saying about openSUSE 11.2 -- no closed source product can beat it. (Actually, that is very close to being true for Maemo 5/N900 now, and with a few updates coming it may be the reality before we know it.)

As I said, the best, most important, most profitable business, most critical enterprises, most advanced science projects run open source software. It is not inferior in any way. Proprietary, closed source software is the one that suffers from inherent limitations (because its source is closed). So the potential is there.

But we all know that Linux and open source projects are not yet dominating the consumer marketspace. That means there will be inconveniences at times compared to going with the more common route. Again, it is not unlike making the hard choices to support any other emerging technology that represents a better way forward. Many people will be tempted to take the easy way, to just do what is most convenient for this moment. Yet, for those of us who are aware of the bigger picture, we recognize that we can shape the future by our choices right now. And we are willing to accept some compromises now in order to empower this vision for a better world.

Fortunately, the compromises we now have to make in order to support open source on a phone/pocket computer are very, very minor. (And I'm not suggesting that anyone put up with critical bugs not being quickly fixed!) I am suggesting that instead of putting so much energy into looking for every minor thing wrong with a groundbreaking product like the N900, we put that energy into making sure the vision for freedom on our smart phones thrives -- for our own benefit.

With a little patience and community involvement the N900 can be the very best product in its class. It is so close. And no other product offers the community so much ability to make this true, to shape the reality of the product we use.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
ok a day in, and no support for my 3 simyet...but wow. i love it.
i just sync'd my contacts with my e71 over bluetooth. then used hermes to magically pull info from facebook and twitter. how cool is that?

browsing is fast, flash works great, i'm finding the screen size less of a problem than I feared.

it would be nice to see a few more apps filter up to availiable. such as maemo-mapper, macchanger, python-glade...
maybe i just need to add some repositories.

anyway so far, very impressed.
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

Tags
first impressions, fremantle, impressions, initial impressions, maemo, maemo 5, moderator, n900, out of box, out of box experience, please merge, review, shiny